SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
risforremodel

"Dated" but maybe I need to do it anyway?

risforremodel
9 years ago

Sorry for the long post. We are remodeling the master bath to be followed by hall bath. I am torn on countertops. I was going to go with Tere-stone, which is similar to cultured marble, but supposedly better and more resistant to damage, because I can get the top to have a granite look to it with an all white integrated sink which makes it appear undermounted but without the worry of mold collecting in chalk. Plus the sink could be a recessed oval which means around the sink the countertop lowers creating a ledge to collect water so it runs back into the sink. This was really attractive to me because my family is messy with water and whenever we stay in hotels or at my Dad's house there is a spreading puddle on the countertop that reaches out to items on the vanity top. Very quickly I get a hand towel very wet wiping up this spreading puddle. From reading this forum, a recessed oval sink is "dated." Also, seamless integrated sinks are dated. But I can't stand the spreading puddle and the constantly wet hand towel that then can't be used to dry your hands because it so wet from cleaning the puddle.

A further concern is my daughter who may accidentally leave a curling iron or flat iron on the top. The hall bath currently has what I think is cultured marble or porcelain (how can I tell which?) with an integrated recessed oval sink. So far no damage has happened but that is because she hasn't quite got to the age of hair styling. Soon she will and supposedly with cultured marble, Tere-stone, and quartz you are supposed to put a towel down to prevent damaged finish and also in the case of quartz, fractures. I put my curling iron on it now with no damage, but I am careful that the little metal stand is holding the barrel off the top, but I can't trust a careless tween/teen to do that.

In summary, I am torn because I want the recessed ledge and no chalk of Tere-stone but it is a "dated" look, and I want the no worry about burns from curling/flat irons and nail polish remover spills of granite. But does granite crack from stress of 400 degree flat iron? Quartz seems out of the running because it would mean using a towel to protect from damage of flat iron, so might as well use a towel with Tere-stone and get my recessed ledge and no chalk.

Comments (8)