SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lathyrus

Value of recirculating hood for 30" gas range vs no hood?

lathyrus
9 years ago

Started this thread:http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2847530/no-hood-how-about-a-sconce-over-my-range?n=30

in the kitchens forum earlier today, and got referred here.

Question is would a recirculating hood such as a Broan cbd330 make much of a difference in grease and odors vs no hood at all?

I dissected our hood yesterday in preparation to install it, and really can't see the point vs. a 30" stainless steel shelf, a sconce hung over the range and some vigilance with kitchen cleaning. The hood is mostly empty space inside (wasting precious space in a small kitchen), the filter looks meager... and I was almost ready to put it on freecycle rather than hang it. But I'm willing to let anyone who wants to play devil's advocate on this forum with me. Should I use this hood or not?

Some relevant facts: We can't and won't be venting outside at this time, though we bought a convertible hood just in case that could have been possible. Our range in a plain vanilla 4-burner. We have no upper cabinets, just shelves so hanging the hood so it looks right would be something of a PITA anyway. I'm an obsessive kitchen scrubber. I'm more of a baker than a cook, and have lived happily enough with ordinary gas ranges with no hoods or worthless recirculating hoods in the past. Alternatives to the hood would be more open shelving or bare wall with a sconce. The kitchen is well lit, with several nearby windows. I also know what CO is and why I should care about it. Our house is old and far from airtight.

Is my hunch that this recirculating hood won't do much good right? Would it mitigate eau de cabbage stew any better than cracking a few windows?

Thoughts? And thanks!!

Comments (9)