SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kellywodetzki

Has anybody had Caesarstone calacatta nuvo countertop installed?

Pippin
9 years ago

I'm still on the countertop hunt (and driving myself crazy!)

After almost deciding on a honed black granite (and deciding it will be too high maintenance with small children) and now ruling out marble (because the clearstone application I was going to use is an extra $80-$100 per sq ft on top of the cost of the marble…ouch! and it will still scratch) I am considering quartz/engineered stone again

I was in an upmarket 'village shop' yesterday and when I saw the countertops I initially thought they were marble and sighed (because I just ruled marble off my list) but after all my recent research on marble/granite/quartzite ad nauseam my second and third look made me think they were something else (had to look hard)…. after interrogating the owner I found out they are caesarstone calacatta nuvo - in a 'real life application' they look much less defined (the veining) than the caesarstone advertising and I am now seriously considering it

One thing that is putting me off is that some fabricators have told me that 'caesarstone' is 'mid-range' and that Silestone and LG are superior products…

Has anybody had this installed and loved it (or not!) and what is the general thought re caesarstone vs other quartz products?

Thanks again for all the great advice I get on here!!!

Comments (59)

• lauralocks19
    9 years ago

Oh, and to answer your question, no I did not see it in a slab..only this size sample. I almost went with Silestone Lagoon because I was able to see it at a Costentino store in a full slab. But in the end I preferred the Minuet because it was less gray, and more of a creamy white. So this is kind of a risk...I'm praying it will look fab in large form because I'm going whole hog...perimeter counters and a 6x5 foot island!

Pippin thanked lauralocks19
  • plan2remodel
    9 years ago

I'm in the process of choosing an engineered quartz countertop for my master bathroom. I am leaning toward Blizzard, but also considered Nuvo.

Reasons for choosing Blizzard:

1. My fabricator told me that Blizzard is $1500 a slab, but Nuvo is $2500.

2. I've seen only a small sample of Nuvo - not a full slab. I'm wondering if each Nuvo slab is identical or whether they vary in pattern. Makes it more difficult to guess if it will match the wall tiles.

3. I think the broad veining pattern on Nuvo would be lost because I need cutouts for two sinks and faucets.

4. I expect to have enough quartz leftover for the vanity top in the hall bathroom - so I prefer to choose a neutral color.

Pippin thanked plan2remodel
  • Related Discussions

Need reassurance/opinions on counter top and backsplash

Q

Comments (11)
    Thanks for the input. I lean toward the Raven and Calacatta, too. (In fact we just told our contractor to put the order in for the countertop). I'm still not 100% sold on the marble tile, though, I originally wanted a carrera that would be more muted, but the tile shop we're using doesn't have anything that looks right with Raven. I just worry that the Calacatta is SO white. When I see kitchens like this: http://bungalowhomeinteriors.blogspot.com/2012/04/clients-home.html my eye is drawn to how cool the tile looks next to the cabinetry. Guess I'm also concerned that the calacatta has more movement in it, which could be distracting. I'm loving the look of this kitchen (also with Raven), but I don't know what the tile is: https://www.houzz.com/photos/south-pasadena-craftsman-traditional-kitchen-los-angeles-phvw-vp~14622889-Pasadena-Craftsman-traditional-kitchen-los-angeles Does anyone regret getting marble backsplash?
    ...See More

Please post pictures of your counter-tops

Q

Comments (151)
    Love love love this topic. Your kitchens are amazing. Looking for pics of stainless; particularly of stainless with white cabinets and beadboard backsplash... Have you ever seen this combo? Any ideas would be awesome. Again truly amazing kitchens!!
    ...See More

Vadara Calacatta Blanco quartz countertops?

Q

Comments (46)
    Does anyone have Vadara sereno gold? Im considering it with off white cabinets. I’d love to see a picture of it installed and any pros or cons. I’m concerned about some of the spotting comments. i have Cambria in my bathrooms and love it, but didn’t see any patterns i liked in the Cambria. Is vadara made in china?
    ...See More

Has anyone installed Caesarstone Noble Grey countertops?

Q

Comments (65)
    Lara and CJ, I too searched and wasn’t able to find pictures with brown wood cabinets We went with IKEA’s Grimslov Brown and just paid for our Noble Grey counters today. It will be a few weeks, but I will post pictures as soon as I’m able to. Hopefully it will help someone!
    ...See More
  • homechef59
    9 years ago

Similar journey. I started with Absolute Black granite. I almost selected a Danby marble or a Cherokee White Georgia Marble.

They measure on Monday. My LG Viatera Rococo goes in next week. I was fortunate to see a large slab of Rococo and Minuet. They are very popular and go out as fast as they come in according to the sales staff.

