SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kitchen4six

Kitchen Plan... getting closer!

dietitian
9 years ago

I wasn't pleased with the idea of having to separate my fridge & freezer, so I have put the fridge now by the dining room entrance, and will be able to fit a 54"(30" fridge, 24" freezer).

I know this puts the fridge in a slightly inconvenient place, but I think it is the best compromise... what do you think? This is where my fridge resides in my current kitchen, and it isn't so bad. As as far as compromises go, I think it is a good one, right?

Comments (114)

• dietitian
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@sophie wheeler we actually turned our table and put it that way currently to see how we like it, and we LOVE it. It frees up the wall to be used for storage. I agree with your rolling stones song though. I'm trying out different compromises! We really do not want to add space to our home. We have 4 kids, so it is a challenge to fit everything we need in this kitchen.

@funkycamper thank you for that info. I thought it was too small.

@laughable moments, the sink itself is 33" and has a lip on the inside for a cutting board, drying rack, etc. So, some of the sink is usable as drying dish space. Some thoughts might be to add a pull out counter drawer for extra space when needed, or I saw a nifty drying rack cabinet or drawer combo- you place a drying rack behind a cabinet above the sink, and place dishes there so they dry & drip into the sink. or, you can do this in a drawer, but I'm thinking that gets messy.

• dietitian
    Original Author
    9 years ago

one more thing- I am excited about this last plan because it is kind of like a galley kitchen- which to me is the most functional of all kitchens. I made the walk in pantry door smaller & added more counter to the sink area-

• Related Discussions

Getting closer wtih my plans

Q

Comments (17)
    Pocket doors are a good solution, especially for the closets, because you never want any two doors inhabiting the same swing area. Actually, that's a safety issue and may be covered under the local building codes. So put the W/D upstairs, and put a TV in that room. Gorsh, another TV isn't all that expensive. Go online and meander through some of the sites for 'closet designs.' The reason small walk-ins aren't very good is that they are small walk-ins. They usually bear a strong resemblance to a crowded cave and are extremely difficult to adapt to useful, convenient, usable storage. You also lose the visual openess (means that the whole bedroom looks smaller) when you enclose a space that used only to stand in while reaching for a hangar. A single-use space isn't too efficient. And I know from experience that not many children are going to go into that cave to get and/or put away shoes. It doesn't seem to matter that they are small enough to bend over without putting their butt through the back wall, it's just that they WON'T bother. Their viewpoint seems to be that shoes and socks belong in the same armreach, and socks are usually in drawers so drop the shoes near the sock drawer. Uh, huh. This doesn't apply to those folks who walk in the door and immediately remove their footwear -- and I'm one of 'em. [I keep houseshoes and yard shoes by the most-used door; dress shoes are stored on the wall in the dress closet.] Okay, we appear to have a difficulty with tactile use of a 4' wide space. Go to your present bathtub; hang some hangars from the shower curtain rod. Measure the space -- it'll probably be real close to 4' from the far shoulder of the hangar to the wall. Now get into the tub and walk up and down with the wall on one side and the hanging clothes on the other side....that's what you are planning to allow for the closet.
    ...See More

Is this plan getting any closer to perfect :-P

Q

Comments (24)
    I think a more accurate term for the island would be bowed. I just went and measured it, and it only comes out 2 inches at the center and that's stretched across a 3 foot width. It just softens it a little and adds a little interest without being too obvious or taking up much room. The fridge wall is all 24" deep. We have a utility cabinet (step stool, dog leashes, dustpan broom and hand vac) with a divided cabinet above for trays and cutting boards. The second cabinet is a 24" pantry with rollouts and a shelf in the upper portion. The one on the right is a 12" pantry pullout tower with wire baskets. I really love this pantry arrangement. There are 2 27"high storage cabinets above the pantry/utility (one cab with doors made off center to match the cab below) and the fridge. You can see the bookshelf turned sideways over the end pantry. We didn't think anything that narrow and deep that high up would be very useful, so I have a row of cookbooks on the bottom shelf (I can just reach them, so these are not the most used books) and display above. We have about 44" between the fridge and the island. I think we barely had enough to push a fridge in before (can't remember if we had to take off the door), so it feels like a huge space to us now. I wasn't sure exactly what you were asking about the cabinets, so I hope that covered more than you needed to know. ;-)
    ...See More

getting closer to my white kitchen

Q

Comments (6)
    willtv - Thanks! My cabinets are by Cheaha Cabinets with the "Pinhoti" door style in "pure white" (their standard white which matched close enough to trim throughout painted BM White Dove, so no custom color needed). So far I am impressed with cabinet construction - ALL plywood box, soft close drawers, solid wood adjustable shelves is standard! Our builder has a deal with a wholesaler rep. so we just chose a door style. I had the kitchen laid out, so rep didn't have to design it, just make their pieces work out how I wanted it! Yes that's my daughter! She has been in a constant state of motion since she started walking at 8 months (she's 4 now)... But she probably is dancing in those photos :) Keeps me on my toes! Luckily my 5 month old son is laid back...so far!
    ...See More

My Retirement is not getting any closer

Q

Comments (3)
    I guess I am really getting depressed about not being able to retire because for several years I planned to retire this Oct. 31 and now that time is less than 2 weeks away, and I am afraid I will never get to retire. I have worked for 46 years and I want out. I worked hard for 6 years to get my credit cards paid off and they finally are, but I have a whole new set of problems. I am now faced with the prospect of my land not selling if it is not engineered. I will have to do the engineering and I have an estimate for $9,500 from an engineer. The town is putting in a sewer line by that property and I will have to pay for 2 sewer taps that could run anywhere from $3,000 to $6,000 a piece, my car needs $2,000 urgent repairs, my house needs repairs, the roof leakes, the plumbing needs lots of work and I just don't know what to do. I could very easily end up $15,000 in debt, and I just found out that I need another major dental procedure that could cost up to $2,000. There is just no way I can see my way to retire and that is what I want so much.
    ...See More
  • _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

That last plan doesn't have nearly enough room around the cleanup sink. You need 24" on one side, and 18" on the other, minimum. I'd say put the fridge and freezer there, but there's not enough room for that either. Maybe just the fridge, with a landing space to the side and the freezer on the back wall. But the biggest problem is that you have no space between island and table. That forces all of the traffic through the too skinny aisle there between island and whatever that wall will house. That turns it into a major traffic route. Separating the island and table will give you much better flow as you're able to walk between the island and table.

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

I can't read all the small print. With this plan, where are you going to store your dishes/glassware/cutlery? Will most of it being going in cupboards above the sink and/or drawers in the island? I just don't think this is convenient to the table area for both setting it and clearing it. Or to your dish pantry. I think the plan with the fridge and sink/DW switched makes better sense.

• Lavender Lass
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Two things...the oven is blocking the pantry and the prep sink is really close to the seating area.

Have you considered an island cooktop? You have the perfect set-up for it, since there are no stools by the cooktop (or across from it) and it will give you more light for the windows.

This will give you a dedicated baking area that can double as a snack area (especially with undercounter fridge) and two prep areas....one by the pantry, where you need it :)

An older style kitchen (which I actually love) but it shows you lots of windows over the sink and the nice prep area by the island cooktop. Hope this helps!

• dietitian
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@lavender_lass love that except for the island cooktop. i just don't want that. the ovens would be french door or side opening, so that would help a little, no? I can move the prep sink over, but was thinking it would be good there because I may have a cold/hot water faucet on it.

Can I just say this process is really frustrating!!!! And, I have had a few kitchen designers look at my plans to give me cabinet quotes, but they offer me no feedback. You guys are much more helpful than they are! You would think they would want to make my kitchen the best it can be, but they just placate me and tell me what a great design it is. Why is that??? So, in a nutshell, I really appreciate everyone's feedback because it keeps me thinking and trying- So a HUGE thank you to all of you on this thread :)

• Lavender Lass
    9 years ago

Why do you not like the island cooktop? Everyone has different preferences...and it costs more for an island hood...but you can see the kids, while you're cooking. And you won't have your back to everyone, while you're stirring sauces and they're eating at the island table.

I can see you have put a lot of thought into your planning process, but you have to think about where you will prep, where you will bake, where you will clean up, where you will place food for prep, when you bring it out of the pantry or fridge....and do your zones overlap? Will the kids be walking through your cooking zone to use the sink or fridge?

