SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wantonamara

establishing Liatris punctata in caliche washes

These are seedlings that I started in a caliche wash in a the beginnings of a short grass prairie in a mountain ash juniper break on a uplands area of the Edwards Plateau. The seedlings below are in the picture at the bottom of this thread. Somehow I got things in a jumble. These are growing on the slope..

This wet winter in Central Texas has awarded me with success in getting seedlings started in a very difficult area I planted out seeds for liatris, tahoka daisy, Mentzelia decapetela, I sedan hand adze with a heavy claw end to loosen the soil in small areas and raked in handfuls of seed during the winter at different points. I planted in a sloping caliche wash at the base of a steep slope where the downpours come down hard of the upper slope and constantly wash off soil. It then becomes bone dry. It is a white calcarious caliche. No brown here. It is a natural spot for a growing patch damianita ( Chrysactina mexicana) so it is possible to grow things, just hard to start things.

Here you can see a limestone gravel slope that has been overgrazed and slow to recover. I racked in and created some depressions and small rock berms to help hold water and soil. I have had success even here. I see some wine cups, tahoka daisy, and mentzelia up here. The slope here is steeper than it looks. I have a tough time stumbling down it. I am now having to watch for the tiniest sign of little seedlings. I can not tell you how many times I have done this and failed. The heavens were kind to us this year. This is far away from any hose bib so the water has to be from on high.

I am also finding Penstemons, Ipomopsis rubra, wine cup and blanket flower with successful starts. I am so excited. Every week I go out and check.

Comments (37)

Sponsored