SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dregw

Crack in new quartzite countertop

dregw
9 years ago

I spent $12,500 having these new quartzite countertops installed in my kitchen and replacing all my kitchen backsplash. When finished, I asked the installer about the crack shown above and he said it was a natural vein and not an issue because the mesh beneath wasn't broken through. There isn't anything that even resembles this throughout the entire kitchen/backsplash which took 3 entire slabs to complete. I expressed my dissatisfaction and he has become very defensive with me stating that I was interrupting him and frustrating him by texting him about it. Everyone that has seen the crack says it is an issue and I'm trying to get the truth as I don't like it and even if it was natural it should have been pointed out if there was no way to exclude it from the island! The island is the centerpiece of our kitchen and this sticks out like a soar thumb! Thoughts?

Comments (55)

• jeff-1010
    9 years ago

i don't have any advice about the installer or the production co . but the part about the mesh not being broken is a steaming line of 'hooie'. pieces break off and are held in place with that mesh. as for the crack , a simple test will tell you roughly how strong the "crack" is. take your finger nail and lightly scratch across the crack. if your nail catches on the crack, then it's probably more than a simple fissure. if it doesn't catch or maybe just enough to feel, then you have nothing to worry about other than the appearance.

• dregw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a larger view of the island and the crack. I just don't see anything that would appeal to anyone about that crack.

• Related Discussions

Expanding crack in my new countertop!

Q

Comments (8)
    Bee, I've spoken to the fabricators twice today and they were concerned but didnt seem alarmed. Aside from us (and we're not moved into the kitchen yet), it's only my GC and 2 of his men. They are aware and nowhere near the corner. I remember your post recently about the cracked super white slabs... What a shame! And yes, this is a superwhite. This counter was actually cut from a slab that had cracked during shipment. They cut away from and around the crack. I sure hope that in wasn't a factor in this. Holly, I sure hope it will turn out as simple as that. My main concern is that it's a corner piece and the right, sharp corner away from the sink is not supported. It sits about half an inch above the top of the dishwasher. And it's not even just a crack... But an actual break of the corner. Still, keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best. Gr8day, I'm not exactly certain if this crack was preexisting and previously "glued" back together prior to installation. If that's the case, then it's definitely not a strong piece IMO. We don't want to deal with this same issue 2 months or 2 yrs down the road.
    ...See More

Granite Counter Top Dark and Cracking / Chipping

Q

Comments (8)
    Thanks to graniteshop for jumping in here. Now that I have seen what an air vent is (they are not required in my area), I have a better understandiung of why it may have cracked. Another fabricator wrote the following: "The hole for the vent is drilled all the way through the material like a faucet hole and is most likely an 1-3/8" diameter just like the rest of the faucet holes. There could be a couple causes of the crack. It could have been cracked during the install and not noticed until this point. It's also possible that they crack was caused when the hole was drilled. If they did it on site with the wrong style core bit enough heat could have been built up to cause the stone to crack. Also, if the cabinets were not level or if the top was not properly shimmed the top could crack after install. If the top was cracked before install it will still probably be perfectly flat. If it was cracked after install then you may be able to look down the top and see either a high point or low point in the top at the location of the crack. " Seems like good info to me.
    ...See More

Quartzite Counter - Crack or fissure?

Q

Comments (14)
    THanks, Joe -- your comprehensive and helpful comment from earlier just appeared. We will follow all of your diagnostic suggestions tonight when we get home from work and let you know. The fabricator is planning on coming to see it himself on Thursday. I am happy we will be so prepared. I think they may need to replace the stone. Sophie, I am curious why you think it should be repaired. If we had cabinets, appliances or tile installed with a large crack, I would think they would replace it entirely. Why for a counter would they just repair it when we purchased an intact and not cracked stone?
    ...See More

New house and cracked tah mahal quartzite counter top

Q

Comments (4)
    Taj Mahal and any quartite for that matter is so dense that it is particularly prone to cracking without experienced fabrication and installation. Some cracks can be repaired satisfactorily, but not usually inconspicuously, and if the surface wasn't properly installed, you could be seeing more cracking in the future. You should reach out to your contractor immediately for warranty service. If the contractor prefers to replace rather than repair, you might consider a different surface to avoid the same problem given that the installer obviously did such a poor job and left it with no comment. At the very least, you should not use the same installer for any replacement if at all possible.
    ...See More
  • Bunny
    9 years ago

It's a beautiful stone, but it sure looks like a crack. Does it continue over the edge and across the underneath side? It seems a bit suspicious running right across the end of the corner to say it's a natural fissure.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Dregw, you are correct in that there is nothing that would appeal to anyone about that crack. The only reason it appeals to your fabricator is because he doesn't want to redo it. If a fabricator doesn't have the sense to layout the stone without a visible flaw across a corner, then he shouldn't be in the stone business. Even if it is a "natural" flaw, it was a mistake to place it in the corner like that. Regardless of what happened or why it's there, it looks like it was broken and glued back on.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

LOL, way to make me into a liar, karin_mt! I stand corrected, dregw, that crack does appeal to someone!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

It looks like a poor repair performed with polyester that has ultraviolet light degradation.

