SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sylviatexas2

Waxahachie Swap April 11 2015

sylviatexas2
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago
We'll meet somewhere around 9 AM or so at Brown Singleton Park, just south of the 287 bypass (not business 287, but the 287 that goes around the north end of town) on Farley St.

same sort of thing as the other swaps:
bring what you want to, label it, be sure it's hydrated, etc.

Since this swap is only 3 swaps old, we haven't put a potluck or a prize drawing into place.

Comments (51)

• sylviatexas2
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    yep.

When 2 irises bloomed, I got all excited, started looking for other things, worried that something had eaten them, then remembered...
    it's still just February!

Some of the coreopsis has green leaves already, & the artemesia is popping like popcorn!

but it's still very early to see what's going to grow!

Reminder to all:
    If you don't have one single plant, bulb, or rhizome, you still can participate!

I just looked at the garden department at Dollar Tree, & they have a lot of things, *for $1 each*, that gardeners would welcome:
    gloves, both cotton knit & the rubber-coated kind
    seed packets & boxes of seeds
    bulbs, including Stella D-Oro daylily, a true lily whose name I forgot to remember, crocosmia, & rain lilies
    sunblock
    hand lotion & moisturizers
    seed starter cells

etc...use your imagination!
  • TxMarti
    9 years ago

I have a lot of daffodils blooming already, along with yarrow I think.

• Related Discussions

WANTED: Trade Lists Ft Worth Autumn Swap November 1 2014

Q

Comments (135)
    pkponder Maybe mine are too deep in the water. The rhizomes are about 4-6 inches below the surface. It's mainly just the tips, about 2 inches, of the leaves that turn brown, like all of them. It's on a cinderblock already, but maybe I need to put something else under it to raise it up a bit more. Can't hurt to try. One more question, whats a good media to use for repoting pond plants? I know both of mine came with the "sludge" type stuff in the pots but I don't recall seeing that type for sale anywhere. Any places around Ft. Worth that sell it? Or just the technical name of it so I can google around. Or maybe there's something better to use? Thanks again, Phil
    ...See More

HAVE: Ft Worth Spring Swap Trinity Park April 18

Q

Comments (216)
    Two days in and I'm slowly killing PK's Texas Columbine and I don't know how to make it better. It is losing it's pretty flowers and some of the leaves look like they are dry and crispy. It got rain on Saturday and sun on Sunday and then I noticed it was dropping it's flowers. So I moved it to the shade. It seems like the leaves look dry, even though the soil is moist (but not soaked). and I watered it a bit more yesterday, so the soil feels damp but not soaked. Could it be it doesn't like the wind? I really love it and want to save it. Any tips would be appreciated.
    ...See More

2nd annual 'Shovel Prune' plant swap (Portland area)

Q

Comments (14)
    I'm going-it was fun last year and Duane had some very nice and unusual plants that I was happy to get. Yes, I "shovel pruned" my Epimedium sulphureum, but that doesn't make it any less desirable. I have potted up a number of other things so that they will be well adjusted by Apr.: Hostas, variegated and blue-green; Carex "Toffee Twist"; Daylilies "Fairy Tale Pink", & "Canadian Border Patrol"; Aster "September Charm"; Bulbous Oat Grass; Solomon's Seal; Clematis "Hagley Hybrid" and "Mme. Le Coultre (Marie Boisselot)" and probably more.
    ...See More

Fort Worth spring swap Saturday April 8th Forest Park

Q

Comments (117)
    No problem! Hopefully we can get some members to be posting on garden projects they are working on, would love to share photos and chat. @PKPonder, I need to take pics of the canna you gave me! So happy with them, they grew like crazy this simmer & were great for the problem area. Thanks again!
    ...See More
  • sylviatexas2
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I potted up some lamb's ears yesterday.
  • sylviatexas1
    9 years ago

Here's the first yellow iris of 2015.

frozen.

didn't look any further, had to come inside to thaw out.

• sylviatexas2
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    updating my "have" list:

vinca minor, the green (as opposed to variegated) kind

2 bromeliads if they live, me not being a bromeliad person

blue spruce sedum if anyone *tells me* that they want it

similar sedum in a lime or mint or apple green

artemesia

lemon mint, approximately a zillion of 'em & can get more

sedum that's similar to Autumn Joy, only the flowers are lavender I think. If not lavender, white.

edited to add:

coral honeysuckle 1

vitex at least 1

lamb's ears

yarrow, may be white or yellow

can get fig cuttings if fig leafs out in time

want list:

Plants:
    I always say I don't need any more plants, & then I see something wonderful at the swap & go "Oh, I *must* have one of those!"

perennial mums, any color, are good, &
    crabapple, peach, apricot, and/or loquat seedlings are great.