These reasons are why planning can be so difficult, especially in a larger space! You want to minimize steps as much as possible, so make sure dish storage is near the dishwasher and baking supplies are near the oven and storage...and fridge and sink. No plan is perfect, but you'll enjoy the kitchen a LOT more if it's as functional as possible :)

• dietitian
    Original Author
    9 years ago

because when I want to entertain, I want my island to be able to be used as a buffet. also, I am quite a mess on the cooktop, I don't want it in the middle. Also, I feel like the hood breaks the space up and feels crowded.

• Lavender Lass
    9 years ago

What if you flip the cooktop and clean up area? I don't always like clean up on the island, but if you plan to have it for a buffet, then the prep sink could be a beverage area. Just an idea :)

• Lavender Lass
    9 years ago

One final idea....and why do I have the sinking feeling we're back to an earlier plan? LOL I've lost track! But this might work, with fridge and ovens on the long wall and pantry and dish hutch...by the dishes, table and dining room.

dietitian thanked Lavender Lass
  • dietitian
    Original Author
    9 years ago

great advice funkycamper! i'll print them up now, and we will have some fun during the snow day tomorrow (8-12"!!!) acting them out.

• dietitian
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@lavender_lass that is a new idea lol! we haven't hashed that out yet.... interesting! didn't think of that. will make that up in my software and print out to pretend-play it tomorrow. (don't tell funkycamper lol)

• Lavender Lass
    9 years ago

I won't! :)

And if you like more windows and don't want any upper cabinet storage on the window wall...maybe something like this.

Windows above sink with that beautiful marble tile....

And slightly larger windows by the cooktop. Pretend that's marble tile, too!

• laughablemoments
    9 years ago

That last one by LL is very interesting! A couple of things I'd want to check in all that play acting is to make sure the fridge door closest to the outside door can open all the way since it's snug against the wall, and to make sure that the open oven isn't dangerous since you've already experienced a burn in your family. Will the kids be dashing in and out that door and around the corner by the oven?

If you did an induction cooktop, would you be willing to put it on the island? (They clean easily.)

And for large get-togethers, could the table be used as the buffet rather than the island? Because I do like the plan of the cooktop or the cleanup on the island if those issues could be dealt with. Just some more thoughts. : )

• dietitian
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    How about this?
  • dietitian
    Original Author
    9 years ago

funkycamper: I taped off my current sink area with the 5' 10" of space, laid out the 33" sink. and I think it is fine! actually, with all the crap on my counters, that is basically the space I have now, and there will be an improvement because I will have a larger, deeper sink for the dirty dishes. I think the ideal would be 12" inches on one side and 24" on the other side of the sink (with dishwasher below). The sink I am looking at is 33" wide with a ledge inside it. The other idea would be to do a 48" sink where all the work is done in the sink. Have you seen those? they are quite amazing. They come with a dish rack that sits on a ledge inside the sink for drying. Currently, I plan on getting the 33" single ledge sink from www.seamlesssink.com (click on it to view) but they will custom make sizes as well.

Also, with this design, I was able to put back the 1' into the closets- no need to open the walkways.... island is a bit smaller, at 6'5" to make a large enough walkway between the island and the cleanup sink. downside here is cleanup sink farther from kitchen table, but closer to dining room, which is where we eat when entertaining. No need to put all the dirty stuff on the island to get it to the cleanup sink- will be able to put directly in the sink.

Im sure there will be critiques of this plan, but I think I really feel the best about this one! still, keep the critiques coming, I need it.

• fouramblues
    9 years ago

I've been following your thread, but haven't chimed in, because I still like the plan you posted on Feb. 25 at 1:44 best (and I really like it). I couldn't work with the cleanup sink where you have it now. I have a 33" cleanup sink, and when I'm doing serious cooking or baking I fill the sink with dirty dishes and then stack more on the "dirty" side of the sink, while the dishes I've managed to clean are drip drying on the runnels on the "clean" side. I'd say I frequently need 7' for cleanup, and I do have a prep sink.

dietitian thanked fouramblues
  • funkycamper
    9 years ago

See, playing around helps, doesn't it? Have you pretended to be cooking, baking, cleaning-up, with multiple activities going on at the same time yet? That's the true test, imho.

Are you talking about the Kohler 45? Yes, I've seen the video. I think I'm too old of a dog. I don't get the appeal. It seems like most people who put those in only have the one sink. Are you thinking of getting one for your clean-up or prep sink? Confused. If you want one, get one. I'm not trying to talk you out of it. I just question whether you need two sinks then.

• Lavender Lass
    9 years ago

Let's see, just from a critique standpoint....clean up area is too small (although you address that) no landing space next to fridge (except table with kids in the way) baking area is too far from ovens, all your prep spaces are now pretty small...and my biggest concern, not much view outside. And only view from table is the fridge!

If you want the shallower storage area on the left, I think you should go back to an earlier plan, with a few tweaks. Divide dish storage (as you did originally) between shallow storage on left wall and dishes by dining room.

Clean up sink is now near back door and breakfast table, with island a convenient landing place for dining room dishes. The range windows (too small) are combined and enlarged to create one big window space over the sink. Now the view from the table is out the window!

Fridge is still outside main cooking area, but you don't walk through cooking area to go from fridge to pantry...a major walkway in most kitchens, when kids want snacks. The fridge is also close to the baking area and main prep area...a good location.

No plan is perfect, but remember....you want to enjoy the kitchen and have some nice views outside, whether you're cooking, eating, cleaning, baking, etc. and a larger window will bring in more light, views and interest, plus some sunshine to the breakfast table :)

• dietitian
    Original Author
    9 years ago

funky camper yes it does, but alas you and lavender are right... don't wanna stare at a fridge.....

• Lavender Lass
    9 years ago

Honestly, I like the window! But that being said....you could get the fridge with the TV option on the front. LOL I don't know if the ones you like have that option, but....you'd be really popular, at least with my nieces and nephews, with Frozen playing non-stop! (I digress.) But a chalkboard option is nice, too.

Seriously, if you like this new version, I would make a few changes. Move the oven to the other side of the range, so you have some landing space by the fridge. Also, it gives you easier access to the oven from the baking area...without walking through your main cooking space.

And, I'd try to fit in as much window space as you can on each side of the range. I tried to make them a bit larger, with the hood slightly smaller. But, that's your choice, just an idea.

This option would benefit from an undercounter fridge on the back side of the island (still nice for baking and snack option) but that's up to you. The walk-in pantry is now storage on each side (shallow on top, deeper on the bottom) with hooks for aprons in the middle...okay, that's just from the other thread, but it's a great idea!

Also, I'm not sure you can fit a pantry door into this plan, so having an archway into the space might be rather nice and kind of vintage...especially with the aprons.

Hope this helps...and I also included some ideas for dish storage over the clean up sink :)

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

I think you had some good plans farther back in the process where you had better windows. Maybe you should re-visit them and do some pretend kitchen play with them to see if they will work for you. I know I would regret limiting my view to outside. Particularly if I had children outside playing that I wanted to keep an eye on. You've had several good, workable plans. I'm sure you can pick one with the right balance for both function and aesthetics.

dietitian thanked funkycamper
  • dietitian
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Okay. Realized I definitely need a window in front of the table. So, I went back to kitchen #7 ( i have 10 different plans saved so far!)

and I made the windows & door look nicer to help me visualize. I also added a "sideways" upper cabinet next to the oven- this would likely be either open shelving or have some kind of garage/pull up door to house my stuff I use daily, like the citrus juicer, blender, bamix hand blender.

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

I really like this plan a lot better. Your fridge fits well in that niche next to the pantry. It's accessible to non-cooks but still accessible for cook. I thought putting the fridge where you now have the clean-up sink was crowding the cook. And your clean-up sink makes a lot more sense here. If someone is cleaning up while someone else is cooking, you have enough separation to make that work. If someone is cooking solo, prep can be done at either sink. I suspect there will be times where clean-up sink is used for prep and that is great to have that option.

Do you still plan on a dish pantry on your pantry wall, the first set of cabinets inside the door? (I can't read the small print). While that's a couple of steps from the DW, I don't think it's so far to be a huge problem. It would be nice to have dish/cutlery/glassware storage a bit closer to DW but then you'd lose that wonderful window. If it were me, I'd sacrifice doing those extra steps to have the window. :)

I was going to suggest that you just make that window one big window until I really looked at your window plan. The taller verticals on each side of the bigger window really add a lot of charm and compliment the windows flanking the hood. I think this is going to be beautiful and so pleasant to work in.

I like your "sideways" cabinet as well. You might do a search for huango's appliance garage post. Her idea might work quite well there.

