SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tcamp30144

Bugs 16

Bugs 15 is getting to big so starting this one.

Trace

Comments (376)

• maggyby
    9 years ago

Brian, I was just reading an old post which I sent to Laura . It seems like so long ago now and I knew nothing. I still know only a little but learning. Your trees in that post are so gorgeous. Now Brian, this is on my list for things to do in Portugal. Check it out .

http://www.mrfrutas.com/index.php?seccao=visitas

What do you think. Wouldn't you love this.Too bad you all cannot come with me. Maggy

• maggyby
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

http://algarveblog.net/2013/01/13/o-is-for-oranges/Don't want to bore you all but you have to read this blog about Citrus. Some of the responses are interesting. Maggy

• Related Discussions

Replacing MTD Yard Bug drive belt

Q

Comments (16)
    Well, I set off to replace my belts in this way. Undoing the engine bolt worked eventually, though I had to heat it up with a gas gun then hit the end with an impact wrench. Unfortunately that's where things fouled up. The pulleys were seized on. I tried a seriously strong puller, which only bent the pulleys out of shape. So - lateral thinking........ The things that are stopping the belts coming off are the keeps - two rods down the sides of the pulleys. It turns out that they are only held on by half-inch gripper nuts at the top, and are easily removed. Now the belts are free to drop off the pulleys. Further round the system there's a silver coloured link thing. Undo the bolt at the link end, then undo the nut holding the pulley. Shift the pulley out along its shaft so that the belt can clear the keep. There's a big spring in the way, but you can manoeuvre the the belt round it. That gets both front belts off and back on. I haven't tried to get the short belt at the back off, because it looks like you have to take the rear axle off. Bernie
    ...See More

Some from this week 6/16

Q

Comments (7)
    Iris gal, Del Rio seems like a good variety so far. I just got it from ARE this spring. Its not on HMF though...I've tried to list it as a missing plant twice, but I know they're swamped so it never gets added :( The roses where the nest is are luckily on my back patio table, so they're off the ground. I still worry about my dogs hearing the babies once they hatch though...I would consider moving the pot, but I don't want the mom to abandon them....what to do, what to do hmmm Tammy
    ...See More

Daily Support Mon. Aug. 16th thru Sun.Aug 22nd

Q

Comments (38)
    Thank you so much for the birthday wishes! I am having a great birthday week! Tomorrow I FINALLY get to pick up the new kayak! I'll take it for a paddle out on the bay for a couple of hours.I can hardly wait! Then in the afternoon, I am attending a friend's dtrs going away party. Tomorrow night is our family birthday party at my sis' house. I took my first full day off in almost 4 weeks today.... Whew! Sunday it's church and then veg out ALL DAY LONG!!! George, sweetie, yes I am Greek! But alas, you are not really my type, sad to say. Have you got a brother who is maybe the rugged cowboy type? Wouldn't turn down a spin on your yacht though... ; ) You guys are just the best! love, Tikanis
    ...See More

Quotes 4 - 15 - 16

Q

Comments (3)
    Interesting story with many associations in the film and music communities. The forming of the "Band" and the story line for the TV show was just the beginning, then the film Head 1968 was a rebellion to the film industry and helped lead to Easy Rider. The parallel today would be Glee as far as the show is concerned.
    ...See More
  • Newtster
    9 years ago

Hi Maggy, bare root and soak for a few hours, will do!!!!!

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Hi Cory so glad your back . OMG you have so much going on your quit the lady . Were do you find all the energy ?Are you going to throw out the old toilet or are you going to use it for a flower planter at the front of your house ? Guaranteed to turn a few heads lol. The stove sounds so nice . The dual ovens are really making a comeback . My parents just replaced there old dual oven from the late 1960s for a single convection oven . I wish i had room for that old stove it was very groovy looking . We have a convection oven and I love it. It must me so nice to see grass again I think it won't be to mid April to the snow leaves from here. Very excited about the new GH and I have learned my lesson I am not going to pack this one . This GH is going to be my tropical retreat for the winter . I am going to place a couple of chairs and a little table in there . It will be so nice to be able to take care of my trees properly too. Take care of yourself Cory don't go at it to hard take lots of break's . Laura look at all this amazing help they will have your tree back to it's old self before you know it . I take care of mine so differently than anyone else here but it works extremely well for me but for someone else maybe not . Glad your getting down to the problem quickly . You have such an amazing backyard do you have many other exotic plants ? Lots of hugs Laura. Maggy glad to see you here again . I hope you are getting well fast . When I get home I will check out the website . Actually after I water the GH . I can always tell when my trees need a watering , there will be hardly any humidity showing on the walls of the GH. Have a great night my friend. Hi Mikey another gorgeous day hope your enjoying it .Hugs to you buddy . Hi Steve and Trace.

Brian

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

I want to live there lol. Beautiful Maggy !!!!. You lucky person !!!. Off to the GH to water now. Will take my camera with me just in case anything new is going on . It's 76 in there maybe I will put my shorts on.

Brian

• maggyby
    9 years ago

Brian, you must be excited about getting a new greenhouse. Will you put it together ? Mine has a platform which is insulated so it sts up off the ground.. I have started to think about what new trees to get. What do you think of a Ponderosa lemon? I might put that on my list" do you have any recommendations? I don't think a gratefruit would set fruit in our climate but would love one for the blossoms. I hear they smell fantastic.I wish you could all come with pus to Portugal. Every year Rick does RRSP 'S and now will start doing taxes until May 1st. He leaves all the trip planning to me which I love doing. I can't wait to visit the citrus orchard. Even Rick us excited about that. He is pretty tired and stressed. So this vacation is so necessary for him. Brian I think I figured out why I was so tired. I was taking a medication at bedtime and stopped it abcd feel so much better. Well back to my Champagne, pate' and kielbousa. Take care. Maggy

• myermike_1micha
    9 years ago
    Oh my goodness, where to begin!!???? I think I will start with Cory ....It's been a while since you have been here and I misses you!! Let me go back and see what you had to say or see what if any lovely flowers you posted recently!!
    Cory, I had to go past a few posts to see yours..lol
    I had to hurdle over Brian, Maggy, Trace and Laura, wait, and Steve!!lol
    I know a bugs 17 was started, but dang, it's so much easier to scroll above than to flip back and forth to respond to what might be missed...ha
    I hope I didn't hurt Maggy's arm again rushing to get to you)
    Shees, Cory., what would this world do without you? You do so much that I don't think many could keep up..I hope you like your new stove and let me tell you, a NEW toliet is always beautiful, like looking at a blue sky after days of clouds! Who is going to do the honors of sitting on that for the first time? I remember my experience...Quite nice..lol
    I can't believe you had to move all those plants..Are they back again in the same spot for another month or tw.o..Get this EVERYONE>>>>.I left my space heater on my porch by accident today and it reach 90..It has not been anything warmer than 55 for months...I hope the leaves don't shed and bugs explode..My goodness!
    Cory, I am not sure if you saw the part where I said that we would have t coincide our drinks if we get more then two sunny days in a row??? BUt I am working on my second tomorrow..If three. I'll get you number and we will drink to that!
    It was a whopping 25 today..I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO tired of the cold and the lack of warmth while the 80% of this country basks in it..It good ole New England wallowing in the Arctic I guess..
    Or course I will cut you a few cuttings..I actually was going to take pics this morning but the batteries were dead, go figure.

ALL BY BEAUTIFUL BUSHES I WORKED SO HARD TO GROW ARE CRUSHED!! From 4 to 6 feet high full of fragrant buds to nothing..I am so sick of it! I have to cut them all back, wait until they all flower next year again...I hate it!
    Many hugs Cory
  • myermike_1micha
    9 years ago
    Women first...Maggy!!! Hello..You would not be dissappointed with a POnderosa!! They smell wonderful, bloom several times a year, fruit gets huge, and the best part, they are easy to grow! I have never lost on due to neglect or poor care..Try one..I still have that Kaffir for you)
    I can't wait to get your e-mail..I have lots to say)
    Business is going well..I offer discounted prices on every kind of service you alreayd have from internet, cable, elctricity, cell phone and more!
    Let me know if you want me to help you save, but not here..E-mail and I will help you)
    Now, the shoulder? Is it better today? Please becareful..I want you to be able to climb those citrus trees in Portugal with two arms...
    You need to be careful and besides, you need to start picking up pots soon so you can put them out..Well, not soon but eventually..
    Poor Rick..It always seems we are about to pass out before we get to go away and relax..That is why ten days or more is good...Not less than that.
    Champagne??? Man, can we have a drink with you...? That food sounds good! You never mentioned anything about the orchids I am growing for you..You must not want them now,.?lololol
    Much love my friend..Great advice for Laura too..I love how you explain that..I need to tell Brian his ways would not hurt anyones..I think because we have a system, he thinks his will kill ours...It just might work too if he tells us all his dirty little secrets...ha
    Love you much
  • myermike_1micha
    9 years ago
    Trace, Steve, AND Brian, I'll be back later..I can't believe how fast times goes when you write..I started at 7:15 and now it is time to close up and leave..Yikes!! Hugs to you all!
  • myermike_1micha
    9 years ago
    Ok , one more sec...Hi Trace...I am so glad you are follwing the vinegar thing..That is exacty how rich and green mines look when I stick with it..Try stopping for a few weeks as see what happens? lol If I don't start soon, mine will start loosing their vibrancy and become pale too..Thank goodness for little trick of the trade! Great job my friend!
  • maggyby
    9 years ago

