SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
noelspiderbell

Anyone have Cambria Seagrove? Or Summerhill?

Lily Spider
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

I have been GW lots lately trying to decide on countertops. I love marble so I had been looking at quartzite which of course I have been reading how some are not truly quartzite. Now I am looking at Quartz again. Cambria has some new colors out. I like Summerhill the best out of these three (middle) but if anyone has pics of any of these that would be great. Theses samples are just too small to really know what they are going to look like. My perimeter counters are white. Island will be black. Thx!

Comments (97)

• PRO
    Cambria
    7 years ago

We’re so pleased to see how
    many users within this thread are discussing Cambria. This is a great
    opportunity for us to provide a little more information about our product.

Cambria is made of pure,
    natural quartz that is consistent throughout its composition. Variation in the
    natural stone (quartz) color, pattern, size, shape, and shade are inherent and
    unique characteristics to be expected with our product. Some color blotches are
    intended and designed to enhance the natural beauty of each slab. Our coastal collection, in particular, is known for its bold movement and large-scale
    pattern.

When considering designs
    within this collection (Seagrove, Galloway, Langdon, and Ellesmere) we
    recommend viewing slabs in person to get a feel for what the design will look
    like when installed in large countertop applications. Certain dealers and
    showrooms do have these very large samples on display for homeowners and
    designers alike. To find a location nearest you, please usethe dealer locator tool on our
    website.

We do understand that for many individuals, an in-person viewing of the
    slab before install may not be possible if they live far away from a showroom
    or fabricator. In these instances, we encourage our users to utilize the “slab
    view” function on our website. This tool can be accessed by navigating to the
    design of interest within our design palette, and clicking on the “plus” icon
    in the upper right-hand corner of the design description to expand the window,
    and then clicking on “SEE SLAB VIEW.” The rendering should give a good
    representation of the movement that will be seen throughout the slab. We
    developed this tool especially for our large-scale designs to give our customers
    a better real-life representation.

We want all of our customers to be satisfied. If you have questions during the
    design, fabrication, and install phase of your project, please give our
    customer care line a call at 1-866-CAMBRIA. We would love to hear from you.

• Dream
    7 years ago

Cambria, I really wish your Oakmoor slab is available to view, your online colors seems different to a 12x12 I saw at a store. While I love the Oakmoor and wants it for my kitchen I don't want to take a chance if I can't see the slab in person.

• Related Discussions

Cambria Pendle Hill

Q

Comments (2)
    I am curious too as I am thinking of Summerhill on my island with Pendle Hill on perimeter (per Cambria's suggestion). Pendle Hill is the background of Summerhill - just with out the veining. Did you decide yet?
    ...See More

Paint color suggestions with Cambria Summerhill countertops

Q

Comments (9)
    Is the Cloud White of your cabinets BM Cloud White? What were the suggested colors you did not like? There is nothing wrong with monochrome. It is restful. If you want white walls they need to be as warm or cool as your cabinet color.
    ...See More

New Cambria countertop defect?

Q

Comments (40)
    sfp: Cambria has very specific written criteria as to what is and isn't acceptable contamination, however, they bend their own rules in their customer's favor more often than not. They'll probably send a technician to fix this for free, but I would advise you to live with it for a bit please. I had a potential replacement sink customer tell me "Absolutely not!" when I offered to drill and fill her bright red spot out of her white estone: You may learn to like it. I could have made the above disappear, however, you're always going to be able to find your repair if you look for it. Your guests and the home inspector for the buyer of your house someday won't though.
    ...See More

Cambria Pendle Hill

Q

Comments (50)
    Thank you @ceeemdee! I understand what you are saying and that makes perfect sense, they all blend! Since writing my post I am enjoying the PH more and more and liking it .....and now questioning the taupe. CRAZYmaking. It will be a warm grey taupe but maybe a designer is needed to help me on this. My favorite color in PH is the taupey color (not to match it per say). The color we are considering is called Frappe from Medallion cabinets, even though we are not using them. I am working on finding better colors starting today. I want to use black hardware, faucet and lights. At the rate of remodel out here, getting a contractor, it will be months and months but will do. I appreciate you being here ... I don't see a lot of PH on the web. Hope more continue to jump on here. Thanks again. @rparvathi NO sparkle in PH. My husband won't take the sparkle. ;)
    ...See More
  • Helen Tyrer
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Would it be too much to take Cambria Summerhill through the backsplash of kitchen as well as counter top as you see done with britanica all the time? Has anyone done this?

