springbank 2015 plant swap

wmc1
7 years ago

are we doing this, and who is starting it

Comments (1.5K)

• signet_gw(6b)
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Rosco_pc Hey no problems I think we have all been there and had that happen to us. Computers are great as long as they work . Sent you the info and here is a pic of Early Bird in my garden ( its a baby) . I am going to have to move it though as it isnt getting enough sun . Will wait till the blooms end .

• blueiris3
    7 years ago

Hi all!

http://empressofdirt.net/grow-clematis-cuttings/

I have learned a fair bit from this blog, so hopefully it helps those who want to try cuttings!

BlueIris3

• Related Discussions

Ross Springbank swap list

Q

Comments (3)
    WoodFishN: I believe that I can find you a Plumeria. I don't know whether or not it will be a seedling or a I year old but I will bring one along for you. Ross.
    ...See More

Greenville, SC Plant/Seed Swap - Fall 2015

Q

Comments (12)
    I've been to a Spring plant swap in Greenville for the last few years, but the women who hosted it in the past weren't able to this year. I just found out this year that the SC Upstate Permaculture Society has an annual swap, but I found out rather late and couldn't go. SC Upstate Permaculture Society
    ...See More

2016 Springbank - London, ON - plant swap, part one

Q

Comments (176)
    Update on May 6th: Offer list: No trade requested. Hosta, green with with edging, very common type Daylily 'Sammy Russell' (great thanks to Signet). blooming little later than old Ditch orange lily, similar high, reserved by Dinie Lily of the valley, reserved by Serendipity helianthus tuberosus, either tubers or plants Trade list: Oriental Lily bulbs, 6 varieties available, 1 bulb per trade Lilium “Acapulco”, 1 bulb, reserved by Ross Lilium “Casablanca”, 2 bulbs, one reserved by Flowergirl, one remain Lilium “Stargazer”, 2 bulbs, one reserved by Flowergirl, one remain Lilium “Sorbonne", 2 bulbs, reserved by Ross and Flowergirl Lilium “Tom Pouce”, 1 bulb, reserved by Flowergirl Lilium “Muscadet”, 1 bulb, reserved by Flowergirl Tulip bulbs, 3 varieties available, 3 bulbs per trade (left from last fall planting, storage in cold room whole winter) 'Pays-Bas', 6 bulbs, 3 reserved by Flowergirl, 3 remain 'Mount Tacoma', 6 bulbs, reserved by Flowergirl and Ross 'Aveyron', 3 bulbs, reserved by Flowergirl Iris: 'Victoria Falls', 10+ available, 1 rthzorne per trade, 5 reserved by Blueiris, 5 reserved by Mauritiana, few tiny pieces left Dwarf bearded 'baby brown eyes', (picture available) limited to 1 trade, reserved by Serendipity Pixie Dwarf Lily: Red, small bulbs, 2 available Colchium: autumnale, 2 or 3 bulbs per pot depend on size, 2 pots reserved by Blueiris, 2 pots reserved by Dinie Hostas: Honeybells August Moon, reserved by Dinie Fire and Ice, reserved by Dinie Bleeding Heart, pink Daylilies: Stella De Oro Tall bearded, flower is slitily larger than orange ditch, yellow with red centre (picture available), 2 small size clumps available Looking for: Pixie Dwarf Lily in any colour except red Gaint Hostas, any tall and huge leaf varieties Irises, any except yellow water Iris Columbines, any varieties since I have no left even those I received from last year trade due to husband's 'mistake' Phlox except pink Echinacea, such as 'Pink Poodle', 'Pink Double Delight', 'Secret Lust' Daylilies, prefer any varieties which blooming within 2 feet high Dwarf Bee-balm
    ...See More

2016 Springbank - London ON - Plant Swap, Part 3

Q

Comments (238)
    Did anyone bring rue, Ruta graveolens? That looks like another possibility. If you put on disposable gloves or something else to keep the sap off your hands, you can test it. Crush a few leaves, and if it is rue, you will notice a strong, unpleasant smell. The hand protection is necessary because the sap of rue leaves could cause a rash. Your plant also looks like Corydalis lutea, but for me the seedlings bloom the first year wherever they pop up.
    ...See More
  • signet_gw(6b)
    7 years ago

