Houzz Logo Print
leilahamaya

Adopt-A-Newbie ongoing list 5

leila hamaya
9 years ago

Adopt-A-Newbie ongoing list 5

we came from here: Adopt-A-Newbie ongoing list 4

Newbies & New Sponsors:

Please read the directions. We will not list you if you are missing things.

Newbies, might you like a little help getting started growing and trading seeds?

Brand new, hoping for more garden variety, needing a boost after a garden or financial loss, or just want a little advice?

Veterans, do you have extra seed that could help a new gardener-trader get started? From accidental over-harvesting, buying enough commercial seed for varieties' sake, or because you just want to help others grow?

Newbies are newbies if they are:

1) truly new to Gardenweb, OR

2) are not new to GW but new to trading and seeds, OR

3) could really use help with seed access for any reason.

Adopters can adopt whomever they please, and so can select according to their own wishes and criteria.

Newbie Adoptees:

Pre-adoption procedure

--Your messaging settings must be correct on your profile page in order to be put on the list. Make sure your email setting is correct (see link below in the next post).

--Make sure you have things listed on your Want List (see link), so we know if we have things in your interests. You can list, for example, Black Hollyhocks, Hollyhocks, or Old Fashioned/Cottage type flowers, or Things for shade or perennials, and such. (specific or general, anything that helps someone match to you)

--Include both your zone & state in your profile page (there is a special trick to this - see link/note in next post below).

Costs to the newbie adoptee:

--Pay the postage to the person sending them seeds (or plants) in advance.--'Seeds only' adopts are the easiest and cheapest postage at about $1.50+bubble envelope to $4.00 and bubble envie/other protection included by the veteran.

--'Plants too' adopts are usually Priority Mail and may cost about $5 to $14 depending on size.--Postage payment options include paypal, stamps, check, money order.

When you are contacted for adoption:

--Check back here to confirm you have been adopted.

--Arrange postage costs and gift details with your adopter.

--Send postage to your adopter.

--After receiving the seed package, thank your adopter & post here too (so we know the adopt worked through).

--Post good feedback/thanks for your adopter on the Rate and Review forum.

Sponsors who want to adopt:

--Standard amount for an adoption = 10 packs of seeds, more if you would like. Seeds are the focus, though you can contribute plants too if the timing is zone-appropriate.

--Try to pick a newbie that matches your zone / climate/ interests

--Post here and claim your newbie, so we know who has been adopted.

--If you can, post here when you receive the postage and send the newbie their new seeds. Otherwise let them know that you have mailed, so they know when to look forward to your package.

--enjoy your awesomeness, and the good feelings that come from generosity =) after all - what goes around comes around, right?

Comments (246)

• Cheryl
    8 years ago

I'm new to the forum and I would love to be considered as an adoptee. I live in zone 5 in the very southern part of Wisconsin. I love gardening and have grown many types of flowers, herbs and vegetables although I have lived in a townhouse for a few years now and everything I've grown has been container grown. This month I am moving to a new home with a beautiful partially shaded yard (a rather large one actually). I would love to be able to start filling the already started flower beds surrounding the yard edge and there is endless potential to the area but my funding available is quite limited. Anyone who would be willing to help me start this inspiring project would be appreciated! I started a wish list and am open to any seeds or plants that love shade to partial shade.

• Kelsen
    8 years ago

I Joined the form yesterday and have never traded I'm a newbie. :)

I'm in zone 6.

The seeds I would be interested in are: Heirloom Vegetables of any kind, Bitter Melon, Mexican Gherkin, Serpent Melon, Armenian Cucumber, Banana Melon, Corn,

Rich Sweetness 132 Melon, Purple Cherry Tomatoes, Glass Ball Watermelon,

Carolina Reaper Or Ghost Chili pepper seeds, Black Winter Melon,

Thai Musk Melon Golden Round, Golden Midget Watermelon,

Noir des Carmes Melon, And any other melons.

I would love to be adopted thanks!