• Stan B
    7 years ago

mum1964, you'd have to look at the templating very carefully and how they would be placed into your kitchen. Sometimes there's a tendency to try to use scraps and remnants left over from the counters to finish off the backsplash. You'd have to put a lot of care into piecing them together with a bold and directional layout. Make sure you see an actual slab of these Cambria products before you decide and if you proceed with it make sure you review and approve the templating. The 12 x 12 samples cannot adequately represent the large scale movement on these slabs.

• wmarie22
    7 years ago

Originally my boyfriend and I had chosen Summerhill for our new house but after a second look we really liked Seagrove better. We are going with dark cabinets so we thought the dark veining would look better than the light veining. The seller was able to show us full slabs of both that also made it a lot easier, since seeing a full piece it is easier visualize what the final product might look like. It was definitely worth the hour drive to see the slabs at the showroom.

• Karen Robertson
    7 years ago

I saw large slabs of both the Summerhill and the Seagrove in a showroom and ordered a 12" x12" slab to have on hand when I shop for backsplash tile.

I by far like the Summerhill. Seagrove is much too "tiger stripe" for my liking but it really does come down to personal preference. The Summerhill has a subtle flowing pattern that doesn't "scream" at you, yet makes a nice statement in your kitchen. It also has subtle touches of sparkle which is an added bonus and what woman doesn't want a touch of bling :) My cabinets will be high gloss white and then will do a backsplash that doesn't take away from the pattern in the quartz. After all, quartz countertops are quite the investment. The cabinets are getting installed next week and then the countertops will be in a couple of weeks later once they are templated. My flooring is a beachwood coloured maple so it gives the kitchen warmth. I am so excited and will post pics once it is finished.

• PRO
    Cambria
    7 years ago

Great question, mum1964! We love the idea of adding seamless flow to your kitchen by using Summerhill for the countertop and backsplash. If you are concerned about the space being too busy, we suggest contrasting it with a simpler, more neutral color for your walls and cabinetry such as White Dove by Benjamin Moore.

• PRO
    Cambria
    7 years ago

We're delighted to hear you're considering Oakmoor, Dream. Cambria, like any natural stone, does have natural variation intended within our designs so that each slab is unique, contributing to the beauty of the stone. Our samples are small, select cuts of our slabs, so they may not include all aspects of the design. We invite you to view Oakmoor on our Design Palette and Inspiration Gallery to view high resolution photos of full slabs. We also recommend ordering some 3x3 samples at no cost to get a better feel for the design in person. We hope this helps!

• mayflowers
    7 years ago

What about that huge resin pool on that Hampshire peninsula upthread? That should be swirled like the rest of the slab. How does that pass QC?

• Pete and Donna Harris
    7 years ago

For some reason the veining effect of Cambria Summerhill is much more pronounced in photos than it is when seen in person or installed. Photos imply the veins overpower the rest of the pattern. It doesn't at all. We were concerned with this until we saw a whole slab of it at a local dealer. We got it and we love it. Summerhill is somewhat busy (subjectively I would give it a 5 on a scale of 10 in busyness). So I think it looks better with light colored cabinets and light colored plain backsplash (both white in our case). What doesn't show on photos of Summerhill is the beautiful detail and variation in the rest of the pattern, and the subtle sparkle in the veining itself. Here are a couple of pictures of our installed Cambria Summerhill countertop. But I think the pictures don't do it justice.

After #5 · More Info
    After #2 · More Info

• Lily Spider
    Original Author
    7 years ago

It looks really pretty in your kitchen. Nice choices. I love your red accents!

• Toni
    7 years ago
    @Pete and Donna your kitchen is beautiful! Love the Summerhill. My son used that with his white cabinets, too! Love the larger size in the white backsplash tile! What is it?
  • Toni
    7 years ago
    @seagreen .... What did you end up with for your backsplash?
  • Toni
    7 years ago
    @mayflowers I appreciate your comment. Initially I was not happy with that pooling spot. To boot, it should have been used on an inconspicuous part of the kitchen, instead of the island. I made error in not requesting a photo of the template before fabrication. I did bring the pooling to the fabricator's attention. They told me that it was not outside the realm of normal pooling. They were willing to come back and "break it up" with a process on-site, but I was concerned it may compromise its integrity with future use. Other family members were not bothered by it, and made comments such as "it makes it look more natural, like real granite" and "it adds character". Honestly, I don't even notice it anymore.
  • wmarie22
    7 years ago

Loving our choice. Still needs a backsplash, but it turned out beautiful.

