SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
patio_garden

Discoloring leaf tips on basil

9 years ago

Can someone tell what's going on with my basil plant? The leaf tips are losing color and turning white and the stems are turning brown and woody from the bottom up. The stems are not squishy so I know it's not a rot. It's an otherwise healthy looking plant. The same thing happened to the basil I had last year, the stems started turning woody and the plant was not bushy. I'm very new to gardening. Last year I planted about 7-8 plants in a 10" container and it was probably too crowded and I think I was over watering. I thought the woody stem was because of all these combined. Learning from my mistakes, this year I planted one plant in a 6" container and have not been watering too often but ended up with a woody stem again. Is this a normal thing that happens to basil? How often should I prune basil to have a more bushier plant? Are the leaves losing color because of not enough nutrients? I added Dr.Earth's Tomato & Herbs fertilizer 3 weeks back and added compost as mulch a week back. Should I fertilize again?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012