Mikey, my dear friend,So good to be back here. The champagne is delicious. My dear husband bought it for me a long time ago. I am glad your business is going well. I will look for a Pondersoa lemon. I might have to search for one as citrus trees are hard to find here. Maybe Toronto. Did you look at the links for the citrus orchard in the Algarve that we are going to visit. I thought of you and Brian and how much you would love it. It would be the perfect climate for you my dear. How is the Kaffir lime? I will make arrangements with you when I get back from my trip. I am thinking to use a shade cloth and leave the trees in the greenhouse while away . My dog sitter who loves gardening will water them for me. I did not forget about the orchids my friend. I am excited about them as well. Do you have an extra cutting of that wonderful Hoya you mentioned ? I would love a small piece. Isn't Cory amazing. She sure is someone I admire . Mike my trees in the greenhouse are loving the sun. I can smell the scent before I even open the door. Wow! My shoulder is doing very well. Almost full range of motion. The more champagne I drink the better it feels. LOL! I couldn't sleep last night. Just too many things going through my mind. My friend, our trip, I went in the spare room and the dogs followed me then took up the whole bed. Rick does need a vacation . We are going for three weeks. He is a different person when we are in Portugal. Mike, how is Mom,is she enjoying the warmer weather, how is she feeling? I do hope you take a vacation in the sun. It will do you the world of good. Take care my friend. Much love . Kisses and hugs to you and Mom. Maggy

• maggyby
    9 years ago

A quick question. How do I test my water for acidity? What do I use? Maggy

• maggyby
    9 years ago

The PH

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Hi Maggy glad that you're having a nice relaxing evening . You and Rick so deserve it . Just finished a great supper the exact same as last night's . The homemade caesar salad dressing is so good that now i want to eat caesar salad every night and it's made with my Meyer lemons so cool. So glad that Rick is looking forward to his trip and yes I wish I could fit into your luggage . Maggy your going to have to send us pics every day .Looking so forward in getting the new GH I will now be able to enjoy my hobby during the long winter . Maggy Mikey wait until you try a tango soooo sweet almost candy like and so juicy when cuttings it I almost got squirted in the eye . Maggy I would highly recommend a minneola had one of those to tonight sooo juicy and sweet nothing like

a grocery store . I would also recommend a shasta gold very sweet and juicy although the one I had tonight was just starting to dry but had fantastic flavor . The Shasta that I had a month ago was so much more juicy and had a very sweet taste . I am extremely happy with those three , I cannot believe how sweet they are and I live almost in the north pole . Here are a couple of pics from late this afternoon .Maggy first pic is your little tree . Why it put the photo in the middle? ??. Next a pic of some of the fruit

And the tango

Hi Mikey I hope you had a great day . So tired tonight I was in the GH for about 2 hrs after I got home from work . My navel tree has died poor thing and that was one of my first trees . I knew I should of repotted it . The pot that it was in was the same width of my GH door so I couldn't up size the pot . I won't have that problem anymore with the 2 swing open doors that are going to be on my new GH . I will be able to plant them in huge pots . Mikey my friend going to take Sugar for his walk now , he is barking at me like crazy . When we get home I am going to go straight to bed so have a great night my friend hugs hugs . I hope everything is OK in your GH , let us know.

Good night everyone xoxo

Brian

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Sooooo good !!! Eggo with Strawberry 's , Tango mandarin and shasta gold smothered in maple syrup yummy !!! Hi Laura hope your having a great evening . Hope your tree is OK!! Good night my friend hugs . Good night everyone .

Brian

• Newtster
    9 years ago

Yummy, nothing better than syrup!!! Ok, well anything chocolate may be better!!! I am having a great evening because tomorrow is Friday and I'm looking forward to repotting my Grapefruit on Saturday!! Wish me luck, Brian!!! Have a wonderful evening!!

Laura

Xoxo

• Newtster
    9 years ago

Hi Brian, I am so sorry you lost one of your trees!!!!

I hope you take pictures of your new GH once it's up, I would love to see it, it sounds like it will be amazing!!!!

