SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bobby_cooper36

HELP!..Possible Indoor Pepper growing probz!

Bobby Cooper
9 years ago

I have a few questions regarding my pepper plants at this stage of my indoor growth. A little over a month ago I planted jalapeno, banana pepper, red pepper and serrano peppers in my basement under a t5 50 watt florescent bulb. This is my first time trying to grow anything and so far it seems like they are doing pretty well. I've read a lot about different types of light and the right temp regulation, especially when using fluorescent light but I have a couple of concerns that I can't really find an answer to by searching other forums. I notice that some of my plants (mainly the serrano) have multiple stems that have sprouted up from the soil which you can see in one of the pictures. Is that normal? I feel like all of the pictures I've seen on other forums show just one stem coming up from the soil. The other main concern of mine is that I have noticed that a few of my plants have leaves that have turned almost completely dark brownish. That definitely doesn't seem normal. I just replaced my original single florescent blub with a 250 watt, 6400k CFL with reflective hood and I cannot tell if I've packed too many plants under a single light. I ordered a roll of mylar which I plan on making a mini fence with so I'm taking advantage of all the angles of light reflection. I don't know how close I need to keep the light to the plants at this point..Some plants are growing way faster than others. I know I need to make sure they are not too close because that light is really hot but I know I need to keep it close enough for the plants to absorb the light. My basement stays pretty cool as I live in Michigan and its winter time.. I have a mini fan a couple of feet away that blows in the direction of the grow area and my light is on a timer that keeps it on for 16 hrs a day. The last thing I'm concerned about is leaving the plants unattended for a week...I am going to be gone for a week and I wanted to find out if anyone has any cheap n easy best practices to ensure the plants get watered throughout that time. I don't have anyone that can do it for me and I don't really want to buy anything expensive for that and I realize that I should have thought of that when I originally made the decision to plant in soil instead of hydroponically. Any ideas, suggestions and best practices would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!!

Comments (2)