• PRO
    Design & Decor By Shelley
    7 years ago

Very pretty..

You may want to consider a lighter backsplash..something very simple to allow the design in the quartz to shine..

• wmarie22
    7 years ago

Thanks, the plan is something along the lines of white subway tile.

• Helen Tyrer
    7 years ago

Well we went ahead with the summerhill as back splash as well as counter tops and are so pleased with the result,

• Christine
    7 years ago

Hello ladies! Beautiful kitchens... :) We have an old 70's kitchen and are replacing everything but the cabinets which are a walnut color. Do you think the Summerhill would work on walnut cabinets? I have searched for photos, but typically only see them on white or very dark cabinets. We also really like Galloway as we think the colors match better, but as others have also stated, the veining is much more pronounced.

• Toni
    7 years ago

Please post a pic of your walnut cabinets.

• Christine
    7 years ago

Cabinets...

• wmarie22
    7 years ago

It is my personal opinion that summerhill with the light veins look amazing with light cabinets and Seagrove looks great with dark cabinets, but that's just my opinion.

• Christine
    7 years ago

Thanks for the input! As much as I love the Summerhill, I am thinking the Seagrove or Galloway will be better too.

• ijinsil
    7 years ago

I really want to choose summerhill for my new kitchen island. Is that possible to make 63"x93"?

• Pete and Donna Harris
    7 years ago

Cambria's Product Specification Sheet lists the sizes of its quartz slabs as either 55 1/2" x 122" standard size, or 65 1/2" x 122" jumbo sized. The fabricator makes the specific form needed for your situation. A good fabricator can join pieces in such a way that you hardly notice the joints.

See our pictures above under "Pete and Donna Harris". The middle picture includes a joint in the corner area, going from the front edge to the backsplash, left of the corner. You can hardly see or feel the joint - even in person. The joint actually goes diagonally back from the front corner for only about 2 inches, and then turns perpendicular to the front edge and continues to the back. The purpose is to further camouflage the joint by not having it align with either the corner-to-corner diagonal line or with either of the front edges.

• ijinsil
    7 years ago

I don't want to make seamed. Do you mean summerhill comes jumbo size too?

• Pete and Donna Harris
    7 years ago

I'm pretty sure that Summerhill does come in jumbo size slabs, check with Cambria to make sure. I made a mistake in the length dimension I provided above for the jumbo size. According to the Cambria Product Specification Sheet (which you can google) the size is 65 1/2" x 132".

Your need for a 63" width for your island may be cutting it a bit close to cut out of the jumbo slab's 65 1/2" width, in order to have enough extra quartz to double the thickness at the edges (that is what most people have done I believe - we did). Cambria, or a local fabricator that handles Cambria might be able to tell you how much extra quartz you need to create the edges. You also need some overhang over the edges of the island - usually at least 1 1/2" on every side.

• Stan B
    7 years ago

Right, you need to talk to your fabricator and find out what the maximum width is they can provide out of a Cambria jumbo slab. Overhang and edges are important factors. If having a single slab is very important you might want to consider reducing the width of your island by several inches (after talking to the fabricator).

• sahai6
    7 years ago

mum1964,

Your kitchen is beautiful!

Do you mind sharing the name, brand and material of your floor tiles?

Thank you,

Mindy

• Helen Tyrer
    7 years ago
    I don't mind at all the floor tile is called Vibe And color is Frost we bought it from unique Tile and Marble Center!
  • sahai6
    7 years ago

mum1964,

Thank you for the information. Your kitchen is very modern. Just love it!

Mindy

• Jan Franks
    6 years ago

I am choosing cambria summerhill ! I have honey maple cabinets so I hope I can pull it off with a backsplash and a few accessories !

• Pete Harris
    6 years ago

Hi Jan. I love Cambria Summerhill. It's the most beautiful quartz pattern that we have seen, with lots of natural-looking "movement". It is actually a lot more attractive in person and in the smaller exposure of counter-top size than when seeing a whole slab of it at once or seeing it in a photo. You can see 3 photos of our installation up above in this discussion (under the name of Pete and Donna Harris) . However Summerhill is a relatively busy pattern (I'd assign it a 5 or 6 on a busyness scale of 10. Keeping that in mind, I think it is most compatible with a plain backsplash (ours is large white subway tiles), and a relatively plain and light colored cabinet appearance (not very grainy or dark - again, ours is white). But these are matters of personal preference, and others may disagree.