Goodnight!!!!

Laura

• Newtster
    9 years ago

Hi Mike and Maggy, I am going to repot my tree on Saturday with the 5-1-1 mix but I have a question or maybe more. :) First of all, I hope I am not driving you crazy with all my ?s. :) I got home too late to take pictures of the soil, it was too dark. I will for sure tomorrow!! If I lift the tree to find bad roots, should I still soak it in water for a couple of hours? If the roots are not filling the pot, do I put it back in the same pot or should I just plan on getting a larger pot? Yesterday and today it didn't get any sun and it doesn't look so droopy. I also checked for bugs and saw nothing. I'll check in better light tomorrow. Maggy, I know how you feel about leaving your plants. I am going to Montreal in April and leave them in the care of my husband. He will also have to care for the cats and the red wiggler worms!!

Thanks again for all your help!!

Laura

Xoxo

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    9 years ago

BRIAN, that looks so delicious. Now I want one. If I weren'tweren't so tired I would make a waffle right now. I have the fruit.

I started out with a table and chair and a small pond in my greenhouse and loved it. But soon I had to take out the chair, than the table and finally the fish pond. I always wanted a chaise lounge in there, but I never have time to sit on one anyway. Now I can hardly fit in to take care of the plants. Sometimes I think about downsizing my collection, but it always seems to grow not get smaller. So sorry about the navel that died this winter. Are you sure it is totally dead? Sometimes they sprout again. You better wait awhile. Was it t the edge of the greenhouse touching the glass and got frozen? Or was it bugs that got it? Maybe you missed Watering it? I am waiting for my Wm Murcott Afourer to make a comeback for monthsmonths now, but not a sign of life yet. That was one that got dry when the greenhouse heated up too high last fall while I was away. I think if it does sprout it would be rootstock though as the die back is now almost to the graft.

I got the cool plants back on the cellar staircase, and then had the hardest time fitting back the makeshift frame I use to hold the bubble wrap "ceiling". I got it back correctly the first time but had to dissemble it as I found my brother locked me out of the house and the only way in was By Way Of The cellar stairs. Then, I just couldn'tcouldn't get it back right. I finally thought it was ok, but when I went to close the cellar dyboors tonight, they wouldn'twouldn't close. So I had to take it all apart again! Finally I realized I was fitting the frame ends through the wrong slot I had made. Once I got that right it went together pretty easily, but I was tired by then as it was an awkward position to get it in and I still had to cook dinner.

M

Mike, it looks like no celebratory drinks tomorrow. 2-5" of snow are forecast for tomorrow. Fortunately we didn'tdidn't get anything but flurries On Monday. I hope we are lucky again. My back is still aching from all the snow I shoveled this winter and my better snow shovel broke completely off. Mother nature is trying to get in her last licks of winter I guess even though it is the first day of spring. At least I got to see most of my lawn for a day. My bushes are still covered and squashed by snow yet too. They always seem to mostly survive and make a comeback though.

Maggy, the trip plans are shaping up nicely. I would love to see all those citrus described in the brochures on the links you sent us.

Got to sleep now before I fall over.

Cory

• maggyby
    9 years ago

Laura, I repotted all of mine in bigger pots .if some of the roots don't look good you can prune them. And soak .Take a picture of the roots and post it. Brian and Mike are the ones to give you expertise advise so if they see it they will know what to do. I am getting so excited about getting the trees out soon. Have a great day. Maggy

• Newtster
    9 years ago

I know what you mean, I love having them in the greenhouse but it's nice to have them out enjoying the warmth and nice breezes. Have a great day too!!!

Laura

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Hi gang 40 minutes to spring , already started toasting . Everybody raise your glass and welcome spring 2015 Ya Hoooo.

Brian

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    9 years ago

Happy Spring everyone!

Cory

• maggyby
    9 years ago

Brian, cheers! . Just came in from walking the dogs. It is cold for spring. I started my search for a ponderosa. Had a busy day, went to physio ( did I tell you the dog ate my physio exercise sheet.) ,went to look for new eye glasses. Unfortunately I like the silhoutte glasses which are the most expensive. Happy spring. It is official. Brian I had an email from the citrus orchard in Portugal and they will take us in a private your of their orchard,show us their production ,explain all their growing conditions and let you pick as much fruit as you want and take it with you. I will send pictures awesome. Are you getting you new greenhouse this week end. You must be so excited. Bet you can hardly wait. I had asked you if are putting it together but you didn't say. Laura has some questions about repotting her tree tomorrow . I didn't want to give her bad advise but thought you could give her better direction. Another toast. Have a great week - end my dear friend. Maggy

• maggyby
    9 years ago

Cory, Happy spring to you too.

