SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
happyallison

Just made my first remodeling blunder with HVAC, please weigh in

happyallison
9 years ago

I received an estimate for a new AC unit, refrigeration line, moving a waterheater and first floor main furnace within the utility room to make room for my new master bath, and ductwork for our main floor and basement. The HVAC company suggested a secondary furnace for the basement only. I asked for the pricing to see the difference. I must have misunderstood when he sent the quote for the additional furnace and ducting, I thought the price jump was only for the secondary furnace and ducting. I didn't realize that he had removed new ductwork for the first floor from that quote. One of my main hopes was to get rid of the old duct board. I may have skipped the secondary furnace in favor of replacing the main floor duct work as it was important to me. I did not catch that on the estimate, I wish I had. We spoke about moving the furnace and were saying we had to redo the ductwork anyway, my bathroom contractor was with me on all conversations and he remembers that we never talked about leaving the first floor ducting. I don't see how the miscommunication happened. Now I am stuck with $2800 cost of removing the main duct board truck line and replacing it with uninsulated (he stressed that point to me) metal or just leaving the ductboard main trunk line. I am torn, that is an awful lot of money but for health sake it would be worth it...if it indeed is a health issue. Even then I'm not sure we can afford it. Secondary furnace is in, can't cut that out at this point otherwise I would have.

Comments (6)