• Related Discussions

HAVE: Adopt-A-Newbie ongoing list (group maintained list)

Q

Comments (150)
    I've poked around many, many a day on the forums here, and finally made an account today. I would love to get an herb garden started this year. My interests are in tea and medicinal herbs, succulents and cacti, and trees. However, more than anything I enjoy surprises- so add "random/grab bag/any" to the list, too! I prefer indoor planting / potted planting, if this makes a difference. (But, I'm up for anything!) Sad story time: When I was about 11, I had to move across the country about 2 months after I had 3 tiny maple trees start growing in a long trough-like pencil holder in my windowsill. My parents said I couldn't take them with us, even though I said I would hold them in my lap the entire way there (in the car!) I loved my "tiny trees". I planted them in my favorite hiding spot, but when I moved back to the area, construction had destroyed where I planted them. Ever since then, I've wanted to grow more trees but just can't seem to get them going... :( But, that hasn't stopped me from trying!! Therefore, I am also looking for tips, advice, and suggestions on how to plant and maintain any seeds or plants provided me. Thank you so much for considering me!! This post was edited by Cirrus on Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 22:56
    ...See More

Suggestions To Make This Forum Better

Q

Comments (177)
    Feel free to message me (click on my name and then on the message button in the upper right corner) if you have specific questions. One thing you might want to do if you will be posting much in the GardenWeb side of Houzz is to add your growing zone and general location to your profile so that it posts by your name each time you post. That will help folks share advice appropriate to your area. Here's how: Go to Your Houzz in the upper right of every page, click Edit Profile, and on the left side click advanced settings. Well down the advanced settings page is a blank labeled Climate Zone for Garden Forums along with a link to find your zone. If you add info on your state or the nearest large city either here or on the profile page under the name posted, you will get even better information since zone only relates to average coldest winter temperatures. Then return to the top of the page and click Done Editing.
    ...See More

Leila Hamaya (Adopt a Newbie ongoing post 5)

Q

Comments (0)
    Leila Adopted me last week and sent me the most amazing starter kit for a vegetable and herb garden. She took careful thought and preparation to give me all of the things I was hoping for on my wish list. She even included lots of bonuses based on likes I had mentioned. I really cannot thank her enough for her kind generosity. If you're ever able to trade with Leila DO IT!!!!
    ...See More

Veggie Seed People Please Help

Q

Comments (2)
    The concept sounds good, but I would prefer to know exactly what the variety of the seeds are. as a market gardener I can't afford mid season surprises.
    ...See More
  • leila hamaya
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

time for an updated list

heres our current list......

Current Newbies to be Adopted:

Zone 2-3:

Zone 4:

Andrea prodzinski (4) MN (bulbs, ground cover, cut flowers, outdoor cuttings, succulents)

Zone 5:

juliameli Z 5a (new to gardening, looking for ANY veggie seeds)

Zone 6:

Katjaqu z6 (heirloom edibles, seed bank, plants to support wildlife)

gabby811 z6 (unusual plants, container/indoor gardening, flowers)

Tiffany Cox Z6b (edibles, colorful food, medicinal and tea herbs)

Amanda Yono z6 indiana (herbs, veggies, colorful/ funky varieties, gardening with kids)

ahall0524 z6b (tomatoes, sweet peppers, squash, melons, herbs, etc.)

dancinmamabear z6 (unusual/exotic plants)

Christy Paino z6b (herbs - saffron, chamomile, mint, tea herbs, Tomatoes, medicinal herbs,
    hot peppers)

Zone 7:

Rhonda Mcdaniel z 7 (shade plants, flower gardens, veg and herb)

Tabitha thompson z6/7 (edibles, all herbs, veggies, fruits, flowers)

Zone 8:

scuba_steve81 z 8b (hot peppers, interesting edibles, herb & tea garden)

Zone 9-10:

Jessica Lynn z9 (LANTANA, shrubs and vines, edibles, see want list)

Kristi H z9 (Any advice on humming birds, lavender, hibiscus apple trees)

* click on the user names to see their member page, or earlier in the thread for their full want list.

