SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seb225

Help my kitchen layout, please

seb225
9 years ago

I have gleaned much from these forums, but need more help for my upcoming remodel. I have an early 90's single story ranch, 2400sf, kitchen and breakfast area are one large room. The breakfast area is the main dining area because the formal dining room is used as a home office. We have no plans for resale in the next few years, at least.

The current kitchen has a large peninsula with seating, and a very small 2'x3' island with drawers. The breakfast area has a small, 5.5' wet bar on the wall that backs up to the garage. We do not use it as a wet bar; it's mostly used as storage.

The front door is seldom used; most activity is through the side door and garage. We are a casual family of 5 (two teens, one child) and there is lots of activity in the kitchen. I do most of the cooking, but there is often someone helping. The current layout always gives me the sensation of making circles around the island because there's essentially only main entrance into the kitchen.

My initial thoughts are to remove the peninsula, create a cooking wall with a large range where the current cooking area is located and build a longer island that allows two entrances into the kitchen area. I can make the corner sink base slightly smaller since I plan to go from a 33" double sink to a 30" single bowl (I think that means a 42" corner sink base). I'll also be getting a CD refrigerator, either FD or SxS, either 36" or 42". All cabinetry, appliances, counters, and fixtures are being replaced.

My constraints for rearranging are that the home is on a post tension slab, so I'm unable to make large changes to plumbing or electrical. The island has electricity now, and the cooking wall has a gas line already there. All plumbing is on the wall with the refrigerator.

Does anyone have any ideas for me? I've thought about it so much I'm exhausted!

Current layout:

Home floorplan, not to scale but gives room positions:

Comments (8)