SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annaw_123

Help with Pass-Through

annaw_123
9 years ago

We have a pass-through between the great room and the kitchen in our new (to us) house. It's has a laminate countertop.

I don't see us using it as a breakfast bar. The floor is carpet and I've got little kids so I would worry about spills/crumbs and the height of bar wouldn't work for us. I don't think it's deep enough now to sit at comfortably without banging your knees on the wall.

We're going to put either granite or quartz on the kitchen cabinets. My estimate of the cost of replacing the laminate in the pass-through with granite or quartz is t least about $700. And I suspect if we wanted to use it as a breakfast bar, we'd need to make it deeper so it was more comfortable to sit at.

Since we don't plan to use it as a breakfast bar now and don't plan to use it to pass food through to the great room (we eat in the kitchen), it's real purpose is to open up the kitchen to the great room. So is there a cheaper alternative to putting down a countertop so it looks pretty?

Could I replace the formica with wood which I would paint to match the trim?

What about painting it to match the trim?

Here are some pictures. Forgive the clutter. We've just moved in and are rearranging the kitchen and stuff keeps getting set here to get it out of the way.

Comments (11)