• Kelsen
    8 years ago

Thanks for adding me to list but now who adopts me? and when will I get seeds?

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
    8 years ago

I sent messages to:

sarcastichousewife 4b WI (colorful/heirloom veggies, tomatoes, cottage/prairie/native midwest plants)

Catherine Parker z4 Minnesota ( general wants )

Cheryl Z 5 Wi ( new yard, herbs, veggies, flowers, see wish list)

If you're not finding those emails let me know. I'm ready to give away seeds!

Heidi

8 years ago

ksmtornado Z6. It all depends on when someone picks you. For example, I'd adopt you except I have mostly flowers and you seem to want veggies and edibles. 1. Someone selects you and emails you through Houzz (so make sure messaging is turned on). 2. You reply to their email. 3. The Adopter provides their address. 4. You send your self-addressed stamped bubble envelope to the address they provide. 5. They receive your envelope, put seeds inside and mail it back to you. 6. When you receive it you do "The Seed Dance" around the living room and then you post on this thread that you received seeds. Warning: This is very addictive, but it's a good addictive. You're not gambling, drinking or doing anything illegal and you get summer tomatoes! Welcome aboard!

Heidi

P.S. If you want flower seeds let me know. Message me and we'll get something worked out.

• Carolyne Euritt
    8 years ago

I added myself to this list almost two weeks ago and still have not heard from anyone... I'm in zone 8 and am starting a vegetable and herb garden that my visually impaired daughter will be helping with as a learning activity. I could use a mentor!

• Cheryl
    8 years ago

I responded to xiangirl with her gracious offer for adoption. I'll be sending out bubble envelope and postage today. Thank you Heidi!

• val (MA z6)
    8 years ago

Carolyne, I hear you, but like Heidi, I am much more a flower grower than veggies and herbs, so this is why you and ksmtornado and perhaps others have not been adopted quickly...we need more adopters w/varied seed and experience! :o)

• Kelsen
    8 years ago

Yes. :)

• leila hamaya
    Original Author
    8 years ago

good post heidi, thanks for being so generous =)

i would like to add that newbies may consider offering to pay the postage via paypal. it is quick, and it will make it quicker and less potential hassle for the adopter.

also many veterans already have a stack of bubbly envelopes to recycle, though not always, but one might want to ask. many will supply a recycled bubbly envelope for free, making the overall postage cost cheaper.

to ship out a bubbly as a newbie, you will be paying a slightly higher shipping cost both ways. i won't assume anything, but am suggesting many veterans will be willing to provide the bubbly.

you then would only need to send a mailing label, or piece of paper with your name and address written out, and the postage money or stamps. it is also helpful to include a note, clearly detailing the list of things you are most interested in.

• Kelsen
    8 years ago

Yes Leila That's A great Idea i need someone to adopt me soon :)

• Kelsen
    8 years ago

My list is: http://www.houzz.com/gardenWebTradeList/user/ksmtornado

Thanks to anyone who adopts me. :)

• leila hamaya
    Original Author
    8 years ago

proving that the persistent bird gets the worm =P i would like to adopt ksmtornado.

your list is really specific, but i have some similar things i can share. heirloom tomatoes, melons of various types. and whatever i send that you dont want, just use it to trade.

sending a message now.

• canyonwind
    8 years ago

Just an update....Shain Harrison and I have been in contact!!

Carolyne Euritt, I checked out your list and have a few things you might want. Possibly, there are more things you are interested in that I do have but are not on your list. I gather you are not interested in flowers? I will email you in the next day or two....or you can message me via HOUZZ with any additional wants that you have not mentioned. I have guests in town so am a little tight on time right now.

