SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aran_yeo

Does anyone know the name of this plant?

Aran Yeo
9 years ago

Does anyone know the name of this plant?

Comments (13)

• Aran Yeo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much! :) I'm going to get it this weekend!

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    9 years ago

I remember reading in a British magazine, years ago, how this plant travelled from friend to friend all over the UK and further, and it was unidentified. Then someone wrote in with the name. It is a really special house plant, and if I recall rightly, can get quite big. I wonder if it is still as popular.

• russ_fla
    9 years ago

Marguerite, just curious as to where you are... Ireland perhaps? Wondering if we traded succulents and sansevierias many years ago.

Russ, central Florida USA

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    9 years ago

Russ, I think that is me, I am in Ireland. We corresponded around the time the Sanseviera forum started? I treasured those plants and lost many when I suddenly lost my mobility - family did their best to help - Now I grow plants mainly in the house and around the back door where they're accessible to me, but I know that some of the succulents are still in the tunnel and pretty old now; however, because of low temperatures combined with two unusually cold winters the Sans didn't make it. It's lovely to be remembered. My e-mail is nospamelder@iol.ie I can't seem to find anyone's e-mail here lately.

• russ_fla
    9 years ago

Very small world Marguerite, I remember specifically that you sent a Twisted Sister which you labeled Twist. I still have one that I'm trying to save from rotting, but not sure it's the one you sent. I do still have a few succulents with the name Maggie on labels, I've always assumed that was you. I'm so sorry that you've lost mobility, I think we all face that possibility at some point in our lives. But at least you can continue growing in spaces you have access to, so that's a blessing.

What types of plants do you grow now? Have you had to switch to ones that tolerate lower light, such as tropicals? Now I'm wondering which plants I still have from you, I'll look for those few today to satisfy my curiosity. Plants with history connected to people are important to me, I have many that were sent by people who are passed on, such as Alfonso Miro from Gardenweb who sent philodendrons some years ago. Also succulents from Hans in PA from Gardenweb, and a few others. I value old, heirloom plants, those that very few people grow any more, especially aglaonemas which are Chinese Evergreens. I have a big collection of those.

Anyway, think I'm rambling here. Good to reconnect!!

Russ

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    9 years ago

I recall you sent me a Sansevieria cylindrica, and at least a couple of unusual S. hahniis. I can't remember the others you sent, except that you were most generous. We had a computer breakdown in the mid-2000s and lost all e-mail addresses and correspondence. I remember it because one of my sons lost a whole thesis with six weeks to go and had to start again with just his notes; that was a terrible time as another son who was trying to fix a computer glitch got the blame. Oh, the angst !

Now I grow house plants, most I have had for years; also just a few cacti and various succulents such as Ledebouria, (which I may have got from you), but particularly jade plants. They are ideal because they can stay out until late autumn here, and are happy after that in windows inside. In the tunnel there are echeverias, agaves, aloes, that sort of plant, and my gardening sons look after those. It is much warmer where you are, of course. I bet you have hundreds of sansevierias by now.

I am a bit more mobile lately now that I have become used to being on wheels, and sure maybe it won't always be the case.

It was so nice to hear from you, Russ.

• Evelyn Harris
    9 years ago

I don't have a picture but I know what it looks like. It is a succulent that likes water. Tall, thin stems with leaves, but I really wouldn't call them leaves, alternately placed around the stem. Someone said "mother of ??" It gets flowery growths at the end of the "leaves" that fall and make new babies. It's divine! I've never known the name but always have them in my house.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Evelyn
    You are probably thinking 'mother of thousands', which is kalanchoe (plant in the photo is not kalanchoe).

But, there is also saxifraga stolonifera that some know as mother of thousands...and (Piggyback plant)Tolmiea menziesii - I have seen this one referred to as mother of thousands too...I don't think they have long stems like the plant in OP's photo.

Do you have photo of your plant?

ps: another, seldom referred to as mother of thousands is soleirolia soleirolii - commonly known as baby's tears...

• pelargonium_gw
    9 years ago

Pilea peperomioides used to go by the name "Missionary plant" here in Norway. It was said that missionaries brought them home, from Madagaskar, I think. I don't see them often nowadays, but in the 70's and 80's they were quite popular. I have never seen them where plants are sold, they went from home to home. Very easy to grow.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

Evelyn, it's much less confusing if you start a new discussion for a new question. It does sound like a Kalanchoe. There are several species that make the leaf-edge babies you describe.

• Russ1023 (central Fla)
    9 years ago

I agree Tiffany, probably a Kalanchoe. Although K. daigremontiana is usually considered the 'Mother of Thousands' in the realm of kalanchoes, Evelyn's description of "... growths at the ends of the leaves" sounds to me like K. tubiflora. Evelyn, you might Google Kalanchoe tubiflora for an image and see if this is your plant.

K. tubiflora 'got loose' in my parent's yard in Cocoa Beach and in spite of my efforts to get rid of it, I can still find it here and there. In addition to an unidentified species of Sansevieria, possibly metallica, many thousands of K. tubifloria can be found at the ramp entrance to the beach across the street from my parent's home. I think the sansevieria may have been originally planted by county workers to help with beach erosion.

Russ, central Fla

• Evelyn Harris
    9 years ago

wish they could survive outdoors in Easthampton, MA ... its a perfect ground cover. not possible here in western mass. thanks for the info on the name...