SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cebury

Spraying SW Primer and wb Paint with Airless - tip size?

cebury
9 years ago

I've read hundreds of posts and found 3 that address this issue, so I'd like some confirmation pretty please.

Question: What tip size is appropriate for spraying Sherwin Williams Wall and Wood Primer (interior latex) and ProClassic Interior Acrylic Enamel for trim?

The SW folks didn't know, just read the side of the can. Both primer and paint cans denote .017"-.021" which is huge. Posts range from .010-.013 with NO thinning, suggesting Fine Finish tips (for paint) for double atomization for plastic-like smooth finish. One states the can is just "playing it safe" and you can't realistically apply it with that size without sags and runs. Another claims field experience proves the smaller tips are just fine.

Wouldn't using a .010 tip restrict at least some solids (silica, calc carbonate, etc) within primer material? Or is it the FF tip that somehow allows for this?

Question: Is the FF tip needed for the primer? Don't you lightly sand afterward anyway?
I'm wondering this: I spray it all on, appears OK, but the quality (durability or lay) that I've paid a small fortune were left sitting on the bottom of the can. I'll deal with spray issues: "this tip clogs @ 2k", or using larger orifices and move like lightning to apply it.

Some details:

• Using Graco 5 airless (max tip size of .015)

• ~1000 lf of of pre-primed mdf trim (base, casing, chair, crown and doors).

• Somewhat experienced with airless interior (walls, ceiling, doors) and exterior fences.

• Already purchased the SW Primer and paint (semi-gloss).

• Using "pre-paint everything" method. Spray first, touchup brad hole repairs spackle/primer/paint. If I didn't hate brushwork so, I'd brush it all as that's the perfectionist method.

• I have new tips: FF210 and regular 211, 313 and 415/515.

• IdahoPainter has a few youtubes that show FF310

Comments (4)