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

Well, I'm another one that ruins the theory, jellytoast. I think the fault makes it look more interesting. However, if it is deep enough for food to catch in, I'd at least want it filled in or sealed.

• isabel98
    9 years ago

I have this same stone and there is a similar spot where I thought maybe there was a crack or repair. it's not on the corner though. there is one spot where the stone company told me they repaired and it looks nothing like this. I'll try to take a pic.

• User
    9 years ago

Character lines are *always* more interesting! I think it's really cool-----when properly filled.

• rebeccamomof123
    9 years ago

I think in a different spot, I would be more willing to accept it as character line. But right across the corner like that, every single person that comes in her home is going to think she has a big ole' crack across the corner of her counter, which just happens to be where company will always gravitate, lean, etc. and now they'll be nervous to do so. If it were me, natural fault line or not, it would always bother me. But, it matters most what dregw thinks.

• dregw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a picture of a slab from Levantina where we bought the slab. They said that this may not be the actual slab but it should represent a near copy of the slab if it isn't the actual one. I still don't see anything that looks like the crack I'm seeing in ours. Lots of veins for sure, but that isn't the focus of my disappointment. Apparently they see several of these but I just don't.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

Can they point them out to you?

• FeatherBee
    9 years ago

Wow, that's a lot of money to be upset. I sure hope things get worked out. My first impression was rather positive. I tend to like character in stone, but then I read there are no other similar veins elsewhere on the countertops so I completely understand your concern. However, the vein or crack or whatever it is may grow on you. Anytime something is new it's harder to accept/adjust. I really don't think it looks that bad but if it is a crack then it needs to be fixed/replaced. If things get nasty with the installer I would think your strongest argument is there are no other veins similar anywhere else, therefore the "crack" looking vein is a flaw. Surely during fabrication this area was noticed. You should have been informed prior to cutting the slabs to ensure no issues.

Again, I think your new countertops are beautiful. Close up the crack does look rather noticeable but farther away it's not too bad. Here's a pic of the crack removed. It's not much of a difference if you ask me.

• jeff-1010
    9 years ago

the pic from dregw is what a repair should look like. don't take no for an answer.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I agree with Rebecca. Somewhere else, away from the edge of the slab, I could probably get on board with the fissure as feature. Where it is, it looks like a crack, even if it isn't. Visitors will say, oh, is this a crack?!! You will answer, no, it's a fissure, a feature, and I like it. Of course, if you do decide you like it and can live with it, you might enjoy explaining what it is.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

Since a "fault line" is defined as a break or a fracture, whether it occured a million years ago or yesterday, it is still a crack. Right?

• isabel98
    9 years ago

mmm, this is all part of getting a natural stone. maybe something more perfect like quartz or cesearstone would have been a better choice for the OP. sorry this is not to your liking. I personally would appreciate that beautiful counter. even if you were to get another counter you would probably not like something about the next one either. I don't think this is the same as the fabricator breaking the stone. this is a natural occurrence and Karin states.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

It is a natural occurrence, but the subsequent "repair" is not. I'll bet that if you dig a sample the filler out of that crack and tested, it's polyester. The slab failed at the processing plant, probably before they even installed the mesh. They slapped goo in the crack, didn't clamp it well, pushed the slab through the polisher, and then stored the slab outdoors where the sunlight degraded the poly. Fissures and cracks in stone are natural and acceptable. Crappy repairs are not.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Isabel98, I don't think one should assume that because the OP is concerned about this one fault line that resembles a crack, that s/he "would probably not like something about the next one either." That's a pretty bold leap.

• dregw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I guess Isabel98 didn't read above where I stated I purchased 3 slabs and this was the only part I had an issue with.

• karin_mt
    9 years ago

Jellytoast,

A fault isn't necessarily a crack, at least not anymore. Since faults usually occur when the rock is underground, they can "heal up" from minerals circulating in the groundwater. That would be my best guess as to what happened here.

This particular type of fault is called a normal fault. Normal faults happen when the landscape is being pulled apart (compared to reverse faults that happen when things are crunched together). Geologists are fond of saying, "all my faults are normal." A witty homeowner could say the same thing about her countertop. :)

• romy718
    9 years ago

Possibly the stone yard has another slab in this lot?

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

Whether the crack is naturally occuring as karin_mt states, or poorly repaired as Tre maintains, the fact remains that the OP is not happy with the "fault's" location there on the corner of the island. IMO, part of a fabricator's job is to lay out the job so that the homeowner is left with the most aestheically pleasing result. They should take some responsibilty for that at least, and placing the "fault" there on the corner, again IMO only, just shows poor judgement. Just because something is "naturally occuring" does not mean that it is okay to leave it in the finished product. We expect our fabricators to work with the stone so that any flaws are left on the cutting room floor. The statement above, "I think the fact that your rock has a geologic fault line in it is pretty cool. I mean, how many other people can say that about their countertop?" kind of illustrates my point: If all of us had geologic fault lines across the corners of our countertops, the OP would likely be okay with it. The fact that we don't is what has the OP questioning why his/her countertop DOES. As customers, we do not want our $12,500.00 countertops to look like they have mistakes. It's not going to make the OP feel better to know that his corner has a geologic fault line if everyone who comes into his/her kitchen asks, "Is that a crack?"

Dregw, were I in your shoes, I would tell the fabricator that I am not happy with the result, and ask what can be done to remedy the situation. Perhaps you can work something out. Hopefully the stone yard will work with you towards a resolution.

• isabel98
    9 years ago

ok sorry but my point is that you can't pick and choose the parts you like with natural stone. Dealing with the fabricator to finalize the layout before anything is cut is optimal so that you can avoid these situations and considering how much this stone costs I'm not sure why the OP and/or the fabricator would not do that, or did you? Karin the geologist seems confident this happened long before it entered your home. Of course if it is a repair by the fabricator than by all means you are owed I would not argue that. If not then I'm just not sure there is really anyone to blame. I'm sorry this happened in a spot that seems more obvious. Your kitchen and counter are really just stunning.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

" Just because something is "naturally occuring" does not mean that it is okay to leave it in the finished product. We expect our fabricators to work with the stone so that any flaws are left on the cutting room floor."

Sorry, if you want perfection, buy Corian and avoid natural stone. There is a line here, but unfortunately, it's mushy. There needs to be sense of fair play and give and take with all parties.

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

That is sure a pretty stone.

I remember another poster had someone sit on the corner and the granite broke. Be sure to post a sign - Please do not sit on our counter.

Hopefully it can be repaired to satisfaction or fixed in a way that is a win win.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

I should have been more clear and said glaring/major flaws or poorly repaired flaws should be left on the cutting room floor. Of course it is unrealistic to think that natural materials will be without flaws. Anyone can lay out a pattern on a piece of stone and cut it. It takes skill to be a good fabricator and part of that skill entails laying out the template to show off the stone to its best advantage. Many of the problems between fabricators and customers could be solved with better communication before the cuts are made.

• debbie12153
    9 years ago

That would not be acceptable if put in my home.

• User
    9 years ago

Many times, it may require the purchase of additional slab material if some of these features are to be ''cut around' That is incompatible with the usual price shopper's methodology of counter shopping. It costs more to do the job right! Always.

• leavemeout
    9 years ago

Just today my contractor told me that LOTS of granite cracks and is repaired, but consumers don't realize it. The slabs you look at that have lots of movement often have cracks and splits that were repaired, but you just think they are veins, and not cracks.

Yours looks like a crack to me, and I'd be pretty upset if that were my stone. Perhaps it can be repaired without replacing the entire slab? I don't know, but I'd try. And if you put your payment on a credit card, definitely call the CC company!

• southerncanuck
    9 years ago

Unfortunately this is what may happen when one pays a service provider in full. When I was in the construction business no one paid the last installment, usually 10%, until they were 110% satisfied. There are those, and this isn't the case here, where customers came up with dozens of unrelated items that they felt was our responsibility. One of the best were the customers that insisted on us replacing all of the baseboards in the kitchen where our workers scuffed the paint. and owned up to the slight damage. We were installing a Sunroom and we didn't even have to go into the kitchen on the opposite end of the home. Well it turned out that our guys brought a new fridge and stove in when the new appliances were delivered curbside only. Yes the woodwork needed a touch up of paint but they wanted the entire rooms baseboard replaced including down the stairs to the basement because that trim profile was no longer available. They would not up the last $3200.00. I took before pictures of the entire room including the nicked baseboard. Then I marched down to the courthouse and filed a lawsuit in small claims court. The judge blasted them and I mean blasted them and awarded us the entire claim and threw in court costs as well. They were recent immigrants to Canada and when in court suddenly forgot how to speak English. I was blessed that day as the security gaurd just happened to speak their language fluently and translated for the court. She (the judge) asked if I wanted anything else besides the $3500.00 they owed me, I said I didn't think so, she replied did it cost you for parking when filing and for the court case today and she threw in another $30.00. And I didn't even have to touch up the scuff.