Other than plants:
    potting soil, the $3 kind you get at lowes in a large plain white plastic bag.
    garden gloves from Dollar Tree, either the cotton knit or the rubber palmed kind
    bypass pruners, any kind or brand
  • abarbie4me2
    9 years ago

I'm hoping to make the swap. Haven't had a chance to see what is up enough that I can dig yet with all of the rain. I'll try to do that this weekend.

• sylviatexas2
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Yay! Did you see that we're having a FW Swap as well, the following week-end?
    I don't know how much the bad freeze set us all back;
    I'm hoping some more things green up within the next 3 weeks so they'll have time to adjust to being dug up!

forgot to say 2 things earlier:

A friend is wnting to make a bottle tree & can't find blue bottles;
    I'll swap for blue bottles!

& I'll swap for some stuff to help an organization that helps people here in town:
    bath & hand soaps
    shampoo
    lotion
    dish soap
    laundry soap
    bleach
    etc.
  • abarbie4me2
    9 years ago

Yeah, I'm bummed that I can't go to the FW Swap :(
    I can bring soaps and shampoos like you get at Hotels if that would help.. Yard is sopping wet but I'll put on my water boots and sludge thru.

• sylviatexas2
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Yep! Those'll work great!
  • PKponder TX Z7B
    9 years ago

On the blue bottles, wine or beer sized? I won't make it to the Waxahachie swap, but can bring blue bottles to the Fort Worth swap if your friend still wants some.

• abarbie4me2
    9 years ago

It's just too wet to dig in the black clay but I did go around and note things that could be dug.
    daffodils (Sylvia)
    apple mint
    inland seaoats
    Japanese Honeysuckle (travelled from my neighbors yard. ugh)
    Brazilian rockrose
    Tiny Mt Laurel plants
    garlic
    society garlic
    fall obedient
    purple snapdragon vine
    gulf coast penstemon
    Maximilian sunflower
    Clove currant
    white passion vine
    mexican hydrangea still dormant but stalks are sticking up
    Green rose unrooted cutting
    red skullcap unrooted cuttings
    Rosa Palustris -rose hips (Sylvia)
    Cherokee rose- rose hips (Sylvia)
    Sunshine prairie rose - rose hips (Sylvia)

soaps, shampoos etc (Sylvia)

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    9 years ago

I am going to try to make it. I would love to have blue spruce sedum, Sylvia. Looks like I will have to go to Dollar Tree and see what I can find to bring to the swap. Although, I may be able to pot up some old fashioned sedum. I don't know what it is, but it has lavender blooms in the fall that the bees love.

• sylviatexas2
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you so much, Pam, I just messaged her on facebook!
    walnutcreek, I'll put some of the blue spruce sedum in a container for you!
    barbie, your list is awesome; I'll have to look up some of that stuff;
    meanwhile, I'm confused (first time *that's* ever happened!)
    Are you bringing rose hips, or cuttings of plants that make hips?
  • abarbie4me2
    9 years ago

lol. I can bring rose hips for those native roses. I've had better luck with growing from seeds then from cuttings of roses. The green rose never has rose hips though so I could bring cuttings for that one

• sylviatexas2
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Pam, Beverly is thrilled that you have blue bottles! She can use any of them, although she says it seems like she's got a better start on the beer-sized ones for the bottle tree!

barbie, if you have enough daffodils, I'd like some;
    please let me know what I can bring you in exchange.

I've always heard that starting roses from seed is difficult;
    if you can recommend a good method, I could try some of your rose hips!
  • abarbie4me2
    9 years ago

Sylvia got you down for all of the above. I just put the rose hips in a pot and keep moist.
    I'm wanting to make a living wreath kinda like http://www.bhg.com/gardening/container/plans-ideas/make-a-succulent-wreath/, Would the sedums like you have work for this? If so I would like some.

• sylviatexas2
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    huh. I got the page, but no picture. I'll bring you some sedums & you can see how they work; the "big" ones grow all gangly in the garden, but mayte they wouldn't if they were in a more controlled environment.
  • sylviatexas2
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    LOL, I must have missed something,

12-packs of...what?

I potted up a holly fern & an iffy comfrey (it all depends on whether it takes root)

also pineapple mint
  • PKponder TX Z7B
    9 years ago

Sorry Sylvia, I should have been more specific. You said that Beverly had a start on blue beer bottles. I have been collecting blue bottles from a neighbor and my personal recreation for a long time for a garden edging project and can share a few 12 packs of the Bud light Platinum blue beer bottles. The labels are a bear to remove so these will still have the labels on them.

My head hurts so bad and is so foggy from allergies, that post of mine did not make sense, sorry.

• sylviatexas2
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    LOL! I just figured I missed something.
    not that that's ever happened before...
    Thanks so much:
    Beverly is *thrilled*!

