SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dave_varel

need help pruning trees

Dave Varel
9 years ago

I have a Kentucky Coffee Tree (gymnocladus dioicus) that was grown from a 24" bareroot seedling. It was transplanted in 2009. I have not done any pruning on it since it was planted in 2009 because it was basically just a single stem whip until last spring. It is now about 12 feet tall and needs to be pruned to a central leader. I am comfortable pruning my native oaks, maples and even red bud, but this tree has me hesitant to proceed.

It is not shaded out by any large trees but it still wants to lean to the west. In the summer It does get shaded by about 4pm from our garage not seen in either pict. 1st pict shows neighbors garage to the north east.

What is the recomended approach to pruning this tree?

I placed a couple red lines where i think it should get pruned. Sorry, they are a little hard to see.

Will it straighten itself out if i pick this leader.

Should I just go for it? I don't want to do more harm than good. Also should I head back the lower 2-3 branches to about 12" long. I do not want them as permanent branches, but can leave to help grow caliper for a while. However, there isn't much branch structure there now.

Comment (1)