Carolyne and others that wish to be adopted....some times it can take quite a while to be adopted, so do not think you have been forgotten or ignored...LOL. Personally, I normally do not adopt anyone during the Summer months. I do most of my adopting from October through May....but mostly in the Spring. I am to busy during the Summer. As well, I save alot of flower and vegetable seeds from my own garden and they simply are not ready to pass on. I have a long growing season here in Southern California. I buy alot of seeds from online vendors but do that in October/November. So right now, I do not have as much to give away. And as Val mentioned, adopters look at your want lists. Some gardeners here only do flowers and some only do vegetables. And if an adopter does not have what you are interested in, obviously you will not hear from them.......so hang in there!!

Happy Tuesday!!

Annie

• EricaBraun
    8 years ago

Leila & Potential Adoptees -- Great comment about having the newbies send their postage via paypal. I recently adopted Kim Wieghat. She sent her postage via paypal right away, along with a Houzz message with her address. From the time I adopted her, to the time I sent her pack of seeds in the mail, it was probably around 48 hours. That was a super fast turn around. Not only was Kim able to get the seeds faster, but, as the adopter, I didn't have the wait hanging over my head.

• leila hamaya
    Original Author
    8 years ago

yeah totally erica.

because my newbie - ksmtornado responded right away, and paid postage with paypal, her envelope went out in the mail this morning =) that was like...just over twenty four hours!

much as we can enjoy doing this for people, when it drags on it can kinda be weird. like a little portion of mental space will be occupied by getting this done, and if the newbie does not send postage eventually, thats the worst. so getting the postage fast works out well for everybody.

cause theres like something tugging at the sleeve of our minds, and it never happens. thats only happened to me a couple of times, and eventually i consider it a done thing...like after a couple of weeks. most of my newbies have been awesome, responding quickly and following through.

then again the tried and true sase is good too, some people like to send snail mail, send a card and maybe even a small gift along with their sase, and that is great and nice too. who doesnt love getting mail? but all in all i like doing the paypal thing, cause i can just get it done quick.

and as far as criteria for adopting, well it is different for everyone. thats why we need different types of people participating, i have a kinda weird interest in feral edibles, weeds (not that many gardeners appreciate this stuffs), and fruit, so i would gravitate towards anyone interested in that. i look for people who are interested in growing their own food, and may have some preference for those on a tight budget, since thats familiar to me and i am concerned about the issue of food justice, and equal accessibility to nutritious food. also i would rather adopt someone who is more likely to stick around and keep sharing with us, to bring them "into our fold" as it is.... that may be one of my main criteria for adopting.

but besides all that it comes down to what i have available. like i wouldve maybe adopted carolyne, i did think about it, but she is looking for things that i am currently also looking for, as its time to plant up fall gardens. after a month or so...i will have done my planting and have extras and leftovers...but that also wont be the best time because it will be too late for her. ah anywho sorry if thats weird...just rambling...

hope you get adopted soon carolyne...

• Kelsen
    8 years ago

Hey Leila,

Just to let u know I'm a HE not a she ☺ I'm a guy not a girl.

No offence taken. Just letting u know

• EricaBraun
    8 years ago

Leila -- Lol @ "much as we can enjoy doing this for people, when it drags on it can
    kinda be weird. like a little portion of mental space will be occupied
    by getting this done, and if the newbie does not send postage
    eventually, thats the worst."

That's been my biggest issue. I've had bad luck with people actually following through. I still have baggies of seeds that I picked out for people sitting on my desk from months ago, from people I offered to adopt (risingcreek, dreamingofmygarden, Cathybt9), who never followed through.

• leila hamaya
    Original Author
    8 years ago

@ ksmtornado oops! ha, well...though many places may have a generally greater ratio of men to women, theres overwhelmingly more women in the garden web family =) so apologies, i so automatically assumed something wrong, that i didnt even notice. i had to reread what i wrote to figure out what i said...

and - i think you will enjoy your package, i stuffed it up real full =) found some good melons =)

and totally thats a drag erica. i've been there too, with stuff set aside for people that never came through. sigh, what can we do? after a few weeks of no response i just figure they didnt really want it, and just put them back in my stash.