I was originally looking at the Caesarstone Lagoon. I found it to be on a more grey background than the Viatera. I also liked the stronger lines of the Rococo. The Minuet seemed too pale. I was able to compare both samples against a very abused Carrera marble countertop.

I'll let you know next week.

Pippin thanked homechef59
  • alexamorrie
    9 years ago

Like you I have been searching for a quartz version of marble. I saw Caesarstone calacatta nuvo at our recent Home Show and I didn't like that there were a lot of grey dots of material floating in pattern.

I looked at "marble" quartz's from most companies as well as the Dekton sintered porcelain.

I thought the two companies that came closest to the look of real marble was the LG Minuet (a softer grey vein) or Rocco (darker grey vein) and Zodiaq Coarse Carrara. If you don't mind waiting I was told that Caesarstone is coming out with a new improved marble look Statuario Nuvo.

I've chosen to go with Zodiaq Coarse Carrara through Costco - and the installer is highly rated in my area. I've seen pictures of slabs and I have a large sample. I like that the background is cleaner, more like a real marble. I compared my sample to marble at a stone yard.

There are pictures of LG Minuet and Rocco on GardenWeb.

Pippin thanked alexamorrie
  • lauralocks19
    9 years ago

Home chef, I can't wait to see your Rococco! I'm getting the Minuet installed in a few months. The Rococco was gorgeous and a similar look. I hope everything goes well. Do you have any concerns about seams?

• homechef59
    9 years ago

Ask me on Monday. One of the experts on this forum took a look at my plans. I will only need one seam. We are going to discuss the seam at the sink. I have a relative who is a GC. It was his idea to place the seam at the sink. I'll let you know.

• aasonne
    9 years ago

I am pricing out Calacatta Nuvo in Philly, after changing my mind about the London Grey5000. Too grey for my color scheme. The Nuvo only comes in 2cm (3/4") right now, and the pricing is as much as a 3cm slab (1 1/2"). That's a bit disappointing, as the Nuvo is a fantastic, exciting look that is clean and real. The whites and greys in this are simply stunning. I was told Ceasarstone may come out with the 3cm slab in this spring, but there are no definites.

The veining wonderfully breaks up the space and gives an active feel, rather than a quiet sleepy feel. I was hoping for the 3cm, but the 2cm does give a modern feel. A lot to pay for, but the look!!!

• Michelle
    9 years ago

Lavalocks, I'm confused. Your encore silver sample looks grey. I ordered a sample (no dealer anywhere near me) and my looks cream colored. (I'm going with LG rococo). Does it read silver to you? I love the crackle in that tile and would love to use it if I can! Here's what my sample looks like (the square tile).

• lauralocks19
    9 years ago

Michelle, my silver Encore looks really "taupey" in different lights. It's bizarre! But that's why I like it.. it morphs between silver, taupe, gray.. throughout the day. We still haven't installed it yet, but it has been ordered. I will definitely post pics once it's in :) ~ Laura

• melissakinzler
    8 years ago

Hi Laura! Have you installed your counters? Would love to see pics! Thanks!

• lauralocks19
    8 years ago

Hi Melissa,

My cabinets have been ordered, but won't be installed until right after Memorial Day...counters soon after that. I'm going crazy over here with anticipation! ;) I will definitely post pics once everything is in.

Are you planning to use something similar?

• homechef59
    8 years ago

Check out my reveal and you can see Rococo installed.

Kitchen Reveal Scherr's RTA

• melissakinzler
    8 years ago

Hi Laura! Thank you so much for your reply! Thank you also homechef59, your kitchen looks fabulous! So this is my kitchen when we bought the house - https://www.houzz.com/discussions/kitchen-help-dsvw-vd~2785287 I've done very little to it as I have thought about a white kitchen everyday since we moved in 2011. I'm finally doing it! Cabinets are being painted white, new cabinets are being installed so that they extend to ceiling, new backsplash, new sinks / faucets and of course the counters. I also have longed for white marble but just can't do it given I have three young children. I wanted quartzite to work but haven't liked what I have seen. Thank you so much for the tip re the quartzs. I'm going to my fabricator this week to see it and compare to the other samples. How did you each decide between Rococo and Minuet? I'm worried about backsplash. I really wanted to do simple marble subway tile. However, I fear that the marble tile doesn't look good next to the quartz. Did you have this similar thought process? And homechef59, for cabinet paint color, I was leaning towards White Dove from what I've read here. Why did you prefer Dover White? Thanks again!!! Good luck Laura with your install!!

• homechef59
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I have the Dover White. But, I was trying to match the existing trim in the house. It's on the warm side of white. I also had to use the slate flooring to go with adjacent areas of the house.

I selected the plain white subway. I didn't want to compete with the counter top pattern. I don't think I would go with a faux marble quartz and a real marble backsplash. I think they will compete with one another. My compromise was to add the bevel.

I was fortunate to see the Rococo in slab form when I was shopping. They had a sample of the Minuet. I decided that I wanted the stronger veins of the Rococo. The Minuet had the same pattern, it's just more muted. It really came down to the flip of a coin. I liked both of them. Given that everything else in my kitchen was so plain, I selected Rococo to be the focal point.

Here is an idea. The Rococo was the most expensive finish that I considered. I didn't consider Carrera. I did consider Danby and Cherokee White. If it turned out that I had to economize, I would consider the absolute black counter with the marble subway backsplash.

• melissakinzler
    8 years ago

Thanks homechef! I agree about not doing real marble tile with the quartz counters. I need to go check out some plain white subway tiles like you did. I went to my fabricator today and saw the LG samples. I also like the DIFINITI quartzs and got to see a slab of this one - http://www.difinitiquartz.com/viareggio.html. I just scrolled down and looked at all of the pics of your kitchen. It is fabulous!!! Thanks again!

• homechef59
    8 years ago

My beveled tiles came from Anchor Bay tile. I liked them because they had matching trim pieces. The Viareggio is pretty. I liked it.

• agk2003
    8 years ago

melissakinzler, how did you like the slab of the difiniti?

• nkhanna1
    8 years ago

Does anyone know how much a sq/ft Definiti quartz costs? Thanks

• Yorke Williams
    8 years ago
    Seems like there is no perfect answer. I remodeled my kitchen in June 2014 for resale. We put in beautiful Calcutta Marble. It is beautiful! It has not stained. But boy does it etch! (I have attached a picture) The red wine wipes right up but a water ring, it is forever. So now we have bought a house that we have gutted and are putting back. I want an all white kitchen. The floors are hardwood. The cabinets are shaker. But the countertops? Every time I go look at slabs I only like the marble. Discovered there is white granite but is too busy or me. Haven't seem a quartzite that I like either. Seems to overpower the room. This New Calcutta Nuvo seemed to be perfect. But it is only 2cm thick and EXPENSIVE! More than the Statuary marble, more than quartzites.
    Original plan was Statuary marble countertops and backsplash. I am firm no marble. Will look at some of these quartzes that y'all have mentioned again. Seems I am definitely not alone in this dilemma.
  • designsaavy
    8 years ago

Yorke, I remember seeing a thread about taking the etching out with a green scrubby. If you do a search with the keywords "green scrubby gardenweb", you'll find it. Hope it helps.

• momdog99
    8 years ago

lauralock19 - can you please post pictures of your Minuet countertops? I was looking at that today, along with Rococo. Would love to see a pic of your big island!! Please?! Thank you!

• lauralocks19
    8 years ago

Momdogg99, here you go! I looove the Minuet. It has the look I wanted, and more importantly I don't have to baby it. :) ... Not sure why the pictures are showing up sideways I just took them with my iPhone? Oh well!! ;)

• Yorke Williams
    8 years ago

melissakinzler Your slab looks great! Have you installed yet?

• melissakinzler
    8 years ago
    Install is next week, I will post photo! Cabinets arent being painted white until August though. I will post 'in progress' photo after counter installed and then complete in August.
  • momdog99
    8 years ago

Thanks, Lauralocks for sharing! It looks awesome! I also love your cabinets and backsplash! I am debating between these Quartz products being discussed here and Neolith Calacatta. Check out the Neolith...

Kitchen Neolith · More Info

• Pippin
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yorke look at 'Victoria Falls' quartzite as an alternative to marble... A lot of the quartzites that look like marble still etch - Victoria Falls is a harder stone than granite (so find a good fabricator to cut it) does not stain or etch or scratch and has a wonderful quality to it that reminds me of the movement in marble... Looks great with white cabinetry and has the gray tones I was looking for ie like marble... I am the original poster and have enjoyed these discussions very much in response to my original question!

• aasonne
    8 years ago

My Calacatta Nuvo installed! Much advice here: I didn't love it at first. It is not a bright, clear white as marble. However, it does have a lovely soft honed look and feel. The veining is soft & beautiful. Here are pics. Work with your installer to do the template layout. You want a good flow of veining to capture the beauty of this material.

• aasonne
    8 years ago

Some more pics for the overall feeling:

• melissakinzler
    8 years ago

Hi Everyone! I am still very much in the middle of my kitchen remodel but my new counters were installed. Still have to install faucets, paint the cabinets white, do backsplash, etc... But a few have asked so I wanted to share in advance of finishing. The counters are Vicostone Statuario quartz (the faucet pictured is my old one). Now I'm having a cabinet paint dilemma. I thought I would like White Dove but it looks a bit too cream next to the counters. Some other colors I'm considering are Decorators White, Simply White, Chantilly Lace, Cloud White, Mountain Peak White. Any advice on paint color? I still need to go look at the swatches. And then I need to pick a white for the walls. I had also hoped that marble tile would work on the backsplash but it doesn't look good with the quartz. I also need to search for white ceramic tile now. More pictures to come... Thanks for all of your help!