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    9 years ago

Thanks Maggy.

• maggyby
    9 years ago

Cory, I bet it doesn't feel like spring with snow . How is the stove. ? Have you used it yet? Maggy

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Hi Maggy Sugar is barking at me for his walk . When it's time for the walk they can be very relentless lol., you know . How is the shoulder ? It sounds like the physio is helping a lot . Good your going to have to have that shoulder in good shape when you put up my GH . Don't worry it will only take you a few days. Actually I am hoping my brother in law will help out , he is such a handy man and smart . Maggy I am getting more jealous everyday . That trip to the orchard sounds like it's going to be so much fun !!! . We had an orchard near our condo in Florida many years ago , I miss those days . I hope your going to be there when the trees are in bloom but being that your going in May probably not likely , here's to hoping . Maggy you know i am the last person to help with repotting. I do things so differently , me bigger is better . I always repot in huge pots the width of the GH door . I figure that I am saving myself alot of work with repotting every year . I never put my trees in the shade after repotting either , I have never had one die on me . Actually they usually catch very quickly in their new pots . I am going to repot some of my trees this year in huge pots now that I will have a double door entrance should be fun. Poor Cory not only a snowstorm but she was locked out of here home talk about bad luck and I wish i had been a fly on here door can you imagine all the mean things she was saying lol. When bad things happen to good people . Cory you should get one of those pop up GH for the basement . Not sure if they come in a decent size though .Cory did you finally get your snow blower repaired ? Speaking of snow how much did you get today Cory ? Mikey Super doper happy spring to you buddy . Are you guy's getting snowed on today ? Well the sun is on the north side of the equator now things are looking up . Hi Laura happy spring to you too . But I think your spring started in January your probably already bored with it . Good luck my friend with the repotting . If I was a guessing man I think your going to find the roots in pretty good shape . The only thing I could think of that's going wrong is that the soil at the very bottom of the pot is not draining properly . If you see very heavy mud like soil saturated in water then you will have to change the soil all of it at least that's what I would do . You guys realize Steve and Trace are going to be very mad at us still posting in bugs 16 sorry guy's we will shift over one of these months . Happy spring Steve and Trace . XOXO everyone .

Brian

• Newtster
    9 years ago

Happy Spring Everyone!!!!! Cory, I am sorry you are getting snow!!!!! Maggy, you are so lucky you are going on a trip and a private tour, how fabulous!!! Brian, i am all set to replace all the soil in the pot and go with the 5-1-1 mix. I hope you are right and I find good roots!! All I can do is my best and hope it does ok!!! I will let you know tomorrow how it goes! Everyone have a wonderful Spring!!!!

Laura

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Hi Laura happy Friday . You are so right when you say all I can do is my best that's my philosophy I try to give them a good home I do everything I can to make them comfortable . Usually when something goes wrong it's usually something very easy that can be fixed . I am like yourself always checking my trees out day and night and quickly I will know when something is going wrong . I never hesitate to check it out . I love trying to figure out what the problem is and I love when I have solved the problem. Most of the time it's a soil problem . Last year I did not hesitate to repot a few of my trees a couple of times in 2 months . I repotted last year at the end of May come July nothing was happening with the trees no flowers when there should be flowers and the green wasn't vibrant so I repotted , within a couple of days I saw the difference they became much more green and a week after that they started to flower and new growth started to appear what a relief . Repotting finally fixed the problem I was having . Don't be afraid to dive in when there are signs . Citrus trees are pretty aggressive grower's so if the soil is not working out for you try something else or try a new fertilizer or try a different size of pot . I bought a small Kishu tree last July it's small wait until you see the size of the pot I will be putting it in this spring and I know it won't take long before it fills in the pot . Have fun with it tomorrow Laura it's such a great hobby . Big hugs my friend keep us posted

Brian

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

A small P's Laura when I say I repotted I used new soil I didn't explain that very good sorry . I wish i could be there to help out .

Brian

• Newtster
    9 years ago

Hi Brian, thank you!! I will have fun and hopeful that it turns out well. I know it has a problem but it has such good color so I don't think it is done with me yet!! It knows I love it so it will try hard too!! Can I ask you, what is the purpose of soaking it in water for awhile before repotting?

I too wish you were here!! It would be less stressful and we would have a lot of fun, I'm sure!! I have a feeling you would teach me everything I need to know about citrus, but hey, you are doing that already!!!

