SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debi_matlack

Free seeds from Feed A Bee

Debi Matlack
9 years ago

Bayer corporation, possibly out of guilt from making pesticides for so long, is sponsoring Feed A Bee, giving away seed packets to anyone who asks by visiting their website. http://feedabee.com/. If you already have plenty of seeds, you can still show your support by committing to growing a plant (or lots!) on the website. Offer is good through 12-31-15.

Comments (43)

• Artemis
    9 years ago

• EricaBraun
    9 years ago

Very cool. Thanks for posting.

• Related Discussions

Free Wildflower Seeds

Q

Comments (3)
    I got mine in the mail today, thanks for the tip!
    ...See More

Free seeds from Feed A Bee

Q

Comments (2)
    We have just ordered Botanical Seed Paper for our client packaging. They have a variety of flowers and veggies, along with various shapes and sizes of products you can print on. And they're NON GMO! https://www.botanicalpaperworks.com/
    ...See More

Cheerios is giving away free flower seeds to save the bees

Q

Comments (28)
    Great post DG,...was just searching a bit and came across your poignant ( whatever that means ) post from a few months ago. I am, like you, also trying my best to do whatever I can to help out certain guys who are struggling ( now have a bajillion butterflies flitting about the new garden, including of course, many of the poor monarchs ) Where was I ? Oh yeah,.. one of the aspects I liked about planting a 22 + ft Edith Bogue Southern Magnolia tree on my front lawn two years ago was that the bees just love milling all over the stigmas in the center of each foot-wide white blossom. Have 25 of the foot wide show stoppers in full bloom this morning. Sitting on the lanai inhaling the heavenly scent these days somehow seems illegal ! ( lol ) ( internet pics ) Different strokes for different folks,..just my way to help out the bees ! ( smile ) Hope you're doin' fine'.
    ...See More

Free seeds from Cheerios

Q

Comments (6)
    Hi Iris, I don't have the answers to your question, but Cheerios has well exceeded their goal of giving away 100 million seeds and is not giving any more away. Here's the link to their update on the seed give-a-way. http://www.cheerios.com/bringbackthebees Rhonda
    ...See More
  • mycelium
    9 years ago

hope they didn't gm the seeds they are spreading..

• fuzzy57
    9 years ago

thank you for the information

• mychineseauntie11
    9 years ago

thank you!

• bbrick2
    9 years ago

Thanks for the tip. I'm long time 'keeper and seem to recall Bayer involved on one of the past mite medicines (so maybe they had skin in the game ) but not sure. Even if they are trading 200 seeds for the green public relations, at this point I'm so jaded regarding the lack of corporate leadership on climate and environment that I signed up for the seeds.

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

Thanks for posting this.

• woodsidetrader
    9 years ago

thanks. anxious to see what they send - and if they get here in time to plant this season. Has anyone received them yet?

• fuzzy57
    9 years ago

have not received yet still waiting

• mersiepoo
    9 years ago

At least they're doing something for those poor bees! I'm waiting for Monsanto to ante up for their role in destroying bees (and humans).

• stainsor
    9 years ago

They ask you to "share your flowers’ growing progress using #FeedABee." So it must be flowers. Also, the website has a picture of what looks like a seed packet labelled "Pollinator wildflower mix". If that's what they send then I guess we'll have to wait until we see blooms to really know.

• cryptid
    9 years ago

Thanks for sharing! :)

• bbrick2
    9 years ago

Hopes are fading into scamsville. There is no way you can receive seeds in April or May that will be of any help to your local bees. I keep bees. In the upper half of US the bees have like 6 Springtime weeks to gather and dry down enough nectar to survive the next winter. The Spring 'honey flow' is critical. Planting a few late season flowers will be of little help to them. I like the spirit of the posters here and maybe the seeds are perennials intended to establish new future nectar sources and if so then good on corporate Bayer. But I don't think so. What bothers me most is that stunts like this might jade empathetic helpful people away from the serious issue of honeybee decline worldwide.

• mychineseauntie11
    9 years ago

yes for next yr I thought when I signed on for seeds but I did go out and buy 3 buddleias, 2 lavendars to plant. these are pretty hardy and we are in a drought as gov brown told us yesterday. my lawn is already brown...thx for info on spring honey flow bbrick2

• bbrick2
    9 years ago

Hi Auntie11, Cali has a terrible water shortage. You sound like a resourceful person. We have longstanding and sometimes expensive water/environmental restrictions over here in the Maryland Ches Bay area and new realities like," if it is yellow then let it mellow , if it is brown then just go ahead and flush it down " become less than household horrors and more just daily habits. These new water practices really are minor inconveniences that matter tons to our future selves and families and neighborhoods as well as to the bees.

• cottonwood468
    8 years ago

Bump for those new to Houzz. Be patient waiting for these.

• garockgrower
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

A snippet from an email I received today.

We
    are excited, if not a bit overwhelmed, by the number of people who care
    about bees and want to receive seeds. If you have not yet received your
    seeds, thank you for your continued patience. We expect current orders
    to be shipped in early June.

• cottonwood468
    8 years ago

Received mine last week, so two months for the first of us but they are really rolling out seeds now.

• woodsidetrader
    8 years ago

packet finally arrived. but too late to plant for this season. so few seeds they probably spent more on packing than seed. if it was a PR ploy it sure backfired in my mind.

• cottonwood468
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

They are early for winter sowing! LOL Seedballs, too.

• Pmb2005
    8 years ago

My neighbor got her feed a bee packet today, which she heard about from me, but I am still waiting for mine. Hopefully soon!

• PRO
    Kathy Morton Stanion
    8 years ago

Can't seem to order any. Guess they are out. :(

• Margi Fisher
    8 years ago

I just got mine two days ago..it *did* take forever. It's a small packet, but hey, it was free, and I just tossed it in with the jar of wildflower seeds I'm going to sow on what's going to be my wildflower bank.

• Pmb2005
    8 years ago

My seeds came last week. Will probably plant these in the fall to stratify the pereninnals. Too hot now to plant for the annuals. Happy Bee Feeding all!

• Jamie Gosse
    8 years ago

I can't seem to find the link to receive the packet.

• Pmb2005
    8 years ago

Bayer appears to be done with this Feed A Bee seed give away.

• cottonwood468
    8 years ago

There is good information on plants for monarchs and other pollinators at monarchwatch.org.

• AMANDA PUCKETT
    8 years ago

Got the feed a bee seed pack today. Very excited for it to have finally arrived.

• bbrick2
    8 years ago

Who knows what the Bayer heads were thinking when they called attention to themselves with this 'seed' campaign. I received my seeds days ago. I also purchased for $.20 a 'Hummingbird' pack of American Seed Co from Walmart (yes I know) the same week. How difficult would it have been to send some seeds in a seasonal time frame ? If you cannot manage to send a few paltry seeds, then what does that say about your 'safe' pesticide controls ?

• rober49
    8 years ago

the bayer site says they are out of seeds. Monsanto bought an Israeli bee research company & hired a past florida state bee inspector to oversee it. they say they are researching how to help bees but I'm pretty jaded myself when it comes to corporate motives. some folks on beekeeping websites are of the opinion that the bee inspector they hired was pro large scale beekeeping& orchard pollination rather than the small timers or hobbyists. maybe they going for a mutant strain of bees that they can patent. Ralston Purina is in the process of setting up a research apiary at their research farm in gray summit mo. the pw ( proven winners ) brand sold at home depot is selling plants treated with neonicontoid systemic pesticides. when contacted their response was that these pesticides are not harmful to bees. if that is true why did the European union ban them? in the spring of 2014 the almond growers sprayed their trees with a fungicide that was supposedly safe for honeybees while the pollinators had their hives there. turns out the fungicide does not immediately affect the bees but when it was carried back to the hive it killed off the brood ( eggs & larva ). many of the beekeepers did not know this until they got their bees home. the looses were massive. so much that many will not return the orchards.

• cottonwood468
    8 years ago

Park Seed has a "20 for $20" seed sale and their "Pollinator Herb Mixture" is in there. The mixture includes borage, chives, sage, basil, lemon mint, catnip, sweet marjoram, oregano and creeping thyme. Look for the blue borage flower.

I have grown borage and catnip, pollinators do flock to those.

• rober49
    8 years ago

I'm growing most everything on that list but have had problems getting borage to germinate.

• ojitosbonitos
    8 years ago

I didn't get a chance to get seeds

• Carol
    8 years ago

I am afraid to get free seeds from any medical companies or universities that deal in studies . I have several packs of seeds from Washington state university and they are all Sativa seeds . I ordered seeds from them but they didn't send me what I ordered ,they sent me these . they said the seeds they have are for experimental purpose, so they only sent me the different lettuce verity. I am offering then in trade if you would like to try them , here are the names .Lactuca sativa from the Netherlands, 2 lactuca sativa from California, 1 from Turkey and 1 from Hungery . I would like to trade for white Eggplant seeds ,pickleing Cucumbers, multi Colored Peppers, I will trade these 5 for 5 of yours , contact me at tracer411@msn.com , thanks and happy gardening .

• Carol
    8 years ago

someone sent me some herb seeds and I want to thank fer so much but don;t know where to find her , she was either on here or on a site connected to winter sown , does anyone know another site . anyway I want to that Sakenya McDonald for her kindness and sending me some Cilantro,Parsley and Oregano , thanks very, very much .

• cottonwood468
    8 years ago

Carol, Houzz does have spot for that ... look at Rate & Review Exchanges. First search for her screenname and add your comments to the ongoing thread.

• zzackey
    8 years ago

Carol, it might have been me that sent you the herb seeds. I live down the road from Rt. 121 in Ga. I have plenty more seeds for trade or postage. Please send me an email with your wishes. zackeysmom@yahoo,com.

• zzackey
    8 years ago

I worked part time for Bayer. They said they never harmed the bees and wanted us to tell people that story. They were the most pathetic, unorganized company I ever worked for. Shame on them! I will try and plant flowers for the bees next year. What do they like the best? There are hives about a mile from here.

• cryptid
    8 years ago

Clover (any kind), Aster, Fennel, Lantana, Bee Balm, Borage, Oregano, Sunflower, Sweet Alyssum, Penstemon, Salvia, Coneflower,...

• leila hamaya
    8 years ago

anise hyssop, chicory, calendula and mint of any kind are also bee faves too.

• zzackey
    8 years ago

I have seeds for some of them Thanks! We let out grass grow tall so we can harvest it and dry it use in our chicken coops for bedding. The bees love the bahia tops.

• HU-620488375
    last year

do you have free seeds Jenny l. kovitch 7017 Florence Street la vista Ne 68128 also any winter berry info RETIRED LOW INCOME THANKS jen

Sponsored
Central Ohio's Source for Reliable, Top-Quality Roofing Solutions