SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lkplatow

Going to London/Paris - need place to stay & things to do

lkplatow
9 years ago

So a while back, I asked for vacation suggestions for teens and you all were amazingly helpful. We ended up deciding to go to London since my husband was being sent over there for work and airfare is surprisingly cheap right now -- we were able to get tickets for the 3 of us for about 1.5x what it would have cost for 1 ticket last summer. (Hubby's ticket is paid for by work.) My oldest daughter really wants to see Paris so we are going to make a trip over there as well - we'll take the train. Right now, we are thinking about 3 nights in Paris and about 9 in London (my husband will be working some of those days but some will be free for us to venture about -- he's already been a few times and seen all the typical London stuff (Big Ben, the Eye, The Tower, etc.) so I will take the kids there while he's working and then we will explore the more farflung stuff when he's off.

So first off, I know that several of you have posted in the past about renting places from airbnb or homeaway -- does anyone have any specific places in London or Paris that they'd recommend? We are trying to be budget conscious but still want to be close to the touristy stuff. My husband's office will be in central London near St Paul's Cathedral, so we'd like to stay within walking distance (or an easy tube ride of that). And my kids tend to be lousy sleepers in general so I would greatly prefer 2 separate bedrooms with 3 real beds total (e.g. a full and two twins), though I can deal with sofa beds/blow up beds in the living room for the kids if I have to.

Secondly, any suggestions for things we shouldn't miss in either city? For London, I was planning to hit the typical touristy stuff plus do the Harry Potter Studio Tour. We will also have some time to take trips to other English if there's something we shouldn't miss -- 9 days is a long time to spend in London itself, right? I don't know much about Paris at all -- would like to see the Eiffel Tower, the Louvre, and the catacombs...not sure what else is "must see." I will say that my kids are young teens (14 and 11) and probably don't have the patience to spend hours on end in art museums or looking at architecture (though my son is very excited to see the Mona Lisa!)

Thanks so much for your help! Any recommendations for anything (travel guides, places to eat, etc.) are also welcome!

Comments (49)