SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nippstress

Do you ever rearrange the rest of your life around roses?

Hi folks

I obviously love growing and talking about roses - with 750 roses I'd better enjoy the growing, and I figure about 90% of my personal on-line time is Gardenweb Roses or Antique Roses. Still, that isn't exactly that much time, and I do have a fairly significant "real life" that takes up most of my time. I have a more than full-time job that I love, a family with kids at home, church, exercise, friends and other social activities that collectively claim most of my time and energies. That's why gardening is such a special time for me - it's one of my only purely "me" times that allow me to regroup from the busyness elsewhere.

So that's why I found it interesting to see how much of my recent planning of some surgeries revolved as much around roses as it did around work or family. Last fall my physical therapist said after four years of therapy it really was time to get my hip replaced or I'd need back surgery too. I'm not all that old, but I have hereditary arthritis issues. Well, in order to get the hip replaced, I had to do surgery to repair a full tear in a rotator cuff from a fall over a year ago, so I could bear weight on the arm in the hip rehab. From a work perspective, summer would have been the best time for both surgeries, but it was already past summer by the time this came up, and really - to be without an arm or a leg during prime gardening season? If I had to of course I would, but I did some crafty planning around that.

Turns out I could fit in the shoulder surgery around Thanksgiving when I could arrange to have someone cover key tasks at work, then rehab the shoulder for two months and do the hip replacement in February (Tuesday this week), when I could also get some coverage for work. Not coincidentally - as I admit to all of you - Thanksgiving just HAPPENS to be after the garden has mostly shut down in zone 5 and I could get my winter protection up. Also, February is well before even rose pruning starts in zone 5, which is actually extremely important, since apparently even a scratch or bug bite can be enough to cancel the surgery. HA, like I ever have a day in the spring, summer or fall when I don't look like some rabid cat has attacked my legs and arms. It seems February was the ideal time to have the hip surgery after all, and planning around the roses helped me out.

Not only that, but while I'm out for the next month or so on hip rehab (and I use that term loosely - I'm probably still back at work at least twice a week for unavoidable tasks), I get to follow my doctor's orders for rehab. He wants me to take short walks throughout the day, sitting down between those tasks, and using my upper body and core muscles to keep blood moving. Does that sound like spring rose pruning to anyone else (smile)? I get to not only avoid boring staff meetings, but get my rose pruning done at a leisurely pace for a change while on medical leave. Not that any of this is happening soon, of course. I'm still propped up in my recliner watching the 2 degree temperatures outside and glad not to be doing much of anything (except of course reading and Gardenweb).

How about you? Any of you arrange your lives around roses? Has the excuse of roses actually helped you out in the long run, as it did me? Obviously there are many things more important to me than roses, but it's nice when things work out conveniently this way.

Cynthia

Comments (21)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH