SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
david90531

End of Winter Update: Cuttings

DavidL.ca
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

So the infamously lengthy Canadian winter has finally come to an end. As a first year succulent grower, I'm happy to report that most of my plants made it quite nicely, with one casualty of the moon cactus, which slowly shrunk and turned black, and eventually died. I watered it like how I water most of my plants, so I'm guessing it is true when people say they don't last long usually.

Anyways, I decided to post pictures of my plants in a few separate posts because otherwise it would be super long, so people can choose what they like to read :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are my leaf cuttings, some of them from my own plants, some from random fallen leaves I found when shopping at nurseries (I learned that it is not a good practice so I stopped doing that now)

Most of them were planted late summer last year, and I think they've all done well even after the harsh winter. Although some stretched quite a bit due to the insufficient lighting.

I'm not quite sure what to do with them next, so I would appreciate some help :)

I lost the ID for these, are they Sedeveria "jet beads"? The leaves are not as dark though..
They've started to stretch a bit as you can see, so I need to find them a new home soon

The E. "Perle von Nurnberg" are very pretty as seedlings, although again most echies require high light so I will probably have to gift them to someone who has access to more sunlight eventually.

The Pachyphytum oviferum has always been one of my favourites, the white-powdered leaves are truly adorable. These are also the only ones that still have its mother leaf attached, and is still pump after nearly 6 months. Truly a succulent leaf...

This is how my ill-fated, beheaded unknown Echeveria from last year, the number of tiny plants growing from the cuts and teared off leaves surprised me. It actually makes a pretty unique-looking "plant". All the small plants also started to grow out its own roots. This is one of the plants that I'm not sure what to do with it next...

I placed another Pachy leaf randomly with this plant and it also rooted and grew nicely, oh and there's also a Crassula hiding on the side!

Here's a mixed pot. The variegated jade might be the only one I will keep as my own plants, since the others all require high light.

Lastly, I have a ill-looking Senecio rowleyanus cutting here that I actually bought from a local shop, it had tiny leaves to begin with, but they told me it will soon grow to larger and also longer. I've wanted them badly but it definitely isn't going the direction I was expecting, the leaves are almost constantly shriveled-looking and barely growing... Any idea what I could be doing wrong? It is getting every other day spraying and 10-14 days watering, less during deep winter.

And a general question for all my cuttings, is when would be appropriate time to repot them to new soil? Should I leave them be for another while?

My other End of Winter posts:

Crassula
Haworthia
Mesembs
Aloe and Gasteria
Everyone else

Comments (7)