SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

What's Wrong with my Chocolate Chips? They Didn't Melt!

plllog
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

I was making the matzah toffee. No biggie, right? Though the first box of matzah was burnt! Better to find out now rather than Friday, right? The toffee itself seemed to go fine, but the chips--Nestle's Semi-Sweet--did not melt! I had tasted a couple before I spread them (just because they're chocolate, no suspicion of anything wrong) and they seemed normal. Maybe a little on the soft side since it's quite warm here. I put the tray back in for another minute and no change (squishable, but not spready melty), so I put it in for longer, until I could see the toffee wanting to burn. The chips were more crumbly than melty. Usually they kind of goosh out and sink and drip down the sides, like a cartoon of a melting snowman.

I have made this more times than I can count, and other than being careful about not getting burnt by the candy or very hot tray it's dead easy. Make toffee (boil together cup of butter and cup of brown sugar, till it coats a spoon), spread on 6 matzot, bake for four minutes at 450°, sprinkle chips (12 oz.), bake for one minute, spread melty chocolate to cover, sprinkle trail mix (press lightly into chocolate if it needs it), chill on tray overnight, break up and store in airtight container in fridge.

What's wrong with my chocolate chips?

Comments (14)