SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deeeeeleeeeete

Help - how do I fix this tippy fence - did a dumb thing

Debbie Downer
9 years ago

Am building a 6 foot wood privacy fence (L shape) from scratch and doing a pretty darn good job of it except....

Due to presence of heavy roots I decided to put posts in roughly same place old ones had been spaced 8 feet apart. Wish it could have been 4 or 6 but oh well- not cutting 6 inch tree roots.

One post closest to the tree I couldn't get in the right spot (due to thick roots) so I thought well Ill just set it in/ on a concrete footing (about 2 feet thick) and the weight of the concrete will hold it in place. It does, and it looks straight.... but pushing on it I can easily rock it, can see the concrete footing move and Im sure over time it will tip.

Long story short, Im pretty sure I can put in a galvanized 3" round metal fence post about 6 inches away from the wood one in a root-free spot (I remember from digging the hole)I can and sink it down at least 3 feet and then leave about 4-5 feet above ground.... thinking if I can attach the wood post to it somehow it would help hold it stiff and straight. Question is how then would Iattach or brace the wood fence post against the metal one? Would be nice if I could attach it somehow in about 3 or 4 places.

If this works it would actually be kinda cool because I was wanting to attach something to the fence to lock up bikes anyway! What if it was iron plumbing pipe - is that going to be stiff and straight as a galvanized fence post. How to keep it from rusting out?

Could yall help me engineer something here? THANKS!!! (no not disassembling fence and starting over.)

Comments (6)