SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
forsheems

Shredded Paper on the Lawn?

forsheems
9 years ago

Ok, so spring is here and my lawn has really greened up nicely. My pre emergent app was a little later than I wanted due to extremely wet weather but still made it in time. Had a spot or two of henbit pop up over the winter which was taken care of this weekend after the first mowing so now it's time to get the game plan going through the end of summer. Right now I'm planning an alfalfa drop early May followed by a Milo drop the week before Memorial day. From there it should be water as needed and spot spray for the occasional weed but I also want to get more organic matter down if possible which brings me to my question.

I have access to plenty of shredded paper which I have added to the compost pile in the past. My biggest issue here is that the compost piles are relatively small and my lawn is roughly 20k square feet. Since I mulch mow throughout the season and mulch all my leaves (and some of the neighbors) in the fall I really don't have a lot going into the compost pile. Last night I got to thinking why not mulch the shredded paper into the lawn just like I do the leaves in the fall? Is there anything I'm missing here about shredded paper that could possibly hurt the lawn? I still need to do a test spot to make sure I can mulch it in to the point it doesn't look bad but otherwise is this a viable option for some free OM? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (12)