SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
haworthiacooperi

Succulent Newbie - is it time to water my Haworthia Cooperi?

9 years ago

I purchased this from IKEA about a month and a half ago and I am reluctant to water it again because I keep reading conflicting information about succulents online. I don't want to water too soon and cause root rot. Also, when I purchased the plant, some of the leaves were burst open and I assumed the plant had already been over watered. Did not repot after purchasing.

Weather in my area is generally about 40-60 degrees F, but I keep my succulent on a table beside the window in my room (faces East) and I have a room heater that usually maintains a temperature of 72-73 degrees F throughout most of the day; I also have a humidifier running most of the time. I have read that succulents can go dormant if they don't have the hot mornings and cold nights? But I don't know how accurate this information is.

The soil at this point is still a little moist to the touch but when I place a flat stone on the soil and press it down a little, it comes up dry. If I insert a toothpick into the soil, it also comes up dry.

I know that all signs point to "water" but I'm just very hesitant to do it because I keep reading that it's better to let the succulent be too dry than be too wet.

The leaves have seem to shrunken a bit since the purchase date but the new leaves forming in the middle of the rosettes seem to be plump and healthy so I cannot tell if the plant is just dormant from lack of temperature change? If so, should I water it?

Also... does watering at a specific time of day make a difference? I also see advice to not water on cloudy days .. which is difficult where I live.

[Photo 1: When I first purchased ~ leaves seemed/felt more plump]

[Photo 2: Signs of over watering from busted leaves?]
[Photo 3: Succulent in current state, leaves less plump but smaller leaves growing in center of rosettes - still healthy?]
[Photo 4: succulent in current state, alt. photo]

Sorry if this is a completely newbie question and if I'm being ridiculous, just don't want to cause root rot again to one of my plants. Thanks!

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor