SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pelicanesque

Cutting down a range hood?

pelicanesque
9 years ago

I need to get a new range hood for my new (old) GE Monogram range. I'd like to get a chimney-style hood, like this XO one. Problem is, I have a soffit that makes the ceiling really low. It almost looks like we need to go with an under-cabinet style, but we have the duct necessary for regular (not recirculation) venting.

It looks obvious to me that if we were to go with this XO that we would need to cut down the chimney part of it to have it fit under the soffit and be high up enough above the range. There is 47" between the top of the range and the bottom of the soffit. There needs to be at least 27" between the top of the range and the bottom of the hood, which means we would have to shorten the chimney by 6"-7".

Anybody have any experience with this? Is it pretty typical to have to modify an existing hood this way? I wasn't finding any hoods that would fit without cutting. And I'm assuming I would have to hire a pro of some sort to cut it cleanly so it wouldn't look like a hack job.

Attached is a pic of the kitchen. The panel above the current hood is just that: a flat panel that comes off to reveal just the duct behind it.

Comments (6)