SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mmidwest

Exterior color help - can't get color I really want for siding!

M V
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

I feel like I'm going crazy, so hopefully I can ask this semi-intelligibly! I have no design/color confidence and really need some outside perspective. I tend to overthink and overthink, and then do nothing. Well, I need to do something this time, but I keep worrying I'll make the wrong choice and hate it. My husband wanted a choice by tomorrow (I've had since Friday), but I'm not sure that will happen...

My husband and I bought our house (a foreclosure) a year ago. I feel like I've had to make way too many decisions since then! One thing I didn't think I'd have to decide on, was the exterior color. The bank painted before selling, and I really like the current color (Sherwin Williams warm stone, trimmed with mega greige). I knew when we bought it that the bank painted over rotten batten board in the back, but assumed we would find a solution that included keeping the color the same or maybe just a bit lighter, etc. Anyway, my husband has determined the only option he his willing to use is steel siding. We are using Alside steel siding.

Here is a link that might be useful colors

Steel siding is not very popular.....there are hardly any color choices and of course none of them are close to the current color (though the installer, my husband's relative, says the Tuscan clay is so close I won't even notice a difference!). I might pick up the color deck for the "select" line of colors tomorrow, but it is a bit of a scary scenario to choose from that collection because it is new (color durability less tested, the pricing higher and not even completely set yet).

Here is a link that might be useful select colors

We will be doing just the back now, which can't be seen at all from the street, but in the next 6 to 10 years, we will complete the house. We are also replacing all the windows with white vinyl with grids. For this reason, I hoped to use a white/muted white color for trim, to make the windows stand out less.

In the regular line of colors, I am currently considering the Tuscan Clay and Monterey Sand colors. While I've seen mid-toned taupe colors that I like quite a bit on houses, I feel like the Tuscan clay might be a bit heavy/dark for such a warm color. I'd like my eventual landscaping to pop a bit more than it seems it would with this color. Another huge detractor for this color is the neighbor's house is pretty much identical in siding color (though they have a shake roof, and some bright turquoise, blue and red trim along with mostly white trim) I had a friend come over and look at things with me yesterday, and she thought the Monterey Sand might be too light and make our large home (3,000 square feet), seem less cozy. I can see that, and the front of the house also faces south west, so it might also be sort of washed out most of the day since it is a light color. I wish there was a darker version of that color, as I prefer the tone of it. I would like some other opinions on this light color, and if it would wash the house out/remove the quaint factor. I'm not usually a fan of large houses and prefer modest and cozy, but my husband likes large houses, so this was a compromise.

Here is our house as it is currently painted (taken late last summer). Excuse the landscaping, it is in the planning phases.

From side

Here are a few pictures of the current color options, with possible trim colors

If anyone is still reading and comments - I might have to take better pics tomorrow...it was so sunny today and it was getting later by the time I took pics. Dark color is Tuscan Clay and the next is my lightest possible trim color (linen), the next is basically the color of the vinyl windows.

Same color combos, 1st taken from near the street. I am terrible at visualizing this all on a larger scale. I want the trim to definitely read white, but I don't want it to be stark. The window color looks more white than the trim in person :). The difference is minimal, though.

I think this is the only decent pic of have of my other trim option with this color. The light was getting really yellow as the sun was starting to set. It is still the Tuscan clay, but with a little darker trim color called Antique parchment. I like this color, but worry it won't read as white with the bright windows. The brick mold and fascia will be wrapped in whatever trim color we choose. I would probably also paint the post and porch ceiling this color, and it might look pretty beige under those shadows.

If anyone is still with me, I'll post a few pics with the Monterey Sand color!

This is the Monterey Sand, with the lighter white (linen) color. The lighting changed dramatically right before I took this, so that might be why I like it. It may be too washed out in normal light.

Same color, further away. The blob is my daughter :)

Same colors closer, but again, earlier in the day, it looked pretty much lighter....this was at dusk.

If you made it this far, thanks! Sorry about the poor photos. I will try to take more tomorrow, but wanted to post as my children were occupied. Any thoughts or opinions are welcome.

Comments (34)