SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
al_cabone

Backsplash advice for my grey & white kitchen

al_cabone
9 years ago

My husband and I have finally settled in one place and just bought our first home. We are lucky enough to be able to remodel the kitchen with new countertops and backsplash. We've chosen Color Quartz Venatino for our counters, and cabinets are already white... I love a classic white kitchen and we are planning to add a brushed gold faucet and cabinet hardware to make the space feel like 'us'.

I've been hemming and hawing over the backsplash for weeks, and I just can't find the right thing at the suppliers our contractor works with.

At first, I was set on marble 2x4 subway, but we've decided it's too light, too much white, and too expensive. Also too similar without being the same material as the counter.

The reason I have been searching high and low for a smaller tile is a round window that will be in the way of a straight across backsplash. I'd rather put tile on that whole portion of the wall that's in between the cabinets. I don't have a great photo of the window, not sure why it's sideways either.

We are raising the desk portion to regular countertop height, so doing the backsplash as pictured isn't an option.

These are examples I've found of how a round window is dealt with. I much prefer tiling around the whole thing.

I'm not a fan of mosaic tiles, but have been hoping to find a gray 1x6, 2x4, 2x6... Something more that scale.

Our contractor has found a gray tile in a great color (our color palette is grays and blues), but is urging us to go with the normal 4x12 size.

It also comes in 3x6, but he says it's not as glossy. We're going to go see it in person tomorrow.

I have a hard enough time agreeing to 3x6. Our contractor is a great guy, but I have to remind myself that he's not a designer. Neither am I, but I feel that I have a pretty good eye for it, and I at least know what I like (and don't like).

The room is relatively small so I feel a smaller tile will help create movement. Even going with a 3x6 will not allow us to tile all around that window. Which sort of breaks my heart. I also have a hard time finding this size tile in a kitchen photo just so I can see what it looks like. It seems to me that 4x12 is more of a bathroom tile size.

Just seems I can't win. I'm probably being too picky and spoiled, but if we are going to spend thousands here I figure I should love it... Right?

Has anyone dealt with this before and have some advice? Sorry for the novel... I appreciate any input!

Comments (28)