I'll let you know tomorrow afternoon!!!

Good night, my friend!!!

Laura

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    9 years ago

Yes, it has been snowing all day and it is still snowing now at midnight. It is about 5 or 6 inches I think. I didn'tdidn't go out. It is supposed to be 50°F tomorrow, so it probably will not last long. I hope it is gone by the time I wake up tomorrow. No such luck though. Brian, it's good you weren'weren't a fly on my door or your ears would be burning I was so frustrated. It probably took me so long to get it back together as punishment for those mean thoughts. Maggy, are you still using the "dog ate it" excuse? Did you get away with it? I didn"tdidn't like doing those therapy exercises either, especially rolling that huge ball on the wall at shoulder level. What a killer! But I am glad to hear you are recovering so quickly.

Yes, I have been using the new stove and oven, but I am being very careful not to get it dirty yet. It is so pretty being brand new. I have only used the top oven so far, and that one doesn'tdoesn't have convection, although it is self-cself-cleaning. Even though it is a smaller oven it is quite large, and probably as much area as my 75 year old one. I haven'thaven't needed the large one yet. The chicken and salmon easily fit in the small upper oven. I haven'thaven't tried the griddle yet either, but have used all the other burners. It has a 3-r3-ring power burner which boils a large amount of water very quickly. They all simmer, but one is especially for simmering. I plan to roast beef tomorrow. It is very sturdy, which I am glad as many in the stores looked pretty flimsy to me. It'sIt's nice not to have to get out the scripto or a match to light the oven each time. My brother misses the pilot on top. He used to brew his oatmeal on that overnight. He doesn'tdoesn't like it cooked in a pot. So now he needs to find a new way to make it. He would pour boiling water over it, place the bowl in the center of the cook top area above the pilot and leave it overnight to slowly ferment. He has made it that way for years. He is quite disappointed about that.

Brian, I was afraid to put my trees in so large a pot, but maybe that is what they need. I will check out their roots once it is warm enough to take them outside to work on them. Not enough room in the greenhouse. Are you still seeing the aurora borealis? I have never seen it. Today was supposed to be a super moon which affects the tides. I am worried it may cause the ocean to break through to the street again, especially as there is still no protective sand dune yet. There is a new and a full supermoon, and an eclipse which cannot be seen in my area. This time it is a new moon supermoon, so nothing really to view. Because it is snowing, even if it were a full moon I wouldn'twouldn't probably be able to see anything as the snow is pretty heavy. It has been snowing so many hours, it could have been worse though....deeper.

Sorry I am still stuttering when I type. I can'tcan't fix it either. Luckily I am not cursing as I notice other posters are. It seems like every time I use an apostrophe, it doubles the word. Other peoplpeople'sPeoplpeople's Posts Come With *&#! On each side of the apostrophe. This also has a habit of capitalizing the first letter of every word at times too. I just have no control over it. Funny you all don'tdon't seem to have these problems. My pictures still often come out sidewise too....not all but most. I take them all the same way too. There are still many quirks with this site. I always have to hit the submit button twice or it will not post. Inserting a link is almost impossible. When I want to paste the link, I have to keep chasing the posting spot around the screen before I finally get to touch the spot. When I finally get to it often the paste scommand no longer appears and I have to start over. The worst is when the page freezes and I have to start all over again. It can be very frustrating and I would have given up if it weren'tweren't for the nice friends here.

Have a good night and weekend everyone.

Cory

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    9 years ago

I meant to ask, do you get notifications that there are new posts anymore? I don'tdon't even though I have selected that option.

Cory

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Hi Laura the big day has arrived lol . Laura I have never soaked my roots . When I take the plant out of the pot I will shake up the roots a bit this is very important . I like to see some of the main roots at the bottom hanging straight down and I like to see the some of the side root hanging from the side of the root ball . Then I wet the roots with the hose . Laura I always repot over my lawn because I am so messy . Then I start to fill my pot with the new potting soil maybe a third of the way up then I pick the pot up and tap it 5 or 7 times on the ground and these are good taps . After this I place the tree into the middle of the pot making sure it's straight and start filling with soil around the sides pushing the soil down but gently because you don't want to damage the roots . After when the whole pot is filled I pick the pot up and give it some more good taps on the ground your husband can help you with this although it shouldn't be extremely heavy yet because you haven't watered . Then I sprinkle a very small amount of miracle grow on the soil an then i water and water and water a real good soak and place it back in it's place back in the sun . Laura I have never placed them in the shade after repotting never never had a problem maybe my sunshine is not as strong as everyone else's lol. Talk to you later have a good time big hug. Cory your hilarious so if I had been a fly I would have had to have had my mouth washed out with soap Tooooo ? The only problem I am having is when I am backing up to correct something it goes to CAPITAL'S and it just won't come off !! , frustrating . What device do you post from? I use my samsung phone .Wow that's a lot of snow triple Yuk . It's snowing here this morning but it's supposed to change too rain then drop down to zero tonight with a wind chill of minus ten what's up with this ? So glad that your loving your new stove . It would be so nice if stoves came with a rotisserie maybe it's a danger thing .. Cory I just hate having to repot every year that's why I will start them off in the spring in a much larger pot . If you use good potting soil you won't have to worry about it rotting so go big try it . If your afraid try on one of your least favorite's lol. Hugs my friend enjoy your Saturday and don't get locked out again my ears can't take it lol.