• Jan Franks
    6 years ago

We will be using subway tiles. Size and color yet to be determined. Thinking white or a grayish beige. Will make the decision after installation ! Your pictures are lovely and thank you for responding. I wish our cabinets were white. Maybe a paint job in our future !

• Pete and Donna Harris
    6 years ago

I would say the Summerhill countertop material has no significant beige elements in it. A gray or white subway tile would look great with it. Our kitchen designer chose an unusually large subway tile (4"x16"), I think to add a less busy backsplash look to the busy Summerhill pattern. We had some misgivings about it, but loved it as soon as it went up on the wall. Such long subway tiles may be better suited for backsplash areas that are wider as opposed to lots of small sections.

• Jan Franks
    6 years ago

Ok ! I will stay with white subway tiles ! But the reason I chose this is because I saw both elements of grey beige and gray. Also black and white ! Most of my house is painted a grey beige so I thought the summerhill was a perfect choice ! Does anyone else see any beige in Summerhill ?

• Jan Franks
    6 years ago

Would also like to see what "Cambria "would comment on the beige !

• wmarie22
    6 years ago

We have the seagrove style and I agree a plain white subway tile should look great. We have a few beige spots where the resin pooled in the making of the quartz, but nothing looks overpowering or not part of the design.

• jmfrannks46
    6 years ago

I am hoping to use summerhill. Very confusing !

• skwz
    6 years ago

We, too, have been agonizing about which Cambria design to use. We have pretty much made our decision to go with Summerhill. We will be using it with two relatively small bathroom cherry cabinets. I am a little concerned about the pattern being too busy, but it offers more interest than the plainer Ella design and doesn't have the darker veining of Seagrove.

• Nancy Beckner
    6 years ago

We're just finishing a bathroom remodel using Seagrove for vanity top. Can't provide photo because it's not yet installed, however, some comments. First, most photos don't do the Seagrove justice - it's much more attractive "in person" than it might seem in many of the photos. Secondly, it makes a real statement; I'd suggest using for only one surface in the room you may be doing. E.g., if in a kitchen, would only use on the island but go with something much plainer on the other countertops, etc. Finally, the colors in Seagrove give you lots of options on where to go in your choice of backsplash/floor, etc. tile, paint colors, etc.; greys and blue/greys particularly good. We are using the Daltile River Marble (Smoky River) for floor, Daltile Avondale (Castle Rock) shower wall tile, and white cabinets/white subway tile back splash, with a medium blue/grey wall paint. Hope this helps those of you considering the Seagrove.

• gratefulowner
    6 years ago

Cambria's treatment of their workers is deplorable. I fell upon a link with employee feedback of the company. Unhappy workers results in poor quality workmanship and suffering customer service departments. After reading about it I could not in good conscious buy cambria. Too bad. I was about to purchase the cambria that I fell in love with. Sorry, I don't have the link. Google it, if that kind of thing matters to you.

• amykaitlynn
    6 years ago

We're doing Summerhill in our new construction "forever home." I'm aiming to do a gray stained cabinet that pops with the Summerhill but still has enough brown undertone to go with our kid tone brown floors. Our backsplash will be a simple subway tile with gray grout and possibly an aqua arabesque tile feature above the stove. I'm so hoping this is all going to look good together! I'd love to do white cabinets, but we live on a ranch and I could never keep them clean!

• dazieeh
    6 years ago

Summerhill with “warm gray” backsplash and “white grout”. Love it!

First 2 pics, are my kitchen

A townhouse in construction next door with Summerhill against dark cabinets.

• luettaw
    6 years ago

daziee, what is your gray paint color in your kitchen? It is lovely.

• Sarah Taylor
    6 years ago

I can’t wait, I’m getting Summerhill in my kitchen remodel very soon!

• dazieeh
    6 years ago

Hi Luettaw, Color is called “Early Evening” It was already picked out by the builder. Not quite sure who makes it but I took a couple pics of the can.

• luettaw
    6 years ago

Thank you.

• mblbny
    5 years ago
    How do you like the sea grove so far. It looks so beautiful and goes well with our kitchen design and are considering it. Thanks
  • Dana Mondello
    3 years ago

i am considering Seagrove but it is so out of my normal design choice I am having trouble finding a floor tile Can anyone provide pics Thansk