SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sjerin

Home Improvement?

sjerin
9 years ago

The prevailing advice is to gussy up a house before sale, but I have a more specific question.

We are selling my mom's house in Portland and it's in mostly original, working condition. (@1960) The kitchen is not in very good shape though it's perfectly usable, and the carpet has been taken up from the living room, dining room, hall and bedrooms. The hardwood floor needs refinishing. We will not being doing anything to the kitchen because it needs to be an all or nothing proposition but sister wants to refinish the floors. It seems likely to me the new owner will redo the kitchen, and possibly bathrooms, so I'm not sure it's a good idea to do the floors now as they will be marred in the process of redo construction. We have had the interior painted and Mom doesn't want to spend much on improvements--ultimately it's all up to her.

I find it impossible to know how much improvements really do add to the sales price. (Yes, I know there are numbers published, but I guess I'm not sure how legit they are.) When contractors do work, they MUCH prefer new everything than repairing something that isn't brand new or working around that which won't be replaced--it's easier and more lucrative for them. Yeah, I'm Cynic's sister. :)

Any advice? I know I could post on the real estate GW site, but I'd guess most there are real estate agents and the advice will be the same--change as much as we can.

Comments (14)