Thanks BlueIris

• flowergirl_on
    7 years ago

To everyone that got some oxalis triangularis that doesn't have any experience with them: They were at the gambler's circle under house plants but don't be afraid to plant them in the ground for the summer. They do really well there. Also some people plant them in pots outside for the summer. In the fall you can just pot them up and bring indoors. Here is a pic from two years ago:

• serendipity44
    7 years ago

They look beautiful FLOWERGIRL, especially next to the pelargonium...and I have both of them! :) I don't know what the weather in London has been like lately, but we have been getting SO much rain and rough winds this June....my poor plants. Even my established ones are taking a beating and the blooms are short lived as the winds are blowing the flower petals everywhere! I am not enjoying this summer so far...I sure hope it improves. It makes it very hard to do anything in the garden. It rained all day yesterday day and night and raining again today. I hope at least you all are getting the sunshine! The pictures certainly help to brighten the day!

• flowergirl_on
    7 years ago

It has been raining here also...a lot, but not at the moment. And it is cold... I was just outside shaking the water off my tall larkspurs. They got blown over by the winds and the rain. It will warm up a little tomorrow.

• rosco_pc
    7 years ago

Lois: The Cosmos Rubenza that you traded with me is blooming!. What a nice colourful addition of deep red it is to the garden. Thanks. Ross.

• greylady_gardener
    7 years ago

Ross--glad to hear that you are getting some blooms! :) I do love the colour. I got the original seeds from a generous GWer from Nova Scotia and planted them the first time last year....and the groundhog got all but one which I then got more seeds from (whew!)

No blooms for me yet but I had to replant so mine are small yet and I have ended up with three out of five plants.....not sure what got them this year as they were still tiny when they disappeared.

The rudbeckia 'maya' that I got from you last year is blooming well right now and looks great! ...definitely one I want to keep in the garden! (looks great planted with the veronica 'royal candles')

• Tulip
    7 years ago

Just a update to All,

Rooted from cutting for Clemaits seems not as easy as I thought at the beginning. So far all my first try have failed. But the summer just start, I guess there still time for more testing. I will keep trying until the end of season and update here if I'm lucky with any success.

• Tulip
    7 years ago

Clemaits cuttings for propagation list

#1, large blue flower

#2, Dark Cherry Red flower

#3, Dark Purple flower

#4, Blue Boy (integrifolia)

Thank you for Signet to help me indentified it!

#5, Autume Sweet

#6, Clematis Tangutica (Signet, Thanks you again for the identification), Yellow bell shape flower, much smaller than #4, similar size as Autume Sweet

#7, Blue light. First year blooming, purchased bare-root from Costco last year

Here is the package when I purchased last year, seems totally different variety. :(
    #8, Empress, This one is one of the reason we purchased our house three years ago, but never blooming like the picture below. Which is from the previous owner.

• blueiris3
    7 years ago

Hi Tulip, Wow those are all beautiful! I especially like #4 the bell shaped blue one.

A couple years ago I tried clematis from cuttings, I think I started with 20 or so, and ended up with 3 growing new leaves. Not sure how those plants fared?

Cheers,
    BlueIris3

• signet_gw(6b)
    7 years ago

Hi Tulip, I think your little yellow clematis Is probably Clematis Tangutica or possibly one closely related called Clematis Orientalis or maybe one called "Orange Peel" but most likely C. Tangutica .......Hope this helps you id it .

• serendipity44
    7 years ago

Well, one good weekend and we are back to rain again. And it was torrential rain at that this afternoon. Poor plants are getting whipped around by all the wind and rain. I finally went out and bought a pair of good old fashion rubber boots and they sure have come in handy!

If you remember, I was waiting for my Blackthorne daylilies to bloom. I just bought them this year and got 3 plants to put in front of my purple clematis. I got them from Sheridan Nursery, through work with a discount...however they were still not cheap. But I was excited to have a white/cream based daylily. One has just bloomed and it is NOT a Blackthorne, and far from it - it's orangey-red! The second one is close to blooming and it looks like it will be the same...I'm not sure about the third. It reminds me of the story Tulip said about being careful about buying peonies at lower end stores as you don't always get what you think you're getting! I emailed Sheridan and they will replace them, but how does that happen at one of the top-notch nurseries???

• Dottersccv
    7 years ago

It does happen. Another scenario I've seen - have to watch that info-tabs inserted don't get moved around by other customers as well. Good you emailed Sheridan and they are happy to replace -

• signet_gw(6b)
    7 years ago

Serendipity , I am so sorry to hear that you didn't get what you thought you were getting . You should be aware that a lot of the big nurseries buy and bring in their plants. They don't grow them themselves and so are at the mercy of the companies they buy from .

Also in regards to daylilies in these big box plant stores , many of them are tissue cultured and don't perform well and have limitations that true field grown daylilies don't have . When the daylily material is tissue cultured for some reason something in the growth of the daylily gets screwed up . There maybe a slight difference in height or color or if as in your case the daylily has an eye , if you sat a tissue cultured bloom beside one that isn't tissue cultured you would see a difference in the shape perhaps or the size of the eye or the colour or even the size of the bloom . Tissue cultured plants just dont perform well.

You would be better off buying from a small daylily grower or even one of the big famous hybridizers . Plants are usually in excellent health ( I only ever came across one grower who sent me crap and I wont ever deal with him again ) , true to name ( because they aren't dealing with thousands of plants at one time ) less costly, and to boot most growers send along a bonus plant worth at least what you paid for the plant you ordered or sometimes even more.

An example , this year I ordered from a certain daylily grower . The plants I wanted were older but I am collecting a particular hybridizer who is no longer alive and so are not expensive assuming you can find them . The least expensive was $8 and the most expensive one was $22 . The bonus plant I received was a cultivar that sells for $45 .

Ordering from a daylily grower is much more personalized. Places like Sheridan's have set prices......whereas a daylily grower usually reduces the prices for their daylilies as the daylily gets older .

For example , The original Blackthorne daylily (the cultivar you bought) when first registered by Trimmer in 1996 and made available for sale would have probably been anywhere from $100 to $150 per single fan. That price drops quickly in the daylily world ......to now where it is almost a 20 year old daylily and widely distributed and no doubt tissue cultured and sold by many of the big nurseries should cost no more than $ 7 or 8 dollars. However you are still probably getting a tissue cultured daylily from the big nurseries whereas you would get the real deal from a daylily grower. The big nurseries dont tell you that , they are counting on people not knowing a daylily from a doorknob .

If you have any questions please dont hesitate to email me .

Signet

• serendipity44
    7 years ago

Hi Signet. Thanks for the info. It was interesting to hear how the whole DL process goes. I don't know any small local or online places to order daylilies (except you now) or plants but I see what you say about the big growers. The ironic thing was the supplier we deal with at Sheridan had got them straight from the farm...he said.

I don't want to hog the board with my questions about DLs - would you mind giving me your email?

Thanks.

• blueiris3
    7 years ago

Hello Tulip,

Thought this might help:
    http://empressofdirt.net/grow-clematis-cuttings/

Cheers,
    Heather

• signet_gw(6b)
    7 years ago

Serendipity . I tried to email you but you don't have your profile set for that . I don't like to put my email on the board if I can help it . It just brings a whole lot of spam for weeks.

• serendipity44
    7 years ago

Yes I can totally understand that. I am still getting used to how this site works as GardenWeb is the first forum I've been active in on Houzz. I looked at my profile and my email shows up and also the option 'let people I follow msg me' (I'm not sure if that one is relevant). What else do I need to do to allow email messages?

• signet_gw(6b)
    7 years ago

Serendipity , I give up , your Houzz profile page just doesnt allow me to find your email or any way to message you either so here is my email . Spam be damned ..... dirtundermyfingernails123 at yahoo dot com.

By the way if anyone who attended the swap this year is interested in seeing the daylilies the next two weeks will be prime time for the blooms. I dont know if people want to come on a weekend or a weekday or weekday evening , individually or as a group but if you let me know I am home most of the time . I am thinking I will set aside next Sunday the 18th say from 2 p.m. to ? and if people want to get together again we can do it at my place , have some garden chat , some punch , some snacks and you all can wander the gardens ( dont look at the weeds)and

check out the pot belly pigs ! If you are interested in that , email me .