I don't think you will have a leg to stand on since you have paid in full and I bet your contract says something in the fine print that you are 100% satisfied. The only thing that might help is if you said the crack developed after installation but I bet your DNA won't allow you to be a dishonest person. They are out there I tell you.

• jerdie83
    5 years ago
    I will start by saying I work for a stone fabrication company. It blows my mind the amount of money people are willing to spend on countertops without researching, viewing all the slabs throughly, and discussing layout options for a responsible expectation on the final product. That being said it is the job of the fabricator to make sure the customers is educated enough on the selected material to have a reasonable expectation of final product. Stones with a lot of veins and movement can look totally different once cut. Just like small veins or irregularities can really stand out once the stone is cut into counter shapes. The company I work for gives every customer the option to view all materials being used and to be part of the layout process. Due to the limitations with material if there is an area that a customer request we avoid we do so if possible. If the request causes extra waste which requires the purchase of additional material the customer is given an updated increased price or the option to hand select new material. Before pointing fingers at your fabricator how much time did you actual spend looking at your material and how detailed were you up front about your expectations. Remember everyone's likes and dislikes are different so that area you think is horrible may have been he prettiest spot to the guy cutting your material. Ultimately if the area you dislike was in the material originally and you neglected for whatever reason ask them avoid it then it's 100% your problem and no one else. I wouldn't accuse your fabricator of wrong doing because your unhappy with the appearance. Do your home work, view slabs from the same block/ quarry, and speak to the stone supplier. I did not check the date on this post but if it is recent there should be more slabs from the same block still available. Your counters are beautiful and hopefully if you aren't able to have the island replaced you will start to love the small God made "imperfections".
  • millworkman
    5 years ago

"I did not check the date on this post but if it is recent there should be more slabs from the same block still available."

You should it's 3 years old...............................

• DPM1Mike MikeDPM
    5 years ago

This quartzite slab was installed last week in my place. Fabricator stated it was a fissure and was filled with an epoxy that is stronger than the quartzite

and could bear all the weight any counter would encounter. Should I accept this and pay off the balance of my bill?

• DPM1Mike MikeDPM
    5 years ago

Other thoughts?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

Fabricator is lying. He cracked it at the “L” and is trying to make his problem yours. Poor repair too.

• Mike Weatherholt
    3 years ago

We deal with this on a daily basis as we sell a ton of Taj Mahal. It is a beautiful NATURAL stone, but it is a P.I.T.A. to cut and fabricate. That being said, there is NO reason why it cannot be filled and the turbo'd to make it look like it NEVER happened. It just takes some dedicated time by the fabricator. Cracks happen, so do great repairs!

• Rayann MacDonald
    3 years ago

I have had Super white Quartzite installed and one corner of my island cracked off within 4 months. The company cut a whole new island and now part of my long run counter has a crack that is getting worse. I know that these pieces of stone have veins i them but how do you know the difference between that and something that is going to eventually get worse?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 years ago

A properly meshed, fabricated, and installed stone should not get worsening cracks. Post some pictures please. Not too close up.

• Tanya Vo
    3 years ago

We also have a crack on our quartzite that was just installed a week ago. We told our fabricator, he said it is part of the slab veins & wrinkles. He did another sealant and that’s it. Can anyone tell if it is an actual crack or is it part of the natural stone?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 years ago

Post a picture please.

• Tanya Vo
    3 years ago

• Tanya Vo
    3 years ago

I posted 2 pictures but posted again here. I hope you can see them. Thanks for looking Joseph!

• Tanya Vo
    3 years ago

Here is the original 2 slabs we bought.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 years ago

With all that going on in those slabs, that crack is a feature, not a bug.

• karin_mt
    3 years ago

That's part of the stone. It looks like there are similar features elsewhere in the slab.

Cool looking slabs, wow!

• Barbara Eckenrod
    3 years ago

We had this installed in 3 areas. Two of the sinks counters cracked in the same place. You can feel the crack with your finger the whole length of the crack. Our contractor notified the stone company and someone came for a service call today and claims it’s a natural part of the stone. I don’t think you should be able to feel a crack with your fingers. Please advise! Thanks

• jerdie83
    3 years ago

That is not natural, it’s a break. Is there a gap between the stone and cabinet? Meaning there is no support for the stone. The front area of stone counters when there is a sink is a weak area so if there is a gap it needs to be supported. The fabricator might be able to fix it enough so you can not feel the crack but that’s about it. What type of Quartzite is it? White Princess?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 years ago

It's a break; it's not "natural". The sooner it's fixed the better; it's only going to get contaminated. If a discount after the repair doesn't do the job, they have to replace it. Cost of doing business.