SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print

What are the biggest questions that you have when picking a counter?

What are some of your concerns when deciding on a countertop?

- Is appearance, durability, or price the most important?

- Do you look for natural stones such as granite, marble, and onyx? Or engineered stones?

- Do you think it's more important to select your countertop first and build around it? Or chose another element like your cabinets or flooring first?

Thanks. I'm interested to see everyone's response!

Comments (25)

• Fori
    9 years ago

1. Durability while cleaning. It all comes down to how easy it is to clean.
    2. Neither, although if I use some it will be natural (and the only time I have it's been marble)
    3. I don't think the order is important as much as selecting any hard-to-coordinate features first. For some people it's the counter, for others it's a pink range.

Marble.com-All Granite & Marble Corp. thanked Fori
  • Related Discussions

When is a 24' counter stool not a 24' counter stool?

Q

Comments (6)
    Thanks for all the info. Sorry I wasn't clear mercymygft, 22" to the top of the frame. Wish I had your sales rep sas9! The salesperson I normally deal with was going on vacation and he told me I could place the order with anyone because they were not on commission. I didn't like the salesperson I was dealing with but did not want to be rude, so I placed the order with her. I probably would have gotten better info from my regular guy. I called the manufacturer and they told me I could have had the stools made anywhere from 24-30 inches. Sigh. They cannot be returned angela12345 because they were a custom order. On a positive note, I have been a regular customer of the furniture store for many years. They have taken the stools back and are looking to see if they can add some inches under the seat. If they can't maybe you can give me some pointers on eating at chest level:)
    ...See More

Having trouble picking out floor/counter/cabinet stain and colors

Q

Comments (4)
    How exciting a new place for yourself! My girlfriend just had her entire million dollar house redone in natural oak floors. And she has amazing taste to go with her money. I do not think natural is out. If you visit Kraftmaid, Thomasville, Yorktowne, Merrilat, Diamond.. (Visit finished kitchen blog too) kitchen cabinet sites you can see med maple or dark cherry with the oak floors you are thinking about. I personally like a contrast between cabinets and floors. But, there are 1000 of combinations that make people happy. Make yourself happy. Here are some images to visualize. It always helps me to see. Please know I put in a bunch of different woods not specifically what you said. But a few have blk counters. And perhaps you can see if you like the contrast or not. All good to think about. ~boxerpups socketsite springwoodbuilders realestate ad
    ...See More

Please help me pick a counter top. Down to the wire

Q

Comments (10)
    Thanks so much for the replies. For those interested this is a new construction so there's not much for photos. The kitchen will be L shaped with a 4x7.5' island. I'm not sure on my budget for the stone but I believe I can go up a bit in price if need be. Right now I'd say mid range is my price point. I appreciate the photos poohpup and the input gr8day and herbflavor. I was considering something leathered with not a lot of movement for the perimeter and maybe something wilder on the island. Any more pics that anyone has to share would be greatly appreciated.
    ...See More

questionable fabricator of our soapstone counter tops

Q

Comments (10)
    Florida Joshua installed our soapstone in May. We have a seam in our sink . . . . that you can't find. People have to search to find the 3 seams in our stone, because they are hard to see/feel. He used a black epoxy, it looks like your fabricator used white? And the bit about soapstone being porous and the water seeping in? Puhlease. False. Here's my sink. The seam is in the lower left hand side of the sink, about 3 inches in. Good luck trying to find it. This is freshly oiled. This is 3 months after install. We aren't oilers. As you can see, not having the stone oiled doesn't affect seeing the seam.
    ...See More
  • dcward89
    9 years ago

For me, price was the #1 consideration. If I chose something that fit every other criteria but was twice my budget, it was a no go.

I am not a granite girl so I was looking for anything BUT granite...that will be different for everyone.

I chose cabinets first, then floor, then counters, then backsplash. That order was not purposeful...it just happened that way.

Marble.com-All Granite & Marble Corp. thanked dcward89
  • homechef59
    9 years ago

They are all important, durability, appearance and price. Durability seems to be the first consideration. Cabinets, flooring, countertops and backsplash in that order. I always manage to find complimentary options at a number of price points.

Marble.com-All Granite & Marble Corp. thanked homechef59
  • athomesewing
    9 years ago

I love the look of natural stone, as well as the ease of care, so I'm a granite person. I also am a fan of granite with movement and personality. If I were building a house and choosing all finishes, I would probably pick my granite slabs very early in the process, something with movement, then cabinetry and complementing floors and woodwork that show it off.

We are remodeling, so I picked granite slabs based on what could work with the existing personality of our home. We have a lot of existing woodwork in VG fir doors and hemlock wrapped windows. We chose natural cherry cabinets which look beautiful with the exiting wood tones, and yellow river granite with some movement. The colors in it are almond/white, gold, blue gray.

Marble.com-All Granite & Marble Corp. thanked athomesewing
  • happyallison
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I would say price (your budget can constrain you), then (durable) get the most durable for that price that is (appearance) appealing to you.

I'm considering granite or engineered stone for durability. I am leaning toward granite or quartzite as I prefer the look over engineered.

I would say cabinets first, then counters. I have had wood floors in open floor plans so I've never considered changing flooring. If I was changing flooring I'd probably say cabinets, flooring, countertops.

Marble.com-All Granite & Marble Corp. thanked happyallison
  • sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

For us it was looks first, durability second. In our last house, we did pick the cabinets first, and then the granite, but within granites, only looks were considered - price was not a factor (although we eliminated the very top end granites in our last kitchen - such as Azul (cant remember its full name but I know its very pricey). In our current kitchen, we knew we were going with quartz the minute we saw it in a kitchen showroom, only the color changed after we decided on the cabinet color. We would never do marble (not fans of the patina, except in old buildings and other peoples' kitchens), and although I lusted after soapstone, my DH disliked the scratches and dings that seemed so easy, so we ended up with a soapstone-like granite (Nordic Black Antique) that we loved.

• lawjedi
    9 years ago

1. Is it going to work for me? Durability/Practicality.

2. What does it look like? Do I love it? like it? indifferent but ok? If there is anything I DO NOT like, I keep looking.

3. Price. I'm sure everyone has differing "it's in the same ballpark" numbers, but I'm not going to pick out a counter I don't like because I saved $$. Chances are, if there is a large $ discrepancy, I might disregard the highest choice. I want to be happy with my counter top, but it isn't like the clouds open, light gleams down and the angel chorus starts up. ;-)

4. Not particularly. It really depends on the slab. I've seen horrible granites. I've seen ones that are awe-inspiring. Quartz - sometimes they perfectly fit the spot. others, not so much. Each choice is individual. I kind of think granite/soapstone might have an edge, being a natural product. (Marble is beautiful, but I know it's not for me.)

Cabinets before counters. I've seen lots of differing counter surfaces I like. I know what wood works with my house.

• slk7e7
    9 years ago

Durability was first for me, by a landslide. I sort of chose all of the design elements at the same time, I think. I had a million Pinterest pins and they all had the same cabs/flooring/countertops to a certain extent. Price is always a factor, but I would have cut something out to get the countertops I wanted if they were out of my budget.

I loved the look of marble and ended up with what I think is the best lookalike quartz on the market: LG Viatera Rococo.

• gyr_falcon
    9 years ago

Value is the most important, but any under consideration would have to meet a certain threshold of durability. I won't buy something I dislike, but if the counter I like almost as much is a lot less expensive, and has similar quality, the lower priced counter would get the nod.

Natural stone, for sure. All of our kitchens have had laminate (yuck) or tile, so I really want the cool feel of stone. Engineered, although they can be visually pretty, looks fake and plastic to my eyes.

Cabinets first, counter, then backsplash. What I favor in flooring is already known, so it sits in my mind while making the other choices. But it is also the element I would be the most flexible about.

Marble.com-All Granite & Marble Corp. thanked gyr_falcon
  • raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

My counter choice evolved over the months. I guess price was always the major consideration - I was looking for the most bang for my buck, though, not purely the least expense. However, I did want to keep the cost low. I knew what my upper limit was. I could have saved a bundle with a formica type but that is what I was pulling out and hated, even though I was assured that quality was much higher now than when my old stuff was made. As for maintenance and durability, the plus/minuses of granite vs quartz vs soapstone vs corian were pretty much a wash to me. Each had positives, and negatives that I could live with.

Almost as important was the look. It had to look right to me.

At first I was convinced that I would get a solid surface/Corian. I didn't even know the quartz product existed. I hated most granite that I had seen, and thought that it only came in highly polished. But found that I disliked most of the less expensive solid surface too and the ones that I did like were more expensive than base level quartz. I switched to quartz and even actually bought it.

But then I saw that there were granite options/ dealers that were much less than the quartz and started seriously looking at granite for the first time. Decided that was the way to go, canceled the quartz purchase, and ended up (after a little detour through soapstone dreamland) with a nice, bulletproof granite.

I knew what style my cabinets would be (long before I ever could start) and chose the color early on. So I did have to consider whether the surfaces that I liked best would compliment them. Fortunately my taste runs to very simple so it wasn't that hard to coordinate.

I think that I would have been just as happy with the quartz or a corian, when all is said and done, but I really like my stone.

Marble.com-All Granite & Marble Corp. thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • lmgch
    9 years ago

durability was / is my first priority. then looks. then price. not because I had/have unlimited budget, but because I was sure that once I had a clear understanding of the kinds of materials I could/should pick from based on my "needs" for durable and appearance, that I would be able to find something I liked.

I gravitate toward natural stone that has a flowing or undulating movement, I do not like speckles.

my flooring was never a big consideration because we knew we would do it to match the house. we also knew before we planned anything that we'd have white perimeter cabinets b/c the kitchen space doesn't have as many windows as I wish it did, so I wanted to keep the perimeter light.

However, we also knew we wanted color on the island base. I selected the stone first and then coordinated the color for the island off of the stone.

Marble.com-All Granite & Marble Corp. thanked lmgch
  • Nothing Left to Say
    9 years ago

Price was a big factor for us. Doesn't matter how much we love it, if it's out of budget we aren't getting it. Then, honestly, it ended up being about looks. For me there was no point putting in something durable that we didn't like-that would just mean we had to look at something we didn't like longer!

I can't pick elements in isolation so everything was more or less in play until I had nailed down every piece of the picture. I did know I wanted white cabinets and I had a preference as to which white but we carried both options with us to look at stone slabs, along with multiple backsplash tile options.

Marble.com-All Granite & Marble Corp. thanked Nothing Left to Say
  • funkycamper
    9 years ago

I think all three are equally important (price, durability, appearance). I now I'm an oddball here but I can't stand stone, marble, quartz, etc. They look nice in other people's homes but I wouldn't want to live with it. Too cold and hard for me. I also tend to not like anything that is so expensive that I would feel guilty changing it out in 10-15 years if I feel like a change. And I like laminate. I know; I'm odd. In my remodel I'm going for a DIY zinc counter and/or wood. Still debating but I'm leaning toward zinc as I think it will be more durable and it's actually very inexpensive so I consider that a double-win. It also fits my tendency to want to do something different than the norm. I guess I like being an oddball. :)

Marble.com-All Granite & Marble Corp. thanked funkycamper
  • wildchild2x2
    9 years ago

Durability and ease of maintenance. Doesn't matter how pretty something is if it doesn't perform well in the application. Most important really are the qualifications of the fabricator and a quality install. That said I am not a stone person. I prefer "softer" and quieter solid surface products. But my most important still applies were I in the market for stone.

Marble.com-All Granite & Marble Corp. thanked wildchild2x2
  • Liz
    9 years ago

I guess price was the most important, as it took some options totally out of consideration. Like the lightest granites and quartzites; once I was quoted $100/sqft and up, I knew they weren't going to work for us. Then, within our price range, I considered my options. Every option was adequately durable in our opinion. They don't sell counters that are non-durable! We wanted something light for our dark kitchen, and narrowed it to quartz or corian. (Ruled out granite BC the offerings in our $50-70/sqft range were too busy for my taste.) Priced out our favorite colors in corian and various quartz lines/fabricators. Then chose quartz BC we were worried about corian scratchings. Otherwise we would've had to flip a coin. Finally selected the particular color of quartz.

Marble.com-All Granite & Marble Corp. thanked Liz
  • mrsshayne
    9 years ago

Funny, when I started looking at stones a few years ago I didn't know much so I didn't worry about durability because I just assumed all granite was durable.... Price was important because I knew I could only spend so much. Biggest thing for me was a slab that fit my vision during my kitchen remodel. I found a beautiful slab at a stone yard. Knew right when I saw it, it was the one. From there I picked colors and other items to match. I didn't get new cabinets but had I gotten new cabinets then I probably would have picked the cabinets first...

I got 8 quotes and I don't recommend that at all. Almost all the prices offered were gimmicks. I ended up going with a guy that had the same price from what he quoted me on the phone. One company offered $19.99 per sq ft.. ok I knew that was low but I didn't expect to be quoted $3700 for the cheapest granite! Their marketed price didn't even include polishing the granite and I didnt even fully understand that...lol

The going rate for my kitchen was about $3500. The guy I found would have done it for $2500 but I ended up finding a mid grade granite so I got it installed for $3k. No problems after a couple years. Of course my granite is one of those that I joke to myself that will be super ugly in ten years hahahaha!

I love exotic granites. The overused granite that I see everywhere I could easily do without. I just got Quartz in the bathroom and I love it. I would be open to granite or Quartz for my kitchen remodel someday. No marble.. It scares me.

After 8 quotes, only one guy offered to let me go to the stone yards to see the slabs in full. That was huge for me. I'm sure some of the other places would have too, but they didn't offer and I didn't know any better to ask. Visiting the stone yards was one of the best parts during my remodel.

My advice, be honest upfront with costs. I don't know why so many places had to offer such low prices only to jack them up later. I knew my budget and what I could afford. It would have saved me lots of time without all the bull on the way most the companies priced stuff.

Marble.com-All Granite & Marble Corp. thanked mrsshayne
  • denizenx
    9 years ago

Looks, price, durability, in that order.

Sorry, but the stuffs gotta look good and be in my price range before I even give a hoot about it's durability. I an't living with something fugly even if it'll outlast my children's children's children.

Marble.com-All Granite & Marble Corp. thanked denizenx
  • Mags438
    9 years ago

1. Looks and will it work for my project

2. Maintenance

3. Cost

This was the last ime around for this kitchen and it needed to last a minimum of 15-20 yrs. I expect to be dead by then or really way too old to care.

Marble.com-All Granite & Marble Corp. thanked Mags438
  • mushcreek
    9 years ago

Price is the overwhelming factor for us. Our whole house is DIY, and we're trying to decide on counters right now. Much of the kitchen will be wide plank maple, but we want something more water resistant around the sinks. Our current plan is to use soapstone tile, as soapstone os the only stone we like. We're going to stay around the soapstone color palette, so I guess we picked the counter material first.

We don't redo our kitchens unless they are actually deteriorating, instead of change for the sake of change, or to keep up with current trends.

Marble.com-All Granite & Marble Corp. thanked mushcreek
  • mrspete
    9 years ago

I think the problem with this question is that not all projects are equal. To illustrate, I have two projects in mind at the moment:

1. Before we put our current house on the market, I need to replace the kitchen cabinets and the countertop. This isn't the time or place for details, but -- yeah -- it needs to be done to make the house sell-able.

For that project, I'm going to pick the cabinets first and the countertop second. Given the house I'm selling, I want to pick the cheapest, most simple cabinets that will appeal to the widest range of entry-level buyers. After that, I want the cheapest, most simple countertop that will appeal to the same group. My biggest motivations will be PRICE and the potential to appeal to a wide range of buyers.

1. I'm also planning a kitchen for my new house. This is going to be MY house, MY kitchen, and I'm not willing to sacrafice price, durability, or looks. I'm a cash customer and can afford to have what I want.

I suspect I'm in the majority here when I say that this countertop will be a long-time investment, and I care more about it BEING RIGHT than being fast or cheap. I will start choosing stone early, and I don't mind looking around and taking my time. When it's installed, I want a person who knows his business. I'll pay the price for a good installer, but I for that price I expect quality -- I don't want to quibble and fuss about bad seams or chips.

