SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
asm198

New to starting tomatoes and pepper from seed. Tweak my plan!

After finding out that buying the amount of plants I want is out of my budget, I'm toying with starting from seed. I did a feeble attempt at starting some other things last year, but did it wrong, so I'm quite nervous to put all my tomato and pepper hopes on these seeds, but am willing to try.

According to NOAA, the average last frost date in my area is April 8th. However, I don't intend to plant anything until May 15, at the earliest. So, based on that information, I should be starting my tomatoes and peppers sometime between March 1-7. That will give me 7-8 weeks to grow the tomatoes and have time to harden them off. My peppers will go in closer to June, so they'll have an extra couple of weeks to do their thing before I harden them off.

Location and setup:

I have two spots where I could do this, a bedroom on the main floor of our house and the basement. I would prefer to do this in the basement, as we have a wet bar that would work nicely for this purpose, without having to do any furniture arranging like I'd have to do in the bedroom. However, the basement, while heated, is colder than the upstairs (the upstairs is kept between 70-72 degrees). It's not freezing, but you do notice a difference in temperature.

As far as the setup goes, I have a 4 ft long shop light, which I'm assuming can be used for this purpose. It just has regular bulbs and not grow lights, but I'm hoping that will be ok.

As far as watering goes, I was thinking I could place the plants on a shallow baking pan and add water to that, since I've read that bottom watering is better. Good idea?

When I've looked at what other people have done, they seem to have reflective material surrounding their plants. Is that essential? Could I tape up some aluminum foil, perhaps? (Is that a stupid question?)

Questions about the actual seed process:

I am thinking about "potting up", but am unsure what end size container I should be aiming for with that. Solo cup or 2 liter bottle?

Since, if I am going to pot up, I obviously need to start them in something smaller and I had an odd idea on how to make "tiny" pots using 8 oz cups and toilet paper rolls. I would cut the cups in half to make them shallower, then cut the toilet paper rolls in 2 inch sections. I'd sit the rolls in the cups and fill the rolls with soil and the seeds. Then I could water inside the cups, rather than in the baking pan, which might lower the risk of me overwatering the seeds. I was also thinking that it would be easier to remove the roll when it came time to transplant into bigger containers.

Random questions:

Is a heat pad essential? How many hours a day does the light need to be on, or is it on 24/7? How tall should the plants be when transplanted (I think I read 2 inches somewhere)? How often do I need to water (every day until I pot up, then every other day)?

Comments (14)