SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emily_berg3099767

Questions about Imazapyr and trees

Emily Berg
9 years ago

Hey there. I recently used a product called RM43 to treat my fence lines, around trees, and areas I don't want to weed eat. It is made up of 43% Glyphosate and 0.78% Imazapyr.

I didn't know that Imazapyr could be harmful to trees until I had already applied it. I have mostly Hackberry, Pecan and Live Oaks, which the product page for RM43 does not have listed as a species of tree that it can control. Regardless, I am now worried that I have hurt my trees.

I did not soak the soil, I only applied it to the leafy grass and weeds around the trees much like one would with Round-Up. I did get a little on some tree roots, as I wasn't trying to avoid them.

Most of my trees are established, no younger than 7-10 years. Because I did not saturate the soil and I only misted the surrounding grass, what can I expect to happen to my trees over the course of the next year? Will they just suffer some stunted growth while they try and combat the Imazapyr and eventually recover, or can even such a small amount of Imazapyr harm a larger tree?

0.78% Imazapyr seems like a negligible amount. I read reports where people had success killing younger trees with RM43 but I imagine they probably saturated the trees leaves and trunk with it, likely with multiple applications. I certainly will not be using it anywhere near my trees again.

Anyway, any feedback would be most appreciative.

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery