SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissaaipapa

Request to post documentary photos on HMF

Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

Lately I've been cataloging the eighty roses from Petrovic we planted three winters ago in a long double line. This bed has been slow to get going. We planted the roses in December 2012 in big holes amended on the spot with old hay, in low ground--we do have some--which was followed by three wet winters in a row. Some of the roses turn out to have been planted too low, since the amended ground sank as the hay decomposed; several drowned in spite of subsequent ditching and mounding, and were replaced with duplicates of other roses in the garden. We lost fourteen out of about eighty, not awful under the circumstances. Now, after a slow start, I have hopes the roses are finally settled and will begin to grow well. Recently I cleaned up the bed, updated the map I so wisely made when we first planted the roses, and replaced all the missing and broken labels. Now I'm going down the line and trying to understand just what roses it is I have: writing descriptions of their growth habit, canes, prickles, foliage. They're just beginning to leaf out. Most of these varieties I've never seen before, and I'm sure there will be some mistakes among them; there always are; I just don't know how many or which.

And this is where my request comes in. I've been using HMF to see what these roses are supposed to look like, but most photos are of flowers, just flowers, with only accidental glimpses for the most part of leaves, buds, canes, prickles, hips; and few photos that give a good idea of the habit of the plant. I was wondering if some of the camera enthusiasts among the forum participants would care to take diagnostic photos of roses and post them? Make a project of it? I'm not friends with the camera, as some of you know, but do make a contribution in comments and observations, so I don't consider myself debarred from suggesting that others do what I don't do myself.

Here's an example of how photos can be useful. I've wondered for years whether the 'Gloire des Mousseuses' (spelling varies) I got from Schultheis isn't actually 'Mme. Louis Leveque'. I read somewhere that they're confused in commerce, and verbal descriptions don't clearly distinguish them. So I ordered 'Gloire des Mousseuses' again from Petrovic, wondering if a different rose would arrive, but it looks just like my Schultheis GDM, a tolerably distinctive rose. Case closed--perhaps--only there's a photo of 'Mme. Louis Leveque' on HMF showing a good clear closeup of a balled opening flower and two buds and blessed if it doesn't match my GDM to a T, at least as best I remember. I'll take a good look at GDM when it blooms and compare it with the photo.

A large portion of my roses, and perhaps my favorites, are the once-blooming old roses, out of fashion now and therefore rare in gardens, and many of them identified through research and not by a clear pedigree: roses forgotten and then found again and given a name. Then there are the further confusions of mixups in nurseries. I want to talk about my roses and share what I know about them, but then I want to know that the rose I talk about is correctly named. I would like to help clear up a bit of the confusion at least, or at least not make it worse.

Comments (28)