• Kelsen
    8 years ago

Its OK Leila

• leila hamaya
    Original Author
    8 years ago

well your photo is rather gender neutral =P

but cute ears!

• Kelsen
    8 years ago

Its my dog max. :)

And on the envelope u sent me was there tracking?

• leila hamaya
    Original Author
    8 years ago

yeah there is, i already checked it..it's on its way.. i will send you the number ummmm...in a minute. gotta look it up.

• beth_b_kodiak
    8 years ago

Carolyne Euritt, if you are still waiting for an adopter, message me. I have a good bit of things you requested.... combo of cuttings and seed. Chances are you still have a good stretch of frost free weather left this season and can get a good start on your garden.

• User
    8 years ago

@ericabraun I just want to say thank you for my package of seeds, plants, I cant wait to get them planted ! Super fast shipping! Thank You again !, :)

• Tabitha thompson
    8 years ago

Hello everyone, I am Tabitha zone 6/7 in Oklahoma, Looking to be adopted. I have finally compiled a green house and land to plant. I am wanting to teach my children how to grow their own food and the benefits and rewards of gardening. I have recently had back surgery back in April for a slipped disc that nearly permanently paralyzed me so needless to say I didn't get to start this year. And I am still in recovery so working is not an option either so money is tight, my husband works oilfield which in Oklahoma is slowing down at the moment and that don't help either. I am wishing to have seeds ready for next spring when I will be able to plant again. I come from an old farm town and grew up with an extremely green thumb so I can grow anything. I am looking for fruits and veggies mostly to feed my family such as cucumbers, squash, peppers, tomatoes, beans, grapes, berries, cilantro, onions, melons, etc. I also am a firm believer in pay it forward because so many people have help me out in my times of need that not only do I grow for my family and wanting to teach my children but the extras go to the local food bank and those that could use a little extra help themselves . So anything would be appreciated and I would be deeply grateful! I wanted to thank you all in advance for your considerations, and let you know I think this is such a wonderful site!! I am new to this all the way around and hope I posted all that need to be posted.

• juliameli
    8 years ago

Newbie application. This year was my first year of gardening and it went pretty well. I started with one 6x12 box and proceeded to overcrowd it. I also have some containers that I maintain with my wife. Turns out I really enjoy gardening and the producing my own produce. Next year I plan on making a very significant expansion by building 4 more additional 4x10 garden beds and expanding my container plants. I'm also going to start my seedling inside, this year I purchased some of my small tomato plants.

I don't think I'm the biggest newbie since I've spent hours on this forum and online reading up on different gardening information. I have come to realize that most of what you learn is going to come from experience. If someone is willing, able and interested to adopt me and help me gets some a truly awesome garden going next year, it would be greatly appreciated. I promised to be the best student anyone could ask for :)

• Kelsen
    8 years ago

THANKS LEILA FOR THE GREAT SEEDS PLENTY OF MELONs! :)

• Richard Louis
    8 years ago

I am happy to be a part of this group and sharing of ideas and seeds. Keep up the wonderful work ladies and thank you for all that you do for all of us out here trying to get into gardening or get back into gardening!!! Always, Richard

• val (MA z6)
    8 years ago

juliameli,

I'm assuming that you are interested mostly in veggie seeds, is this correct? Would love to adopt a seasoned gardener but I'm into flowers. I'm probably not as seasoned as you, but have learned ALOT the past year and a half, and half the fun is learning by experience!

• leila hamaya
    Original Author
    8 years ago

heres our current list......

Current Newbies to be Adopted:

Zone 2-3:

Zone 4:

Andrea prodzinski (4) MN (bulbs, ground cover, cut flowers, outdoor cuttings, succulents)

Zone 5:

Zone 6:

Katjaqu z6 (heirloom edibles, seed bank, plants to support wildlife)

gabby811 z6 (unusual plants, container/indoor gardening, flowers)

ahall0524 z6b (tomatoes, sweet peppers, squash, melons, herbs, etc.)

dancinmamabear z6 (butterfly/hummingbird garden, shade plants, unusual/exotic plants)

Christy Paino z6b (herbs - saffron, chamomile, mint, tea herbs, Tomatoes, medicinal herbs,
    hot peppers)

Zone 7:

Zone 8:

scuba_steve81 z 8b (hot peppers, interesting edibles, herb & tea garden)

Zone 9-10:

Jessica Lynn z9 (LANTANA, shrubs and vines, edibles, see want list)

Kristi H z9 (Any advice on humming birds, lavender, hibiscus apple trees)

* click on the user names to see their member page, or earlier in the thread for their full want list.

• lexiegurl09
    8 years ago

Message sent to Tabitha and Julia!

8 years ago

Cheryl sent me her SASBE and I put it in the mail yesterday so she'll have seeds soon. Thanks for a smooth transaction.

WARNING-THIS MAY APPEAR BOSSY: If I step on your toes, I apologize. It seems to me that some of the Newbie want lists are very specific. I can accommodate several zones, butterfly gardening, cottage gardens, cut flower gardens, perennials, natives for my area. I mostly have generic flower SEEDS. I have a few generic veggie SEEDS. I'm not sure you're a newbie if you're looking for exotic and hard-to-find SEEDS, live plants, bulbs, etc. That's fine if that's what you want--but remember most of us offering seeds have regular stuff. We don't want to look like we don't want to adopt you, but please don't look like you're a Plant Diva.

Heidi

• val (MA z6)
    8 years ago

Heidi,

I think that was well put, and needed saying. When I was a newbie, I was pretty much happy to get ANY kind of perennial and annual seeds. The more exotic, the more you have to search and buy them yourself. And I think that this was a good point to be made.

• leila hamaya
    Original Author
    8 years ago

for sure, a newbie that writes they want ANY veggie, or ANY flower, (or whatever else, herbs etc) but basically makes it clear they will take what they can get (!) will be adopted much faster. likely the person will read your want list too, so list your harder to find items there, if they have some they will likely throw in a few special seeds from your want list.

that may be part of why some of the people on the current list havent been adopted. i am kinda wondering about some of them, they signed up long ago, and the list was moving quite slowly through summer, so many of our current newbies, are actually from posts from months ago.

any "old" newbies that are around, please feel free to make a new post and say hi again.... to verify that you are around and still actively seeking seeds and adoption. obviously dont do it every day, but please make a fresh post every now and again if youve been waiting for adoption for a while.

• val (MA z6)
    8 years ago

Sent a PM to Rhonda Mcdaniel z7

• canyonwind
    8 years ago

Shaina, I emailed you again this morning. Email me if still interested or not....

Carolyne, I am back. Email me.....

Val and Heidi, I agree. Adopt A Newbie is not for the rare and exotic stuff.

Annie

• Richard Louis
    8 years ago

Heidi and Val....

I totally agree with the 2 of you and anyone else who agrees with what you have written. This is an "all volunteer" group of wonderful and caring fellow gardeners.....what an opportunity to help each other out in such a way that life is more beautiful and tastes that much better through the offering of free seeds such as you all provide to those in need for whatever the reason.

Keep up the wonderful work and feel free to say Hello anytime!

Richard

• dancinmamabear
    8 years ago

Hello :)

I guess I'll try this again, I'm from Ohio live in zone 6. I guess my main garden focus is a butterfly/hummingbird garden.

I have an area in the back that was just cleared that is mostly shade.plants for that area would be greatly appreciated. Some full sun are ok as well.

I am interested in annuals and perrenials.

I am very much wanting columbines, different kinds.

I am open to other seeds, however I have so many zinnias this year, I really don't need any of those.

I think i did accidently kill my Turk's cap lilly this year and really would love some of those bulbs, if possible.

