SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ralphw_gw

Dwarf Tomatoes - Anyone Growing Them?

Ralph Whisnant
9 years ago

I recently acquired a copy of the excellent new book "Epic Tomato" by Raleigh's Craig LeHoullier of Tomato Palooza fame. In it he talks about the Dwarf Tomato Breeding Project he and several others are involved in. There are about two dozen new dwarf varieties which resulted from crosses they are doing between an old dwarf variety and different heirloom tomatoes. The new varieties reportedly have the size and taste similar to the heirlooms but on an indeterminant plant that is small enough to grow well in a 5-gallon container. I have not had a great deal of success with Heirlooms because about the time they begin to set fruit they succumb to some disease or another, so I am interested in trying them in containers and 5-gal containers sound a lot easier than the 15-gallons ones needed for most regular sized tomatoes. Craig has been selling some of these new varieties along with an assortment of heirlooms at the Raleigh Farmers Market for several years, so I was wondering if anyone has any experience with them to share? I hope to get seed of several and if successful will likely have some to share at this spring's Plant Swap. Here is a link to Craig's web site. From there you can find links to the dwarf varieties and a few vendors carrying seed of some of them. www.nctomatoman.com At his recent book signing he commented that because of the time he will be spending out of town on his book tour, he will not be selling at the State Farmers Market this year, but will sell out of his home.

Comments (6)