SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
astralsled

Rain barrel with gutters that drain to sewer - can't alter gutters

astralsled
9 years ago

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone has advice for how to collect the most rain possible when your house does have gutters but they drain directly to the sewer. It is a rental property so we can't make any structural changes to the building. I don't think the landlord would mind if the downspout was easy to connect and disconnect, but the gutters are old and there doesn't really seem to be anywhere to disconnect them without actually cutting into them (obviously a no-go.) They are cemented into the ground.

One of the gutters, located conveniently next to the garden, does have a wide crack in it towards the bottom and I'm wondering if I can harness this crack somehow, but it would be below the level of the rain barrel -- does this matter as far as channeling water into the barrel? I am also trying to think of a way to secure a hose to the crack.

A large amount of water doesn't seem to run off our roof -- it mostly goes to the gutter. However we do get a good deal of rain in the spring and summer and I'd love to harness it for garden use, both for sustainable reasons and to save on our water bill! It just seems like a shame to let rainwater go to waste.

Any ideas? Has anyone dealt with this type of issue before?

Comment (1)