Someone above described "gimicks". That would be a massive turn-off for me. It would make me walk right out the door -- and say negative things to friends who are searching for stone in the future. I don't expect a stone countertop to be cheap, but I don't want a "car dealership experience" in which the salesman says, "Oh, everyone knows this and that are added on later." Tell me the honest price, talk me through the options, be forthright about the installation costs. A coupon or a sale will get me in the door -- but a bait-and-switch type of deal will make me change my mind in a hurry.

My biggest concern is about matching colors -- I absolutely stink at color, and I know it. I keep going to the same tile store because the the owner's wife is SO GOOD at talking me through good choices. She listens and suggests. She doesn't push me towards higher-priced items. She also isn't shy about saying, "Look, that really isn't what you want for your application, and here's why."

Which kitchen item will I pick first? Cabinets. The difference between white and wood-tone is the biggest decision. Then, since my choice is wood-tone, choice two is, Which wood-tone? After that, I'd pick the countertop and the backsplash TOGETHER.

I will definitely choose a natural stone. I dislike marble -- it looks cold and old-fashioned (not good old-fashioned like nostalgic, just old -- we're not the ancient Greeks). I don't want an engineered stone either; they look good in small spots, but for a whole countertop, they look fakey. I want something that's beautiful and distinctive.

Finally, I won't compromise on durability or ease of cleaning. I'm going to pick something that'll last, and I may never change it. And there's no point in getting something cheap if it's not comfortable to live with.

Marble.com-All Granite & Marble Corp. thanked mrspete
  • javiwa
    9 years ago

Watchmelol hit it right on the head for me: "Most important really are the qualifications of the fabricator and a quality install." I'm learning this in hindsight, after too long and frustrating a three-month journey, job still incomplete.

Marble.com-All Granite & Marble Corp. thanked javiwa
  • sherri1058
    9 years ago

The factors that I am struggling with are durability and looks. Price is not really a factor for me other than I don't want to overpay and end up with inferior product/installation. Oh, and then there is the "I wonder if I should go lighter because my eyes are not getting younger" argument that I am having with myself. I don't like the looks of granite, or stainless steel so that is out. I love how Quartz is so bulletproof, but I also think I would prefer to have my counters age along with the rest of the kitchen, so I am seriously leaning towards soapstone. Conundrum!!

Marble.com-All Granite & Marble Corp. thanked sherri1058
  • lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

- Is appearance, durability, or price the most important?

Ease of cleaning first ... you can call it durability if you want, but if it has to be babied it's not going into my kitchen. (No marble for me!)

Given that a given "appearance" can be found in a variety of materials, it's secondary. If I want light/dark/whatever countertops, I can find them in laminate, engineered or natural materials.

Price ... definitely a factor. My preferred shopping method is "satisficing" starts with performance specs and a general idea of appearance ... looks up the ascending price range until I find something that fits the specs.
    - Do you look for natural stones such as granite, marble, and onyx? Or engineered stones?

See #1 ^^^ ... whatever passes the durability test, fits the budget, and looks OK in the kitchen. That may mean multiple materials: the previous kitchen had butcherblock with granite "landing zones" next to the range for heat resistance.

Planned "dream" kitchen would have soapstone for vintage look and durability.

- Do you think it's more important to select your countertop first
    and build around it? Or chose another element like your cabinets or
    flooring first?

That would vary ... if I blundered into a material that suited the character of the plan, fit the performance specs, at a price that didn't break the rest of the budget, and that didn't make the kitchen look like it didn't belong to the rest of the house (style and era), it might become the keystone piece.

But if it becomes too hard to find coordinating elements for counters/cabinets/flooring ... I have no problems jettisoning that component and starting with something else.

==========

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satisficing

Marble.com-All Granite & Marble Corp. thanked lazy_gardens
  • sas95
    9 years ago

For us, being low maintenance was the most important, which also tied in with durability. Then came looks. Then price. With these criteria, we chose quartz in the kitchen because it met the maintenance/durability criteria and had the right look for the project. For a bathroom we chose Corian based on the different look we wanted there. I do not like granite or marble, so they were never considered. I love soapstone, but ruled it out due to my perception of durability.

We chose backsplash tile first in the kitchen. Then cabinets, followed by counters. We built our whole kitchen around the tile, which is not the gardenweb norm, but it worked for us.

Marble.com-All Granite & Marble Corp. thanked sas95