SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nettiela

can laminated/refaced kitchen cabinets be "undone"?

nettiel
9 years ago

We've lived in our house for 5 years and I am interested in (finally) having the kitchen remodeled. So I'm getting started on options, prices, budget, etc. So many directions!! One piece of my puzzle is that I'm overall happy with the work layout, and the cabinets --boxes original to the 1950 house I believe-- are in good shape EXCEPT for the dated, peeling laminated/refacing job that was done probably about 20 years ago. (I think it looked good for about 5 years!)

There are are only a few usability concerns I have with the cabinets (one area in a corner, I have to stuff cake pans basically behind the dishwasher; I can't reach the cabinets above the fridge at all) but it would be so great to figure out a way to get new cabinet doors and maybe pullout shelves for the bottom ones and just leave them in place [and not pay for new cabinets that would probably never be as good quality-wise as the boxes/shelves that are there].

>>But... can this laminate stuff be removed (easily?) and the cabinets "rehabilitated"? I imagine all kinds of glue and gunk underneath the laminate. (The doors are 80s fiberboard junk and they will definitely go.)

Pic attached - see the narrow "soffit" next to the (low) ceiling). Basically laminate on every cm of cabinet.

Before I go to a designer or contractor I am trying to be realistic about costs and budget as for past projects that is the first question they ask and in this case I just don't know yet!

Thanks for any opinions/input.

Comment (1)