• signet_gw(6b)
    7 years ago

bump

• Tulip
    7 years ago

Wow! I love the last one!

• signet_gw(6b)
    7 years ago

Hi all, well based on the response I am not going to do the Sunday thing (people have previous plans and that is to be expected) . If anyone wants to visit ......just drop me an email and we can make arrangements for individual visits if it ever stops raining !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• rosco_pc
    7 years ago

TULIP: Just wanted to let you know that I have had a small success in that one of the Wisteria seeds you provided me has sprouted and is now about 2" tall. I will be babying this for the rest of the summer as it continues to grow and gain strength in my coldframe. Thanks for the seed! Ross.

• Tulip
    7 years ago

Just want to share few photos I took at Signet's amazing, wonderful, gorgeous, lovely garden today. THANK YOU!

Here are just very few, compare with all blooming beauty she has, this is nothing. Anyone has time should visit the garden and enjoy the showy flowers on real eyes not only photos. My mum and I flower in love immediately when close to the front gate on the road!

Signet, thank you again for everything, specially all your time spend with us today. My husband was totally stocked when I show him all those pictures I took today. He can't believe they are all Daylily. Daylily in his mind is only something like ditch Lily, but now he's willing to learn more and more.

• Tulip
    7 years ago

Rose, I'm so sorry the generate rate was so low. I will pick more seeds for you if there is any this year. Mine did not bloom well this year, only very few in early spring and just two right know. But if there is seeds in fall, I will save them for you.

• serendipity44
    7 years ago

The pics are gorgeous! The lime yellow day lily is very interesting.

• signet_gw(6b)
    7 years ago

Hi Serendipity ......that daylily is called a spider form . It is the daylily Lois Burns a 1986 registered daylily. It glows in the garden !

Were you still planning on visiting ?

• Dottersccv
    7 years ago

Beautiful photographs of Signet's beautiful garden Tulip.

• Dottersccv
    7 years ago

Greetings all - Who has experience with False Indigo?. I have two plants, second or third summer, no blooms. Right now one is showing dark pods. Plants look healthy. They are out in full sunlight near my beautifully blooming gauras, russian sage, pineapple sage, lavenders, snapdragons, dahlias etc. so it can't be lack of sun. Do I have to wait another year for blooms?

• Dottersccv
    7 years ago

Greetings all - regarding Firethorn. I would like to start a new plant from a very old bush in my backyard. Does anyone have any experience they can share? Plan is to grab a few of the fruits and stick them in a pot. Could also do a cutting. Perhaps both.

• signet_gw(6b)
    7 years ago

Hi Dotters . I grow False Indigo here. I am not sure I understand your dilemma. If you have pods ,you had flowers . Perhaps you just missed seeing them ? I will take a picture of my plant tomorrow which also has seed pods at this point . I have the blue blooming version , what color is yours?

As for Firethorn it probably would be much quicker to have a decent size plant in a much shorter time if done from cuttings. Check out this website http://www.pyracantha.co.uk/pyracantha-cultivation/how-to-take-pyracantha-cuttings. If you do do it from seed, I would ferment the seed to be certain . I.e. take the berries and squish them into a small container with water . allow the berry part to ferment .....once the berries have fermented, the seeds should drop to the bottom of the container . Strain off the fermented pulp and rinse the seeds and then plant. Place pot in indirect sun and keep well watered. It may take quite a while to germinate.

Do you use your Firethorn berries to make jelly? Here is a link in case you want to try it http://www.eattheweeds.com/firethorn-pyracantha-coccinea-2/

Hope this helps

Signet

• Dottersccv
    7 years ago

Very helpful comments thank you Signet. It was purchased with blue flowers. I'm out in the garden every day so it would have had to be a fast bloom for me to miss it. I will take a photo of what I think are the seed pods. A second False Indigo plant is now being eaten up by something. A bad year in my garden for plant damage, insects including roses, my beautiful yellow spurge. I'm coping with aphids, J. beetle and earwigs this year. Sigh.