Brian

• maggyby
    9 years ago

Cory, your new stove sounds really nice. I like the simmer burner but would be too hot overnight for your brother's oatmeal. I saw a recipe to cook oatmeal overnight in the slow cooker.It must have been hard to part with your old stove after having it so long. I have not had the trouble with this site lately .i am using my iPad and am getting notifications. Could it be your phone settings. Mine get changed sometimes for no reason.

Laura, good luck with your repotting today. Be sure to send us pictures. Show us what the roots look like..I soak my roots if I am using 5-1-1 mix to get off all the soil stuck in there and it plumps the roots up .but it is a personal preference, as Brian pointed out. Eventually we all find what works for us.I had a lot of questions when I .repotted my first one. Brian and Mike both have gorgeous trees and are experts in growing citrus.

Brian is this the big day you are getting your new greenhouse. Wait, I will get my tool box and be right over to set it up. I am very happy for you and can only imagine how excited you will be . Will you keep the old one? Think of all the new trees you can grow. I bet you will have it full in no time. We want to see pictures ......did you enjoy your first day of spring.? I know what you mean abour sugar barking for his walk. Teddy puts his head back and hoots and dances like he is coming out of his skin. Rick is starting taxes today so our dinning room table if full of boxes and papers until May 1 St.

Mike how are you today? . It was so nice to talk to you last night . (And Mom.) thank you for the nice conversation and your thoughtfulness. And Mom has a great sense of humour. I was so surprised to learn she has Canadian ( Maritime ) roots .Mike I am amazed that you can grow citrus with so little warm months .We have at least 6 months where it is warm enough for the trees to be outside.I was hoping to leave my trees in the greenhouse while I am away and didn't realize if it got too hot they could die. I don't think my sunroom will work because it would be hard for my friend to water them. Maybe I will have to take a chance and put then outside. Our last frost date is April 24 th .and we leave May 9 Th .

Trace haven't heard much from you. Hope all is well. Maybe you are cruising around in that new car. We do have to more over to the new Bugs thread. I know I am lazy and didn't want to have to go back and forth to read posts but this is getting too big. Take care

Have a great day everyone. Last night I was dreaming of that orchard in Portugal and walking through the trees with all the blossoms. Maggy

• Newtster
    9 years ago

Hi Maggy and Brian, thanks!!! Is it weird that I'm nervous about this? ;) my soil mix is prepared and ready to go!! I'm just waiting for my husband to get home and we can begin! I went to the nursery today and guess what? I bought another dwarf grapefruit. I couldn't help myself, it was calling my name plus I guess I'm just a gluten for punishment! ;) I hope everyone is having a wonderful Saturday!!!!!

Laura

Xoxo

• maggyby
    9 years ago

Laura, I can understand being nervous but it will be fine. I repotted 14 trees last year and every single one is still alive. Even one that I rescued from Home Depot that was on it's last legs. Every one except the limequat is blooming. I was just in the greenhouse this afternoon and it smells so nice.i have an also spice tree, a bay leaf ,lemon bay rum trees and Rosemary that all survived the winter. Good for you for getting another tree. I might get a gratefruit tree if I can find one. Waiting to see pictures. Go for it. Maggy

• Newtster
    9 years ago

;) ;) ;)

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Hi Laura congrats on the new addition . Is it the same variety of grapefruit ? Maggy is so right I forgot that your planting in the 511 mix . Follow Maggy's directions . I use just potting soil . Sooo waiting to see pics . Maggy how is your day going ? Thanks for your generous offer I am sure you would have that GH up before I could no joke , your quit the lady . We have to go for groceries now in a blinding snow just lovely . If the snow stops latter I will attempt to cook some nice striploin steak's on the BBQ yummy . Have a great Saturday guy's . XOXO

