SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plan2remodel

Solid or engineered wood treads on stairs

plan2remodel
9 years ago

I'm in the middle of a major home renovation, which included changing the stairs from the 1st to the 2nd floor. I will be putting in new engineered wood flooring throughout the house, except for kitchen and bathrooms. I have chosen LM St Laurent distressed European oak, color Laval.

I'm conflicted about whether to use engineered or solid wood on the stair treads. I plan to use white on the risers and skirt. I will likely have white wood balusters.

I have received two bids for the flooring, close in price. One installer said that he would be able to use solid oak on the stair treads and match it exactly to the engineered wood. The 2nd installer admitted that he would not be able to get an exact match. He recommended using engineered wood on the stair treads.

Is one installer being overly optimistic about matching the stain?

My options are:

a) engineered wood on the treads, so it would match the flooring, but not the railing;

b) solid wood on the treads, and try to match the stain and texture (distressed and lightly brushed) to the flooring;

c) solid wood on the treads in a darker stain and match the railing to the treads.

Comments (2)