I would love to have somebody to ask questions of. I started to harvest seeds last year, this year I have more varieties of plants. Sometimes I can find information on them; sometimes not.

So if someone can adopt me that's cool, if not that's ok. I pretty much gave up on this site in general until I was emailed today.

• ellenros
    8 years ago

Hi Ellen here, in missouri, zone 6. Recently moved onto 3+acres and I am working on turning my brown thumb green. I have heavy clay soil, so nothing really finicky. Pretty much full sun everywhere, could do a SMALL amount of part sun, shade. I don't have specific plant requests, more colors...purple, blue, pink, maroon, silver. Also, I would love variegated hostas(I do have a full shade hosta bed but all the plain green needs help!) and daffodils if you happen to have some lying around! Thanks!

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    8 years ago

Sent a PM to both Tiffany Cox and Amanda Yono to see if they were still interested in being adopted. I'll possibly adopt both if they are.

Rodney

• leila hamaya
    Original Author
    8 years ago

@ ellenros -

please enable messaging, so people can contact you.

instructions repost - click on the

ADVANCED SETTINGS (<<---click here) link and adjust your account settings.

===============================

Technical Help for Newbies

IF YOU WANT TO BE ADOPTED ===>

PLEASE GO TO YOUR EDIT PROFILE PAGE AND MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOUR CURRENT EMAIL ADDRESS LISTED CORRECTLY.

Then go to ADVANCED SETTINGS

(located under “Account”on the left side of the “edit profile” page or at https://www.houzz.com/settingsAdvanced )

Scroll down to "Privacy settings"

and select the option of “ALLOW ANYONE TO MESSAGE ME” under "Who can message me".

===============================

• leila hamaya
    Original Author
    8 years ago

also i have emailed each of the newbies on our current list, asking them to post on this thread if they are still interested. so far dancinmamabear is the only one to respond, so i hope we can hook her up with an adoption soon. she has been on the list since spring.

and - does anyone know if there is a limit on thread length anymore? i have been wondering if we will run out of thread here, or might want to start up a new page.

• val (MA z6)
    8 years ago
    Maybe now is a good time to start a fresh page ;0)
  • leila hamaya
    Original Author
    8 years ago

it does kinda seem that way, huh? the list is the shortest its been, and fall harvest is here so this is a seasonal transition. yes i think i will make a new thread shortly.

• leila hamaya
    Original Author
    8 years ago

ok i have started a new thread : click here for adopt-a-newbie-ongoing-list-6

i suppose anyone can still chit chat here, maybe we can find out if there is a thread limit. but i have moved the info over to the new thread, so we can continue there with adoptions.

• Richard Louis
    8 years ago

Hey All, how do I find this new thread?

• leila hamaya
    Original Author
    8 years ago

hey richard, i am responding here, seeing as how we can sort of let this thread go for abit, maybe let the other thread be clean for at least a short time, of offtopicness =) i dont mind really, but might as well.

anywho i live way out in the middle of nowhere, in the mountains, almost all the way north to oregon. i do love california, at least this far northern corner of it.

and you can buy those little baggies at craft stores, at amazon.com or ebay...i have gotten some bulk from those places online and been satisfied with them. they come in handy for a lot of things, especially the larger ones.

• leila hamaya
    Original Author
    8 years ago

and also i used to live ( and garden) up in washington too...in oly. spent a lot of time in seattle as well. that was one of my best spots for selling my crafts and artwork...

but boy, it is a bit tough to garden in. even here, on coast - i have moved back and forth between the coast and the mountains here, in far norcal. you really would think that all of cal has such great growing conditions, and its true in many places, but the coastal climate in nor cal is not much different than washington rainy side. its that cool, lukewarmness, yes it might be zone 8 or 9, but you cant grow too many zone 8 or 9 plants because of the lack of light and sooooooo lukewarm. not hot enough for heat lovers, not cold enough for hardy plants....

but now i can grow tomatoes again =) and so much more...up in the mountains.

Sponsored