SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seil_gw

USDA Zone Map Irony

seil zone 6b MI
9 years ago

I'm finding it very ironic that after years of my knowing that I wasn't a zone 5 gardener the USDA finally changed their maps to reflect the zone 6 garden I've been growing, when what should happen? The weather changes and now I think I may be in zone 4 after the last two crazy cold winters we've had! When I took over Mom's garden and started planting new things many people kept telling me I couldn't grow that here because it wouldn't winter. I grew and wintered them anyway for many seasons because I knew my yard never got as cold as they said it was. Coming out of a lot of winters I barely had to tip prune most of my roses. Green cane abounded right to the top. These past two winters we've had long stretches, think months, of below zero weather with highs only in the single digits and it's really changed things.

I walked my roses this morning and pulled away some of the leaves to see if there was any green cane down there. Yes, maybe, a little but everything above the leaf mulch is black as coal. I can't see under the wraps on the pots yet but the few canes sticking up above the 3 feet of leaves and burlap and completely black. Inside the little greenhouse the seedlings and cuttings look pretty dead as well. I may have to revise my rose growing systems yet again to accommodate this new climate. Maybe I'll move to Alaska. It was warmer there than here this winter!

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County