SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bluedahlia5

Miniature african violet drooping badly

bluedahlia5
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

I recently bought a miniature african violet at a violet show/sale. I've had one in the past and had great luck with it. I repotted it with african violet potting soil - though I know it needs more vermiculite - I'm pretty sure the soil is a bit heavy - but I don't think it's too bad. I planted it in an african violet ceramic feeder style pot. Within a few days the leaves began to look a bit limp, and now it's getting very limp. The soil does not seem to be absorbing much moisture through the ceramic pot, so I've chosen to carefully water a bit from the top. Yesterday I panicked because it looked so sad, I put it into a large glass domed refrigerator dish and misted the inside of the dish with water to give it some extra moisture in hopes that the main issue is dryness. I think I should repot it again with better soil but I'm afraid it's in such a fragile state that I might kill it. Please offer any advice if you can. I used to grow lots of african violets - at one time I had more than 30 - but life got in the way and I gave it up. I've started up the hobby again and it seems I'm rusty at my skills. :( I'm including a picture. I hope you can give me some ideas before it's too late! She's so sweet, I don't want to lose her.

Comments (34)