SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
makingbeacon

Atlantis pool and spa (Magnolia Tx) anyone have any feedback?

makingbeacon
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

Searching for a pool builder and looks like Atlantis has a great rep. Anyone has anything to say about these folks? He is off of fm1488 in Magnolia TX - close to The Woodlands...

Thanks

Comments (34)

• makingbeacon
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No one has any feedack? I did a search but want to hear from recent customers.

• Wendy Baldwin
    9 years ago

I am getting a quote from them today. I actually found them FROM this website! I kept seeing everyone asking for help from "huskyrider" aka Kelly regarding their issues and if this was ok during a build - and he answered everyone's questions and seemed so helpful. After reading for a couple weeks - I figured heck, he is in my neck of the woods - I need a quote. So I am actually putting off signing with the company that I am planning on going with - to get a quote from them.

I will let you know what happens. But if you want to search the forum for "huskyrider" (in advice), you can see all of his comments and posts.

makingbeacon thanked Wendy Baldwin
  • Related Discussions

Pool Builders for Magnolia, Tx area

Q

Comments (4)
    No this is not a loaded question, We moved here from Katy 2 years ago so do not really have any friends in the area.We live the Estates of Clear Creek. I have talked to friends regarding pool companies, checked on the bbb and called several companies, 2 called me back to set up appointments, one from cypress area told me they do not come out to magnolia, even though it is only a 20 minute drive to my house from cypress and 4 others have not returned my phone call. I know that it is the beginning of pool building season, but I expected a call back by now. I just found this website late last night so just started reading all the comments. Some of the ones I called you listed as good builders, did not realized that you were in our area until I went back to the bbb last night
    ...See More

New Pool Build - Katy, TX

Q

Comments (22)
    Sorry it has taken so long to give an update but life has kind of gotten in the way. We have been enjoying our new pool now for a few weeks now. We couldn't be happier with the way things have turned out. Although we do still have a few loose ends to tie up. As far as what the name of the flagstone and tile where I will have to differ to David. I think the flagstone was Oklahoma something. Now to the pics: Full Pool Spa Bubblers Small Waterfall Main Waterfall Slide Intellibrite LED LED Green Spa Spillway I will post a few more pics when Gulf Coast gets the patio done and the fire features working.
    ...See More

Feedback on CL Free Water System

Q

Comments (52)
    I am an actual customer. I have had this system installed on a brand new pool for 5 months. They have needed to replace the controller, the flow chamber, a titanium screw, and an expired test kit so far. This contraption has flooded my yard, turned my pool green with copper plating, turned my wife's hair green, gone through $150 copper plates in 5 months, and badly corroded the $400 titanium. They have no reasons for the low quality, they denied their system can turn anything green until we sent pictures and then suddenly they knew it was because my wife dyes her hair. They blame my water (only a few months old from a legit municipal water source), I drained half and refilled, same issues. They have sent me to countless pool stores for tests, all pass with flying colors. Sadly, the system appears to kill germs and algae but the quality is terrible and the support mirrors the attitudes of their person above. If only they were willing to fix their issue. Stay away unless you want LOTS of issues and no real support
    ...See More

New Pool Build Progress in Richmond, Tx

Q

Comments (44)
    New pics of the pool with the spray deck. For the most part the pool is done. We have a few little leaks on the waterfall to fix and pool school. Still need to finish landscaping behind the waterfall. Our family is really enjoying the pool and hubby and I are loving the spa. It was been a great experience with our PB, I highly recommend him.
    ...See More
  • makingbeacon
    Original Author
    9 years ago

who was the other company's that you got quotes from if you don't mind me asking. Thx

• Wendy Baldwin
    9 years ago

Some didn't even make it to my house - I was extremely detailed with what I wanted - I sent exact details - surveys, pictures, plus a budget. Some were honest and said we can't build that within your budget - which I was very thankful for! The pool companies that have done the best bids are Legacy Pools and Kuykendall Pools. Platinum Pools was great - but high (but I expected that). Atlantis is coming out today - so I will know more about them and their process soon!

• makingbeacon
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No supreme pools or the pool man, Back yard pools (womanowned)? I'm thinking of signing with Kelly under the condition that he uses MMG.

• makingbeacon
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So he has not started to dig yet? Did you call to find out where your lines are located or did Kelly? there is a number to call and its a free service for them to come out and- mark/flag all underground lines.

• Wendy Baldwin
    9 years ago

danteandtoby - I have been watching your post too! BUMMER - all of the waits just KILL me! I couldn't imagine if I was so close and wanting to see digging and had to wait again!
    I was thinking financing would be super fast - they called the same day - saying we were approved - but that we have to wait for an appraisal. UGH. More waiting.

• makingbeacon
    Original Author
    9 years ago

appraisals are always fun- I'm closing tomorrow on mine.. Yupi :)

• suzfromtexas
    9 years ago

No, not yet. Kelly wanted to start last Thursday, March 19th, but lots of rain was forecast for the next several days. He moved our dig to Monday, but by then the utility lines had been marked, and our gas line was clearly in the way. I didn't have to get OneCall to come out, Jan from the Atlantis office handled that. She's been great - very patient with all my questions and changes. As for the gas re-route, I've had to handle that. But CenterPoint has been easy to work with - very clear with the process. Note: apparently, I have two handles on the forum. I have no idea how that happened. I thought I was SuzfromTexas, but now it seems I'm also DanteandToby. I'm really striking out as a poster!

makingbeacon thanked suzfromtexas
  • suzfromtexas
    9 years ago

Wendy, at my age the waiting isn't bad, not yet at least! I may be singing a different tune later on. But that's why I finally went with Kelly for our PB. I have total confidence in him and know it will all work out. Also, it seems I move slowly on everything in my life. So this pace suits me! (I need an emoji of a turtle here!) I made a sort of photo idea book of details I wanted to remember before the dig and gunite phases. So this waiting period gives me a chance to get started on ideas for tile, stone, and pavers. I am the worst at design, so I need time. Financing is tough. Banks seem to have their own weird schedules! I'll hope for speed for you with the appraisal. Keep in touch, all! It's an exciting time! Suz

• Wendy Baldwin
    9 years ago

oh this rain. My yard is still mush - It was terrible here!

• makingbeacon
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm not the greatest in stone design myself as I'm thinking of doing all flagstone. Are you guys doing salt or man made chlorine?

• Wendy Baldwin
    9 years ago

I started off wanting salt really bad - - - but I have a few friends that went salt and changed back to chlorine because it was messing up their rocks - now in defense - both were converted pools - so they weren't built for SW - I have heard that makes a big difference. I would love salt but there is so much misinformation out there I decided against it really out of fear. One friend swears this, another swears this - and the PB are the same way - and everyone is so convincing. What are you leaning towards?

• suzfromtexas
    9 years ago

I'm doing the salt chlorine generator. I swam in a neighbor's salt water pool all last summer, and it sold me on it. As a child, I used to have a bit of a cough after I swam. Later, I learned I have mild asthma. Last summer, I never coughed once after a swim. From the forums, it seems that pool builders are slowly moving away from the SWG back to man made chlorine. Each company I interviewed was bent toward the man made chlorine. One company refused to do the SWG. I hope I'm not making a big mistake. I visited with managers at several different Leslie's Pool stores to get their ideas on different pool issues. All 4 said to get whichever I wanted. They felt the pros and cons, and price differences balanced out. For me it came down to allergies versus having flagstone. No question, flagstone is beautiful and to me such a perfect compliment to outdoor pool settings. But I'll make do with other materials. In your case, if you're wanting flagstone, man made chlorine system is the way to go!

• suzfromtexas
    9 years ago

Wendy, isn't that the truth? There are so many conflicting opinions and information out there that I have a hard time filtering out fact from fiction! It certainly hasn't made pool decisions easier for me. I couldn't decide between LED 12v lights vs the 120v. To me it stands to reason the 12v lights would be safer in the event of a weird malfunction. Yet, I read a post from several years back from a very reputable poster saying its the current that is more dangerous. He said with the 12 v, you're using just over 6 amps of current and just over 6/10ths amps with the 120v. Oh well, as you can see in my pool specs, I'm still going with the 12v lights. Here's hoping!!! It's enough to drive a person to drink! LOL!!!!

• makingbeacon
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Most PBs I have talked to said that they can build any pool they want (being the PB) and they said they have man made chlorine pools for MANY reasons so I have been told.

• Wendy Baldwin
    9 years ago

It is SO hard to make these decisions. I honestly think that whatever we all decide we will be SO happy with when we are floating and drinking! I have no idea about the LED lights. I just said I wanted LED lights! UGH - more research!

• makingbeacon
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LED's are the bomb - the color changing effects are awesome (im doing 3) !!! I'm doing some fire/water bowls all automation through aqualink and some tiki torches ran off natural gas. Cant wait!!!

• Wendy Baldwin
    9 years ago

In the designs - I have it with 2 LED in pool and 1 LED in spa and of course, the wireless remote. But I am over budget and some of the things I think I am going to cut will be all wireless devices <insert sad face here> I guess I can always add that later. Sigh. Anyone have any luck convincing their spouse to go WAY over budget :) I have tried all the "usual" techniques ;)

• suzfromtexas
    9 years ago

Makingbeacon - that sounds awesome! You're really going to have that tropical/South Pacific pool! I wasn't going to do the color LED pkg, but our son talked us into it. (again, all those conflicting opinions thing!) We decided it might be easier to do the color lights now rather than later, especially to make sure it all works with the same automation control. I have enough trouble with TV remotes and all the related remotes without starting out with multiple pool remotes! I am just old enough to be on the cusp of grasping all of today's technology.

Wendy - I think you're exactly right! Give me a drink floating in the pool on a 100+ degree day, and who cares!! There's still that part of me, though, that keeps me researching so I don't have any serious regrets later. That's why I love this forum - we can all help each other out and share what we know. Have you met with Atlantis yet? Will it be Jan or Kelly (or maybe someone else...)?

Any opinions on pool finishes? Talk about a million choices!!! And confusing information.... Just when I think I have my mind made up on a finish, I read something else that makes me waver. And I'm not EVEN talking about colors yet!

• Wendy Baldwin
    9 years ago

Jan is going to be here at 3:30! I am so excited. I am going with (trying to sound REALLY decisive right here) with Pebble Sheen Blue Granite. But wait - maybe Blue Tahoe - or - - - ok , so it changes daily.

I know I am doing spray deck, Flagstone Coping, Moss Rock weeping Wall. Or, like I said - at this very second in time, that is the plan! Ive still got to take trees out, move some septic sprinkler lines and get a propane tank installed. But I can't WAIT to see a dozer in my backyard!

• suzfromtexas
    9 years ago

LOL!!!!! Too funny! You've got me nailed on the fickle mind changing thing. That's why I didn't post my pool specs 'til late. And they could still change. I'm glad Jan is coming. Tell Jan "Hi!" from the old lady with a cane! Scratch that - you have too much on your mind. She has been so very patient with me and no judgment about anything I want unless I ask her to give me her opinion. I know you didn't ask...., but I do suggest you meet Kelly before you make a final decision. I really enjoy working with Jan for all the office stuff, but I wanted to meet the person who was actually going to build my pool. And Kelly does do a lot of it himself. He's a busy guy, but he loves meeting people and talking about pools. I think there's a way to message each other privately if you have questions you'd rather not post online, but I have no idea how that's done. Let us know how it goes. Good luck this afternoon!

• Wendy Baldwin
    9 years ago

Jan was AWESOME - I really loved her! We are waiting on Kelly to price it and get back to us. I think I will take your suggestion and ask to meet with Kelly first - Id like to visit at least one pool he has completed before committing. The only problem - we are (were) ready to sign with another builder - so this has put us back a little on our timeline. The bank needs a signed contract . . .I was hoping to make a decision THIS weekend!!!!!!!!!

I haven't played around with the settings to figure out how to message someone privately - but I will figure that out!

I am kinda excited - we are moving septic sprinkler lines tomorrow! ONE STEP CLOSER!!!!!!

• makingbeacon
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm pulling the trigger with Kelly. Pics to come.

• Wendy Baldwin
    9 years ago

We ended up not going with Kelly - though they were in our top 2! It was a difficult decision! This entire process was hard! Can't wait to get started! Signed contract today, received HOA approval - just waiting on appraisal for home and we will be ready to break ground!

• makingbeacon
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What made you decide not to go with Kelly pm me.

• Wendy Baldwin
    9 years ago

It was NOTHING bad! They were great. It just came down to a design we loved that took it over the top.

• makingbeacon
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Who did you select as your final builder?

• Wendy Baldwin
    9 years ago

Kuykendall Custom Pools. They were actually the first builder I ever spoke to - I found a picture on Pinterest that I LOVED and then I googled their name and realized that they were located here in Conroe! So I called and began the process. I spoke with quite a few builders and narrowed it down to 3. This weekend we narrowed it down to 2 (Atlantis and Kuykendall) - they were both awesome - it was almost a flip of the coin. I just kept going back to the initial picture I found - of a beautiful waterfall into the spa. I have nothing but good things to say about Atlantis and their team. This was a very difficult decision.

• makingbeacon
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A co worker just had his pool done by the same PB and it looks nice and he is very happy. How long did they say they could start on it and how long did they say it would take from start to finish?

• Wendy Baldwin
    9 years ago

I am still waiting on my appraisal of my house - which the Credit union says 2-3 more weeks - so they put me on the schedule for 3 weeks from now. They might be able to start sooner - I didn't ask - because I am waiting for that. Best case scenario 30 day build (weather and no issues, of course). I am guessing 8 weeks . . . just to not get my hopes up too much!

• suzfromtexas
    9 years ago

It's good to hear you both have decided on a PB. Doesn't it feel good to have that decision made?! Now only a million more to go.

Wendy, will you be starting your own New Pool Build thread?

I look forward to following both of your pools as we all go along. I'm jumping back to my pool thread. Come visit me over there! Suz

• Wendy Baldwin
    9 years ago

I sure will! I'm scared to jinx it since I'm waiting on the appraisal to come back for the financing!!