• Dottersccv
    7 years ago

This is my first year for gladiolas. They are only now starting to show beautiful flowers. I wish to move them. The internet shows glads should be taken out of the soil for zones 7 and colder. London is zone 6A. Plan is to perhaps move the corms to a better location and leave them in ground for winter. Comments/suggestions?

• Tulip
    7 years ago

Basically, Gladiolas can't over winter in ground without heavy temperature protection in our area. If you do want to try it, cover at least 3" mulch with 6" compost or aged manure on top plus at least 3 feet snow will do.

Two years ago, I forgot to dig out my Gladiolas in a spot just beside end of driveway (south facing), there is one inch mulch left on top and plus over 6 feet snow most of time during that winter. Surprisely, most of them survive during that chilly winter and blooming very well the next summer. But I can't guarantee the success rate.

• Tulip
    7 years ago

To all, have some Water Lettuce to give away, any interested?

• Dottersccv
    7 years ago

Hi tulip, thank you for sharing your experience with gladiolas. That is very helpful.

• Dottersccv
    7 years ago

I posted a comment looking for candy lily and have now deleted it as I found some. Can't believe it is August.

• serendipity44
    7 years ago

Hi Signet - I am going to be in London on Wednesday (12th); will you be around by chance and mind a visit?

• signet_gw(6b)
    7 years ago

Hi Serendipity , I should be ,but have to say that we are very much on the down side of the daylily blooming season. We seemed to race thru the blooming time this year . Soon I will be cleaning up beds and cutting down scapes that dont have seed pods on them . It is starting to look really sad. The season this year was at least a week advanced due to all the rain . The weeds unfortunately dont seem to have a season and just keep growing and growing .

I am hoping for some rebloom as we still have a fair amount of summer and early fall to go thru .

Email me the day before so I know whether or not you will be coming for certain and whether I am available please.

Thanks

• serendipity44
    7 years ago

Hi Signet. I know you had said the daylilies would be past their peak but from the pictures and comments it seems like you have lots of other lovely plants and gardens to admire. I will touch base Tuesday to see what your schedule is like.

• serendipity44
    7 years ago

Hi, just an FYI...I found a nursery online which I visited today that has an amazing selection of plants! And the even better part is that ALL plants are $6 for 1 gallon sized pits, all the time, all season!! It's called Northland Nursery (www.northlandnursery.com) and is located in Waterdown. I know it's not exactly close to London (about halfway between Milton and London) but in case you are ever in that area, it's definitely a place I would recommend! I bought some clematis's today and some hostas....I had to walk away at that point or I would have been there all afternoon and brought home a carload!

• Dottersccv
    7 years ago

Need some help identifying this plant! I took this photo on a farm by Lake Erie. oops sorry re size

• jackiecheesecorn
    6 years ago

looks like soapwort to me .

• krystarz
    6 years ago

Just read this thread over the last few days sorry I missed this years swap though I'm not sure what I'd offer from my gardens grin crept dalhias lol caught that bug last year would folks be interested in open pollinated seedlings from hostas first year I've had any and this year al of them did including my blue mouse ear hosta, bloomarang lilacs seedlings lots of other seeds I'll be planting next year lol....

Alas the rain was so heavy in July that my dahlia were very stingy with tubers so I stored them in clumps

ive stored most of my seeds but as yet to make a list

• signet_gw(6b)
    6 years ago

Hi Krystarz , the swap is open to anyone and any plant so I am sure come next spring when the post goes up for the swap that people would be interested in your dahlias and lilacs and whatever else you would like to trade . Keep your eyes peeled for the new post for the swap 2016 .....We ha a great turn out this past spring You will have a great time if you join in next spring

• Tulip
    6 years ago
    Hi everyone,
    The spring is here. Do we start 2016 swap again?
  • greylady_gardener
    6 years ago

Hi tulip just to let you know that there is a new thread started for the 2016 swap.......:)

• Dottersccv
    6 years ago

Oh dear, can you get me there lol?

• signet_gw(6b)
    6 years ago

Hi Dottersccv just check for Springbank swap 2016 if that is what you are referring to . It is on the main page.

Sponsored
Gainesville's Experienced Paving Craftsman & Top Quality Driveways