OK, now stop! Do your pretending routine to make sure this really does work for you off paper and, if it does, I think you've nailed it. Focus on fine-tuning details but I think you're done with the big planning. Really. It's going to be lovely and seems to meet all your wants and needs.

• nancyjwb
    9 years ago

I've been following your thread without comment. I think you're on the right track with this plan..looks great! Those windows will be gorgeous! Which direction will they face?

• dietitian
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Ok I'll stop now! Yes I will have dish storage next to the kids pantry. Not sure if I should also have toaster/coffee/micro there too or put that in the cabinetry between the dining room & garage door.

The windows face east to my backyard. We do get direct sun in the early morning, so I might need to shade then.
  • Lavender Lass
    9 years ago

This one is beautiful....and very functional!

Very nice use of windows and all the main appliances are close enough together to be practical. I also like the flow much better...your pantry, fridge (food storage) is close to water and prep space, then just a quick pivot to cook. The oven location works well with cooking and baking....I think you've nailed it!

Love the blue lower cabinets. Is that what you plan to use in the kitchen or is that just the software? What do you plan to use for countertops? I keep thinking marble, but maybe that's from another thread....take the weekend off and enjoy your plan. Great idea about the side cabinet, too :)

• dietitian
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I do plan on having a blue/gray/green kind of color for the lowers. I just love that two tone non-matchy look. I also plan on doing inset uppers with exposed hardware. and full overlay lowers. again, to be rebellious against matching too much lol, but also I saw it in a showroom & loved the look. I plan on mostly drawers for the lowers, which is why I want full overlay drawers. I would LOVE marble but I'm such a sloppy cook and use tons of lemons so I think it is a bad idea. I am thinking maybe to do solid surface white countertops with slab cararra marble backsplash. This way, I get some marble to look at, with the durability of solid surface counters. I found a company that does veneer slab marble, so it looks like a hefty piece of marble, but is thinner than tile! it has a fiberglass backing for strength.

here is my inspiration kitchen color combo-

they had dark wood floors, which I do not want, but I am wondering if I might have the island be walnut.

• dietitian
    Original Author
    9 years ago

here is the kitchen with walnut cab & walnut table & sides of fridge- what do you think?

• nancyjwb
    9 years ago

oh an eastern exposure will be great! You might be different, but I spend most of my time in the kitchen in the evening and late afternoon, and eastern light is nice and shadowy and perfect then! Excited for you. I do like that Smitten Studio kitchen and the walnut will add that dark element that they have on their floors. Should be perfect!

dietitian thanked nancyjwb
  • Lavender Lass
    9 years ago

I like the marble backsplash and white countertop! Best of both worlds :)

Is this the kitchen? I think the walnut accents will look nice! What are you planning to do for the floor?

• Hillside House
    9 years ago

This is totally a form over function, but if it was me, I would probably make the cabinet underneath the sideways cabinet into two different ones, so that the vertical line of demarcation is uninterrupted. (Keep the right one white, and the left one blue.)

Your kitchen plan is gorgeous, but that just jumps right out at me, and I think that you have plenty of well-planned storage that you could tweak that area for the visual benefit and still be okay.

dietitian thanked Hillside House
  • dietitian
    Original Author
    9 years ago

nancy I am in my kitchen during those hours and usually have to put all the dinky lights on because I don't have enough light! It will be nice to have more natural light :)

lavendar_lass yes, that is the kitchen! it is gorgeous! floor will be unstained quarter sawn white oak, so basically a neutral light cream color.

Gennifer B that was a genius idea! Like this, right?

I wasn't sure how to color the oven cabinet. I know this is one of the issues with two-tone kitchens but this seems like a great way to do it! Thank you!

• Hillside House
    9 years ago

Yes! That looks much better, IMO. :)

I know what you mean about the oven cabinet. That's what kicked me into a perimeter/island two-tone instead of upper/lower. ;)

• Lavender Lass
    9 years ago
  • fouramblues
    9 years ago

This kitchen looks both functional and beautiful! I will suggest, though, that you plan where you'll put everything. The only possible problem I see is limited space for storing frequently used items that you want to be readily accessible, like pots, pans, mixing bowls, etc. If it turns out you need more space, I'd eliminate the two pullouts flanking the cooktop, which would allow for two really nice-size drawer stacks in place of the 18" ones you've got. But you might not have as much junk as I do, so it might not be a problem for you. ;)

• rebunky
    9 years ago

By George, I think she's got it!