• melissakinzler
    8 years ago

One more thing. My friend is insisting that I do White Dove since I have a lot of warm golds in the rest of my home. It's hard to tell in the pictures but does anyone think White Dove would be OK with these "cool" white counters?

• Brittney Horton
    8 years ago

Melissa, what colors did you end up choosing? Just curious because I'm in the same boat! Love your countertops!

• melissakinzler
    8 years ago

Hi Brittney! I ended up doing Simply White on the cabinets. Went back and forth between Simply White and Cloud White. They are so similar. For the walls, I picked the color on the same paint chip / wheel sheet as Simply White but two shades "greyer". I'll send the color tomorrow. I'll post some more pictures. Kitchen almost complete, just waiting on ceramic tile backsplash.

• Brittney Horton
    8 years ago

Awesome!!! I do love Simply white! Yes, please post pics! Would love to see how gorgeous it turned out!!! And it can give me inspiration for my kitchen too!

• isabel98
    8 years ago

please post pics of your remodel melissakinzler. I love that you have redone this kitchen!!

even though I like it the way it was too.

• Kriss TBH
    8 years ago

I too am having difficulty with cabinet colors and Cesarstone Calcutta Nuvo. What brand of paint are you referring to above ?

• melissakinzler
    8 years ago

Hi Everyone! I am finally posting my before and after pictures! Sorry for the delay!

- Cabinet paint is BM Simply White. Wall color is BM Cloud Nine.

- Chandelier is Restoration Hardware

- Hardware: Knobs are Alno. Pulls are Rejuvenation

- Faucets are Perrin and Rowe

- Sinks are Julien

• isabel98
    8 years ago

looks beautiful!! glad you got what you wanted. the banquette is awesome.

• Pippin
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Looks great Melissa! What a transformation!

• agk2003
    8 years ago
    Love it! especially the cabs going all the way up
  • trishflora
    8 years ago

Michelle, I love your color combinations in the pic you posted. Can you share each items color and manufacturer?

• austin2004 austin2004
    8 years ago

looks amazing! - thanks for posting!

• suki65
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I've looked at many Quartz for Island in kitchen and now down to two choices: Zodiaz Calacutta Nutura and Cambria Brittanica. Has anyone an opinion as to what is best and what would you choose as the perimeter counters in plain colour that compliment the Nutura and Brittanica? My wall cabinets are cream and island grey and have dark floor. Thanks in advance. We are totally gutting out the kitchen and I have only waited 20 years for this Reno and going a bit mad. Any help is welcomed!

• PRO
    Wailea Interiors
    8 years ago

i would use the Cambria for 4 very good reasons. 1. Cambria has a higher quartz content 2. Cambria is manufactured in Minn. 3. Cambria has the cleaner finish 4. Cambria has a customer service second to none.

• suki65
    8 years ago

That's 4 very good reason! Thank you Wailea Interiors. I was at the Home Show today and saw the whole slab of Cambria and it is gorgeous.

• dhv1
    8 years ago

I love the simple white color for the cabinets. Can you just share if you used semi gloss, shiny, mat? Your cabinets don't have much shine to them and it looks amazing so I'm wondering.Could you please share??

• C. P.
    7 years ago

I have Caesarstone Calacatta Nuvo in my kitchen and dining room and LOVE it.

• Anita Kishore
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

What are good wall colors for this combination? I'm installing a Calacatta Novo countertop with white high-gloss IKEA upper cabinets and Voxtorp walnut look base cabinets. Using simple 3x6 white subway tiles for backsplash with gray grout and Rawtech white tiled floor (looks like light concrete). I'm thinking of introducing some greige to shake things up instead of a more typical white like Simply White or Cloud Nine (which looks great in the pictures above!) - Worn Leather Shoe, Upper West Side, or Quicksand looked interesting in the Benjamin Moore online program. Any tips?

• Mary
    3 years ago

aasonne, I know this post is really old, but I would love to know what white color you used for your cabinets. I think I've finally decided on going with Caesarstone Calacatta Nuvo and I just can't figure out a good white to do for the cabinets. Any help is much appreciated! Fingers crossed because this post is from so long ago..

• Mary
    3 years ago

@aasonne This post is really old, but just wondering what color cabinets you chose to go with your Calacatta Nuvo countertops. Thank you!