SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
catherinet11

I'm a bad steward of my pond. :(

catherinet
9 years ago

I only have a 300 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank sunk into the ground. I've had it for about 8 years. I try to keep it clean. I don't have any fish. I use pump and filter that sits at the bottom of the tank. I didn't clean it in the Fall, thinking the frogs/tadpoles would like the cover. When it got consistently below 40, I stopped the bubbler and started using a deicer. There were a couple water plants that I sank to the bottom for the winter also.

I finally decided to clean it out today and I couldn't believe the muck/leaves on the bottom. And....in my little pond, I found 7 dead frogs! :( I couldn't believe it. I didn't even know I had that many around in the Fall. They were green frogs.

I lost several frogs one winter when I thought it would be good to turn the deicer off for a while and turn the pump/bubbler on to put more O2 in the water........but I think that killed the frogs.

Not sure what killed them this time. Maybe it's just natural/normal aging/death?. I've had the deicer on almost all winter and not the pump. Would that, in combination with having so much muck in there have caused the water to become too toxic for them? I have seen tadpoles.

Anyhow.........I pulled tons of much out of the bottom today, cleaned the filter and removed about 70% of the water and then started up the pump. I'll clean the filter again tomorrow, since the water still didn't look very good.

So what do you think is most likely what killed all the frogs? I'm ashamed of myself for not cleaning it sooner. I think I will look into buying a pond vac and routinely cleaning it better.

I'm disappointed in myself. :(

Comments (4)