I had tried looking at your kitchen before, and somehow I was quickly overwhelmed and exhausted. I thought, I better not comment....leave this one for the experts. I could not imagine how you were holding up! :)

But then today I thought, I wonder how dietitians plan is coming along? I scrolled thru the many layouts. Then I got to "the one". (Right after you made that last change suggestion by gennifer b)

My brain immediately sighed. Everything became calm and tranquil and I thought, "Ahhhhhh, now this one feels good.... I hope she keeps this one."

The blue-green, the walnut, the white, the windows, the fridge in the small alcove area, everything. Love it!

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

Oh, Dietitian, I like your plan even more now when I read what you're planning for your finishes. Especially with those fantastic windows. Yayyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!! It is going to be functional and gorgeous!

Regarding toaster/coffee/micro placement, I'm leaning toward the cabinet next to the garage door but you know my real answer is pretend using those items in that space to see if it works for you. :)

• szruns
    9 years ago

Note . . . As depicted in your (lovely) current image, you have almost none to no backsplash except behind your cooktop. So, if you really want the look of the marble, be sure to think through where it will be, because, as is, I don't think you'll be getting much backsplash. (And, if it's only behind the cooktop, I'm not sure you'd choose marble.)

• Lavender Lass
    9 years ago

For toaster, coffee....I think the shallow pantries (closer to sink) would be a good choice.

Can you incorporate the microwave into the oven stack? That might be nice....close to fridge/freezer and pantry.

Szruns- I believe there would also be a backsplash where the shallow pantries are located....if that's a possible spot for toaster, coffee, etc.

• dietitian
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    @fouramblues that's my next task! Meeting with kitchen designer at cabinet showroom Monday. I am going to photograph every drawer/cab I have now to make sure it all will have a home.
  • dietitian
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    @rebunky I was going crazy! Glad you like the latest plan. Lavender_lass & funkycamper were soooooo helpful! Huge hug & kiss to them for being so patient with me :) and walking me through this process.

I did a "pretend" cooking session today & even measured where stuff would be- love it all!!!!!
  • Lavender Lass
    9 years ago

I've been wondering what the fridge would look like with the walnut wrap...and the wood on the island. Then, I posted this on another forum and took a second look....of course, you wouldn't have the wood floors, but I like it :)

• dietitian
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I will have white oak floors like this.

Thanks for posting that pic above- it helps me to visualize what it would look like. I like it too!

• dietitian
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Capitol Hill Residence 02 · More Info

this is similar minus the yellow.

• bpath
    9 years ago

I love following a kitchen plan as it develops, you guys are all so imaginative! This is going to be wonderful. So I don't know if I can chime in at this late date, but...the sideways cabinet is so cool, but is it going to be 24" deep? How will you reach to the back of the middle-to-top shelves? The range is right there and protrudes a bit so you won't be able to scoot over (or, what I would do, hop up on my knees) to reach.

Not meaning to throw a wrench in the wonderful works, but yet another opportunity to mock something up lol!

dietitian thanked bpath
  • dietitian
    Original Author
    9 years ago

bpathome I think I see what you mean about reaching. It will house large items, like my citrus juicer, mini food prep, maybe some bowls, & hand blender. I will discuss with cabinet maker about reachability and will try to "mimic" that on my current counter to see what it is like to reach for stuff. thank you for your input!

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

How about slide=out shelves?

• dietitian
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So, now that I am thinking about where to put what... I loved muskokascp's little nook so much, I think I want to have a sliding pocket door between the ovens & walk-in pantry, but have the cabinet/counter continue into the pantry along that wall. Sorry for the distorted pic but I'm not so good at using the camera feature of this program. Also, the shelving choices in the program are super ugly, don't mind that. I put a window above the top shelf to let light in. I would do a pocket door with frosted glass as well. On the counter would be my magic mill (heavy duty bread dough mixer), kitchenaid, possibly the microwave here instead of by the kids pantry (because we use microwave mostly for melting butter for baking or for my daughter making mug cakes). shelves above might house the flour, baking soda, powder, baking spices, extracts, etc. below would be cake pans, hand mixer, etc. the rest of the pantry walls would have floor to ceiling pantry shelving.

I'm not sure what to do about the corner because with shelving the door wouldn't open. maybe I would have to have an open area below with just counter above?