SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
applnut2

Gaggenau Combi Steam Bread Baking

applnut2
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

I've had my combi-steam for seven years now and love it for bread baking, amongst other things, particularly more artisan loaves, like sourdough boules, ciabatta or traditional baguettes. For the most part I still do softer breads -- dinner rolls, garlic knots -- in the regular oven, as the steam is particularly important for crust and I don't want those to be super crusty anyway.

I've played around with the settings a bit over the years, but my usual M.O. for high temp bread bakes is to pre-heat at 100% steam for a good amount of time, at least 10 minutes beyond when the oven says it's reached temp. (One thing I love about the combi is that it always tells me what temp it actually is; not just what temp it is set at.)

Then I turn the steam to either zero or, if I'm more on the ball, 30% (lowest setting) as soon as I put the bread in; giving regular pops of steam, via pushing the steam button, for at least the first half of the baking time. Or, if I put it to 30% initially, change it zero at after roughly 1/3 of the bake time elapses, steam pop for the next 1/3 and let dry bake for the final third.

This method gives me lovely crust on the boules and ciabatta, but I would still like my baguettes to be crustier. Any advice as to temps/steam level/steam insert?

Anyway, I am wondering how, exactly, other combi owners use the steam function to their best advantage when bread baking. What temp/steam level do you use? I'm very curious if someone has found something better than my trial and error method.

Comments (9)