I've had headaches, brain fog, sluggishness for the past few days, too;
    incredible that we were in the arctic blast just a short time ago, & now we're in the grip of springtime allergies!
  • TxMarti
    9 years ago

Looks like I am going to miss it again. I hope someone takes pictures.

• sylviatexas2
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Please look at my list on the FW Swap page & let me know what you'd like me to bring to the Waxahachie swap (how's that for lazy? I have a sinus headache; that's my story & I'm stickin' to it!).
  • purslanegarden
    8 years ago

Am I right in understanding that for this plant swap event, cuttings are OK? I have been to some plant sale events where a specific rule was, no cuttings, only rooted plants (even if you rooted them from cuttings, but they should established in their pot with roots already). But those were "sale" events rather than "swap" events, which I kind of take it as a trading event and no actual money might be used. In other words, if I want something from someone, I should be having something to trade with, not just money.

Though in fact, one of the things I have thought about is, I like sharing plants....but I didn't think I'd get more in return. In short, I would like to thin out my plants and materials, not necessarily bring back about the same amount that I took.

Is it ok to "give away" at the swaps?

• sylviatexas2
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago
    Cuttings are perfectly good, wonderful even, *as long as they're labeled or identified as cuttings*.

We never have had a problem here, but other swaps have had sporadic trouble with people representing cuttings as established plants.

If someone wants, say, some cuttings of David Austin roses & is happy to trade an established plant for them, well & good.

but if someone thinks he/she is getting plants for plants...not good at all.

The swap is an excellent opportunity to thin out our gardens, since we usually have gardeners of long standing who are floating in a sea of green as well as new gardeners who have very little.

"Even-steven" isn't necessary at all, just happiness with the trade on both sides, but we do ask newbies to bring *something* to trade, even if it's a stem of bananas or $1 gloves from Dollar Tree.

If you want to trade one plant or a flat of plants for a pair of those gloves, it's perfectly cool!

edited to add:
    just realized I don't know that I answered the question:
    yes, giving stuff away is always cool!
  • sylviatexas1
    8 years ago

I just re-arranged the flowerpots;

whew!

what a bunch of plants!

Here's my new list:

soapwort

obedient plant

lemon mint (puhleeze somebody take some of this wonderful-smelling plant!)

pineapple mint

garlic chives

groundcover sedum Blue Spruce

four o'clocks

vinca minor (vining plant that likes bright shade, evergreen if you water it during August & mulch it during the winter)

lamb's ears

yarrow

will dig up dwarf cannas, yellow or yellow with an orange throat, & red oak seedlings if someone wants them.

• sylviatexas2
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    also cutting-grown vitex / chaste trees &
    a few daisies, maybe Shasta
  • purslanegarden
    8 years ago

It's exciting to see your list, but I have a functionality question. Do you get these to the location by your own car or do you plan to rent something? I'm curious about that myself because as I think about the plants and items I could potentially bring, I think my car would be loaded and maybe not even possible to take as many things as I wanted to.

• sylviatexas2
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Everyone brings their plants & whatnot in their own vehicles.

One trader planned to swap vehicles with her husband, taking his truck so she could bring (& take home) more things.

When he saw the amount of garden stuff she had laid out, he said something to the effect of "Wait right here, Honey"...& rented a U-Haul trailer so his truck would stay pristine!

You can stack boxes of plants if you use boxes that are a little taller than the plants;
    Dollar Tree often has boxes, & grocery store banana boxes are good; they can be cut down to the best height.
  • darlenegalindo
    8 years ago

Sylvia, I'll take some of your pineapple and lemon mint. I'm not sure of what all I will have, but I will have something to trade with you besides the iris that I promised you already. Thanks.

• sylviatexas1
    8 years ago

will bring the 2 kinds of mint!

I have at least 20 small containers of the lemon mint, so I'm hoping a lot of people, at both swaps, want some of it!

• texasgin
    8 years ago

I am planning on coming...my first swap. So I am taking in all the advice. Will have a picture of my empty flower bed to share so you all can give me ideas and hopefully plants. I will hit the stores to bring something for trade. I'm looking forward to putting faces with the names.

• sylviatexas2
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Yay!
  • purslanegarden
    8 years ago

@texasgin, if you have a Dollar Tree or 99-cent store nearby, they have a fun variety of useful gardening supplies. Also, having been to Lowes recently where the clearance plants are making their way, it's been fun to browse there, too, and pick up items for the yard (or additionally, for a swap). And every maple, pecan, and redbud seedling (some of them 6" tall) that I pull up from my yard, I keep thinking -- hmmm, maybe someone would want that!

