SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sammyyummy

Main stem brittle, dark brown and withered but the Roots are ...

9 years ago

Hi.

So my the stems of my hibiscus have all withered, the leaves turned brown and they are not pliable but are brittle. I cut it back and found the main stem to be of the same condition. Thinking it was dead, I dug it out of the ground and was surprised.

The roots are pliant and have a vibrant yellow/flesh color to them. They are also thick. But my worry is the main stem. Majority of it is just dead. I want to save the plant but do not know the following:

1. I placed the roots in a pot of water, not too deep but deep enough for the roots to be submerged. Will the plant die if I keep it here? Or should I transfer immediately to the ground?

2. The main stem is surely dead. It is withered, brittle and has a sad brown, dark brown color to it and its pulp (inside). How far should I cut the stem back if the roots are still viable?

3. What can I do to save this plant?

(I am uncertain if this is a hardy or a tropical hibiscus)

Similarly, my mother's money tree aka pachira plant also manifested the same condition. The leaves have turned brown and the stems are all brittle. However, when I made a slight scratch on the lower third of the stem, beneath its brown bark is a vibrant green pulp.

What do I do?

Comments (3)

Sponsored