SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hairmetal4ever

subterranean heating/cooling in a Mid-Atlantic (Maryland, z7) climate

hairmetal4ever
9 years ago

I'm posting as a separate topic since I'm "late to the party" regarding this subject.

I realize most people trying this system are in the Rocky Mountain states, but I am brainstorming to see if this would work here in Maryland. I doubt I could use it as my only heating/cooling source here (esp. cooling) but it might be a nice supplement.

We're not as sunny as the Rockies - we get a decent percentage of sunshine in spring and summer, but we have humidity, haze, etc. However, we're still in a climate where, overall, I think cooling is more of a challenge than heating in a GH situation.

Just a few questions about the concepts and if they might work.

First off, if I do build a GH, I'd probably opt to only use from about October until May, rather than try to fight nature with shade cloth, ventilation fans with the power of Hurricane Katrina, etc. Moving plants outside for summer seems easier to me.

So - some general thoughts I'd like some clarification on.

1. The system works based on the concept that, deep in the subsoil, temps are fairly constant, but also, that when used for cooling, the "waste heat" warms the soil a bit, and that warmth is used in heating mode. It seems that, over time, soil temps around the tubes will stablize somewhere around whatever temp you are trying to maintain the GH at, but of course will trend warmer through spring and cool off in fall and winter.

2. It would seem to me that in my climate, a "backup" for both heating and cooling is a must, to avoid issues. If I were to try this I'd still have a traditional heater and ventilation fan that is set to kick on at "critical" temps on both ends.

3. Seems that in fall and early winter, the system would provide enough heat, but by late winter, it may not. Since even sunny winter days probably get too hot around here in a GH, it might provide a better system of cooling (bringing in 55 degree air from the grond instead of 25 degree air from outside, shocking plants) until mid-Spring, where the soil probably would get too warm to be effective and outside air works better.

4. Just how warm or cool is the air coming out of the tubes at any given time? Is there a point where if you want it warmer than X from a heating perspective, that it makes more sense to shut it off and use the "regular" heater if you have one? I'd imagine that if the air coming out is colder than what you're trying to maintain, it would be sabatoge to leave it running if you're also using another heat system.

5. What is the ratio of GH size to what you need to have underground? Should it stay under the GH itself?

It's all conceptual for me at the moment, but very interesting.

Comments (6)