• sylviatexas2
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Speaking of seedlings, can anyone use red oak seedlings?
    I also have a few pecan seedlings, but they're really just tiny things, the pecan itself is the biggest part of them, & they already have long taproots!
    texasgin, you can bring grocery store items, too;
    at the last swap, someone brought bananas & individually wrapped string cheese, & she was a big hit!

I hope to have some irises;
    a colleague wants me to help with her garden, & the first thing to do is clean out the iris bed.
    It's in the wrong place, & she's sick of 'em.
    Yay!

so I'm planning to go out tomorrow or Friday & help her, keep a clump or 2 (is this a disease or what?), & the rest need homes!

I don't know yet what color(s), don't even know if she knows, so this will be a kind of grab bag.
  • sylviatexas2
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Darlene, will Augie be coming with you?
    Since Beth can't make it to the FW Swap, I have that small Martha Gonzales rose that needs a home, & I know he likes roses.
    It's an excellent garden rose, a China; bright red single blooms, burgundy new growth, blue-green foliage, & it's been evergreen for me.
    It's not too big & really adds a bright "exclamation point" to the garden.
  • TxMarti
    8 years ago

I just saw on weather report that there is an 80% chance of thunderstorms Saturday. Do you have a contingency plan for this meet?

Since I can't come, I haven't been digging anything for it, but I have been digging out Asian jasmine and nandinas. I've got the nandinas potted and can take run them by during lunch if anyone wants them. I have a wheelbarrow full of Asian jasmine blocks and can bag those if anyone is brave enough to put them in your yard. lol I also have a few 1 gallon and 5 gallon pots. I also have another rue plant this year.

• darlenegalindo
    8 years ago

Yes, Sylvia, my helper will be coming with me. I figure I only have another year or so before he doesn't want to come with me anymore :( He does love roses. LOL. I'm sure he will be happy to take it off your hands. Thanks for thinking of him.

Marti8a, I would love to take the rue plant off your hands if it hasn't been spoken for. Are you looking for anything in particular in trade? Thanks.

I'm also curious about the rain policy. Rain or shine?

• sylviatexas1
    8 years ago

If it rains, we'll head for the gazebo!

• purslanegarden
    8 years ago

Marti, if you can make it to the Fort Worth swap in the following weekend, you can bring some of your plants to that, too!

Other than window blinds, which I don't spare ones or have access to, is there a good or recommended way to label the potted plants?

I had forgotten about the rain possibility. In fact, I saw the weather prediction for this weekend and was glad for it for my yard, but as for the plant swap, oh noes!

• TxMarti
    8 years ago

darlene, I'll see if I can dig it up tomorrow. I have to go to be in Dallas at noon, and hope my appointment doesn't drag on too long. A noon appointment really messes up my day.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    8 years ago

I use my label maker and put a sticker on the pot.

• sylviatexas1
    8 years ago

went to help a friend clean out her iris bed this morning, & I now have a *bunch* of them! sorry for the bad photo, it was the best I could get. The bloom looks a lot like albicans, & it's just finishing its but it had a lavender stain or tinge, & it has stardust!

bloom season,

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    8 years ago

As much as I hate to say this, I will not be able to attend the swap tomorrow after all. Just got back from going to the doctor for my sinus problems and allergy problems. He told me to stay inside and not go outside unless absolutely necessary. These pollens in the air are playing havoc with my body and head. Had to take a mouthful of Advair this morning just to be able to breathe. '

Y'all have fun.

• sylviatexas1
    8 years ago

Dang!

These allergies are about to kill us all.

Take care of yourself, & we hope to see you either at the FW Swap next week-end or at least at the Waxahachie Autumn Swap!

• sylviatexas1
    8 years ago

Well, there were a lot of people, both old friends & new ones, & it was a lot of fun. Jo Ann may have turned me into a total rose nut by telling me how easy it is to start roses from seed! Thanks to all who made the swap enjoyable & successful, & I hope to see you all in the autumn!

• texasgin
    8 years ago

I attended my first plant swap, and will be attending more. I met Sylvia, Darlene, Augie and Marti. All very knowledgable of plants. Thanks to Darlene I brought home more than I thought I needed. Planted them yesterday and used them all. Imagine that. Thank you all.

• sylviatexas2
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Texasgin, you slipped away when I "wasn't looking"!

I'm so glad you had a good time & got a bunch of plants for your garden.
  • franksmom_2010
    8 years ago

Sorry I missed it! I had dug up a few things, but had to work. I have someone who's interested in the plants, though, so they won't go to waste.

Glad everyone had a good time, and I hope to make the fall swap!

• darlenegalindo
    8 years ago

It was my first time to attend and I had a great time. Saw old and new friends as well. Joanne and Sylvia, you must share your rose secrets with me. LOL. Looking forward to the Fort Worth swap this coming Saturday.