Brian

• maggyby
    9 years ago

Brian, I assume you are not getting your greenhouse today. I will put my toolbox away. What do you mean, a blinding snow storm.? Geeez it is raining here. And you are going to BBQ in the snow. My day is going well.Rick is doing taxes and I am playing. Watered and fed all my orchids. I haven't killed your "twinkle" yet. But I did kill the clove trees. Let them get two dry. I will grow more this year. Brian i can't believe how much the trees in the greenhouse are growing. It seems like they were asleep and suddnely woke up. Everything is blooming and lots of new growth. I can understand Laura's apprehension. Remember last year when I asked you so many questions. Do you have a gratefruit tree? If so did it set fruit. I was under the impression that our season is too short but after hearing about the beautiful flowers I have it in my gave to have list. I do have a tangelo tree but not sure what kind. It has lots of blooms but the leaves are pale . Hope you have a great Sat. My friend. Maggy

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Hi Maggy please take pics of your tree's again I would love to see them !!!. Yep it's safe to put away your tool box your hilarious I had a big laugh . It snowed about 3 inches of that heavy stuff . Now the wind the tree's are really swinging just got out of the shower I think that I am going to have to go back up and apply some more hairspray lol. That's to bad about the clove tree's were they in the GH too ? Maggy I would stay away from grapefruit our summer seasons are just not long enough at least mine aren't . I tried 3 times and all of them failed . Do you have a minneola tangelo I sooooo highly recommend one of those . My tree is growing crazy and full of fruit and flowers and the fruit are amazing ? Is your neighbor going to take care of your GH while your gone ? Do they sell souvenir citrus in Portugal that your allowed to bring back for yourself ? Well off to the grocery store now i hope the my hair stays on my head. Have a terrific Saturday afternoon! !!

Brian

• Newtster
    9 years ago

Hi Maggy and Brian, so here is what I found. The rootball had not changed in size since I repotted a year ago and there are no white roots. They are all gold and brown. There were no roots along the sides and in no way was it potbound. However, the dirt inside the root ball was like cement, we had to really work to get it out and we had to soak it. When I repotted last year, I did not barefoot it, so it's been like this all this time. So we barerooted it and repotted. Another thing I learned is that I was sip watering all this time. The 5-1-1 mix is awesome. Now the tree is a bit wilty but it looks like it does when it was in the sun for awhile. And the wind is blowing hard so we will put him in the GH tonight. That was very invasive, I had no idea you could do that. I did everything you suggested so now I wait and see. What should I expect in the next couple of days? Anything special I should or should not do? Thanks so much, again!!! You guys are awesome and so wonderful!!!

Laura

Xoxo

• Newtster
    9 years ago

Hi again, I'll post pictures later , this ste won't let me post with my iPad. ;(

• maggyby
    9 years ago

Hi Laura . I post all my pictures from my iPad. Are you going to your photo's and posting from there. Sounds like your tree was not getting water and nutrients. That is why I soak , it gets rid of all the old soil . mine always look a bit sad for a few days but they always perk up. Yes, I think the 5- 1- -1 mix is awesome. Thanks to Mike I have almost all of mine in the 5-1-1 .I actually have to repot two when it gets warmer. Hopefully Mike or Brian will comment. Maggy

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

Here is a link to bugs 17. Our church fragmentred. I don't want bugs to fragment

http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/2925898/bugs-17?n=9

• Newtster
    9 years ago

Thanks Maggy. I'll try again to post. I go to the pictures but it never loads. Have a great night, Maggy!!

• Newtster
    9 years ago

Hi Maggy, I just tried the pictures but the little green circle just keeps spinning and they don't load. ;(

• maggyby
    9 years ago

Brain, how is your hair? You are so funny. My clove trees were in the house and I got the seeds from a lady in Hawaii . I grew them from seed to little plants and all 12 were doing well. I had them in the window but the heater was underneath. I think I can't get more seeds until Oct/ Nov. What a shame . I was upset. I think I may have missed watering them and they dried out. I don't have a minneole tangelo . I think it is a tango that I have so will put it on the list with my ponderosa. Too bad about the gratefruit not growing but I thought we just might have too short a season. I will take pictures again of the trees. Did you cook your steak? Yummy. I am not cooking today. Having wings from yesterday. Did you see Laura's post. Sounds like the tree needed to be repotted for sure. I have a question. Can I repot a tree that is in flower and/ or has set fruit ,when it is warmer of course. Hope you are having a good Sat. Maggy

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource