SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
danielstutzbach

Critique our kitchen design

Daniel
9 years ago

We're close to ordering our cabinets. Before we pull the trigger, I'd love to have feedback from the gardenweb community.

Our kitchen and dining room are one large room. The backyard is through the sliding glass door to the west. Through the door to the south is the living room, a reading room, and the front door to the house. Further south are the other bedrooms. Down the hall to the east is the guest bedroom, laundry area, a bathroom, and a door to the garage.

Our house was built in 1965 and is just under 2,000 square feet. We bought the house a bit less than two years ago from the original owners who didn't update it but took immaculate care of it.

My wife and I have a 1 year old. Possibly there will be more children in the future. We plan to stay in the house at least until the children are grown.

My wife is the primary cook (she went to culinary school), and I am the primary dishwasher. I'm also a decent cook and cooking together is one of our favorite activities. We love to entertain and incorporated quite a lot of seating into our design: the island easily seats 4 and the table can be moved and extended to seat 10.

Appliances:

DW 1: Miele Futura Dimension G 5675 SC SF (our current DW)

DW 2: Miele Profile PG 8083 SCVi (it's overkill, but I like overkill)

Miele KM 6386 induction cooktop (assuming it's released in the USA before we finish the remodel...)

Thermador T36BT800NP refrigerator (or maybe the 810NS or 820NS)

Wolf PL402212 hood

Miele Combi-Steam Oven, Plumbed

Miele 30" Convection Oven M Touch, Plumbed

The cabinets will be cherry with a truffle stain from Crystal Cabinets. The counters will be Corian Rain Cloud. The floors will be hardwood, a medium-light red oak (matching existing flooring elsewhere in the house).

Is there anything else we should consider in our design? Thoughts, comments, questions, and other feedback welcome. I spent countless hours reading through the collective wisdom of the gardenweb kitchen and appliance forums just to get this far.

Comments (3)