SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
robotropolis

Hollyhock House and Gamble House tours (no personal photos)

robo (z6a)
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

I'm on a million hour layover back to Nova Scotia from LA. While I did two house tours that permitted photos and will post when I have my computer and camera back together, here are two that did not.

First, Frank Lloyd Wright's Hollyhock House (photo above from the link). Recently restored and reopened in Los Angeles. Annoyingly, they forbid interior photography. Click the link for lots of photos. I believe the house was never lived in as its owner disliked it (even more when it went to 3x the original budget) and gave it to Los Angeles almost immediately.

The house is open to the public for $7 and was an absolute circus when I went. An FLW signature sort of covered promenade ('esplanade') steadily narrows and brings you to a recessed pair of front doors which are, unusually, concrete. When you enter, the view is surprisingly open with a raised dining area and kitchen beyond visible to the left, a sort of glassed in loggia straight ahead, and a music room, large living room (with stubbornly nonfunctional water feature dug out around the hearth) and library laid out in succession on the right. Only one other public area is available to view, which is a half-restored small conservatory. The loggia leads to a typical FLW courtyard.

The geometric cast concrete fireplace in particular is breathtaking. Maybe one could call it a precursor to Art Moderne? I'm not knowledgeable on that front. The overall effect of the house is soothing (not to the woman who commissioned it obviously!), protected from the sun (almost cavelike, but in a pleasant way) , and certainly of that long, low horizontal line combined with changes in ceiling height (and floor height) to delineate key areas.

The house motif is an abstracted hollyhock, which is repeated in the furnishings and carpets. Although the house is labelled as Mayan Revival, FLW was also in full Japanomania and had what he at least thought was an unlimited budget while designing the house, plus I think the house construction was overseen by Schindler, so I definitely think it's worth a visit if you're in LA.

Next tour in my next comment.

Comments (10)