SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
john_turner2324

Issue with Retainer Wall, fixable or redo?

John Turner
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

Hi, first time posting here. I'm looking for advice on a situation with a newly constructed retaining wall. I'm trying to decide if the situation is fixable or do I hire someone else to redo wall correctly.

I just had a pool installed and I hire some one to build a retainer wall on one side of the pool a 2 and half foot talk and around 30 - 40 ft long.

Here's a pic of before the project started where I had consider doing a stone retainer wall myself.

I got a quote on this style retaining wall below:

Quote text: Construction of sea wall style retaining wall between fence and pool on both sides of existing

concrete steps. Wall will have 4x4 pressure treated post with 2x6 pressure treated boards running
horizontally. Drainage pipe and rock will be installed at the bottom of the wall with the top portion

being back filled with soil. Area will be graded so that finish grade will slope away from pool.

What they ended up doing is using my existing fence and attaching 2*6 to it. Which caused the wall to bow and lean out since the existing 4*4 were not strong enough.

To fix this issue they toke down the existing fence panels and added additional 4*4 between the existing 4*4 to stop the lean and then put the fence back on with spacers at the bottom to level the fence back up.

While I was not happy I thought this would work.

Well we just had our 1st rain since the wall had been constructed and I noticed rock and dirt coming from the bottom of the wall. When I took a closer look I notice the wall stop short of the actual ground by up to 8 inches at one spot. I can see the drain pipe underneath. Chalk line represents bottom of retainer wall.

So is this a complete redo at this point? Or can this be fixed? If fixed how?

I'm meeting with company that did it tomorrow and meeting with some other companies to get quotes to fix.

Comments (2)