SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arthaith_swan

Need advice on tackling front garden

C4car
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

Hello all,

I just bought a house a few months ago, and now ready to take on fixing the yard. I need advice with the front of the house. I live in Vancouver, BC. And the front faces north, so I'd say we get partial sun in the front yard? My main priority is to have a low maintenance garden. I'm completely new at gardening, so instead of starting from scratch, I want to work with what we inherited from the previous owner (see attached photo).

I hope I'm identifying the plants correctly as I describe what I want to do:

1. I want to keep the tall emerald green, but definitely time it down so it's not covering up the doorway, to the height of the railing. How should I do this? I'm gonna take off quite a bit and I don't want to kill it. It looks unhealthy too... not very full and lots of brown throughout. How can I save it?

2. I think I'll also keep the two short danica cedars on either side of the emerald. They look full and healthy.

3. I want to rip out everything else. How should I do this without disturbing or killing the 3 plants I want to keep?

4. After clearing the garden, can I plant a few blue star junipers along the short danica cedars?

5. And closer to the edge, I want to add more colours by planting heathers. Is that okay?

6. Then I'm covering the entire base with river rocks. But before I do that, what should I be aware of in terms of the soil underneath?

I know that's a lot of questions... but I want to do this project right. Anyway, any advice and tips will be greatly appreciated!!!

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus
More Discussions